Status: ACTIVE! FINALLY! =]

Under the Moonlight (It's Too Dark to See)

Four: Discovery

There was a song called "One Week" by a band called Barenaked Ladies or something written way back when I was a kid. Well, the chorus, "It's been one week since you looked at me" kind of describes my predicament pretty well.

I hadn't seen any sign of Gavin for an entire week. And that week was probably the most normal one I'd had in a while. Rhys was back on his feet, and I was moving along in life. Perfect and normal in every way, shape, and form.

The normality continued all week--I went to school, got ignored/called a freak, did something "wrong" and continued to serve detention for it every night, and laid in my bed , thinking myself to sleep--until Friday afternoon in my history class, when December leaned over and whispered in my ear.

"Why haven't you talked to Gavin lately?"

I sighed and whispered back. "Because he's a bleeding asshole and hasn't stopped by."

"Well, you kind of told him to get lost..."

I grimaced. "Yeah, but I didn't expect him to actually go through with it..."

"Yeah, but there's a lot about him you don't know."

"If you're gonna say he's whipped, I know that one already."

She smiled slightly. "No... He just can't say certain things to certain people."

"I.E, me."

"Yeah. Basically."

"Like what? You can tell me... Right?"

"I can... But I'm not sure if I should or not."

"You should."

"Okay, fine. I'll come over tonight. Sleepover and all. There, I'll tell you everything you want and need to know. Okay?"

"Sounds good. I'll order pizza or something..."

"Um, hon... I'm a werewolf."

"Just act normal! You know how my mum feels about werewolves!"

>DING!<

The bell chimed proudly, signaling the end of class. December got up and trotted out the door, long red hair flowing behind her. Everyone else around me shuffled their books together and exited the room, but I--being the problem child I am--got asked to see Mr. Wembley after class.

I sighed, putting my books on his desk. He was this stereotypical History teacher--the kind that looked like he'd been around for all those old battles. Like, say...the Crusades.

"What is it this time?" I asked, almost afraid to know what stupidity I was being called out for this time.

"The boots."

I looked down at my feet, gazing at my dull, scuffed combat boots. "What about them?"

"They don't fit school regulations."

"Hey, you know what? They told me to get black shoes. They never specified anything else."

"Well, the principal bought you these." He revealed a shoebox to me. "They're nines. They'll fit, yes?"

"On a sailboat, maybe..." I mumbled.

Mr. Wembley frowned. "Change, Isola? Please?"

Well, he did say please... I groaned in defeat. "Fine, whatever..." I grabbed the shoes and nearly gagged on the spot. "Ew. My God." It was shiny and black, with a four centimeter heel on it.

"There's not a snowball's chance in hell I can walk in that!" I said as I put it on my foot. "I'll kill myself in this heel!"

"Just put the other one on, Isola."

I did as so and grumbled, slinging my boots over my shoulder with my tote and stumbling out of the classroom.

Good thing I had free period, or I'd be getting bitched at for being late. Again.

I made my way to my locker and found a single crimson rose out of the vent and rolled my eyes, opening the door to shove the shoes inside. When I shut the door, I saw Gavin out of the corner of my eye and jumped.

"You scared me, you jerk!" I yelled, smacking his bicep.

He only smiled. "Sorry."

"How'd you get in here anyway? You're a vampire--allergic to the sun, remember?"

"I flew in as a bat when you left detention last night." He paused. "You need to learn how to behave, little lady."

"Bite me."

"Gladly." He grinned. That flawless, beautiful grin that showed off his perfect teeth.

I shook my head, closing my eyes. "How've you stayed here without notice?"

"Slept in the rafters as a bat and I've been disguised as a student all day. That's how." He put his hands on his hips as I only rolled my eyes. "I figured you would be happy to see me, sheesh."

"Not really. Go home or something."

"Ah, but that's something I can't do. Daylight."

I shook my head and began to walk away. He grabbed my wrist, and I tried to yank away.

"Just give me three seconds, Isola. That's all I need."

"Fine. Three seconds. Go."

He drew in a breath.

"Two."

"Fine! Look, Isola, I'm sorry I made you angry last night. I am. But I can't tell you what's going on. All I can tell you is that you need to watch out for yourself, because you're in really big trouble. And I mean really big trouble. You need to step up and play the heroine card."

"Who says I want to be a hero?"

"When your mother and brother are at stake, I do."

I stopped. "You better not do a thing to them!"

"Not me. I can't tell you who. Isola, you can save us all."

I shook my head. "And if I don't?"

"Then the world gets overrun with vampires. There will be no humans left. Hell, that's if they decide to leave Earth intact."

"Great. Now we have an alien problem on our hands. Lovely. Well, it just so happens, Mr. Butler, that I'm not playing these games. So what if the world ends? It's done nothing for me."

He grabbed my shoulders now and stared into my eyes. "You don't understand."

"I understand perfectly," I said, wrenching his hands off my shoulders. "Now leave me alone."

"But, Is--"

"Good bye, Gavin."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so the title sucked, but...sorry.

Comment? =] They keep my motivations up. =D

Chapter Title Credit: My own head. (My titles = suckish)

xoxo.