My Knight in Shining...Ah, Screw It. He's an Egotistical Asshole.

(10) My Knight and Shining...ah, screw it. He's a

I woke up to screaming. I shot out of my bed, unexpected of exactly what had happened. I struggled against myself, wanting my eyes to squeeze back shut. I stumpled over, also unaware of my uneven balance. I heard someone muttering something from downstairs, and i grasped the wall for support as i plunged the staircase to the victim of the screams. I hesitated as i rounded the corner. Only to find that no one was there. I sighed in relief, but tensed once again when i heard muttering coming from my mother's room.

For fear for her, and not for myself I ran into the room at once, without a second thought. She had the covers thrown off of her, and sweet threatened to drown her. I climbed onto the wet bed, to sooth my mother shaking and cold.

"My...my baby."

"D-don't hurt my baby!" She shrieked.

She was...thinking about me. About the horrible times, and gruesome scenes when my dad would beat me only inches from death. Before turning back to my mother for a more sturdier punching-bag.

I swept the hair that was sticking onto her face away. Grabbing her at once, trying desperately to hold her in my arms like a child, when really, I was smaller than her.

"Mamma..." I whispered, combing my hand through her matted hair.

"I'm ok. Mom, I'm ok. Dad's gone, remember?" I spoke repeatidly soothing her urgingly with every breath.

"Remember, we moved to Illinois...away from him. He can't find us. I promise." I tried again to smooth the fragile, shaking rag-doll that was my mother.

Slowly her shaking stiffled as she breathed evenly.

"Illinois..." She breathed, snuggling closer to me.

I repeated her moves, getting comfortable, and pulling the wet sheets back on top of both of us.

I petted her hair dazily, unaware that I was now drifting back to sleep.

I know you may think that it's an awful lot of work to have to do this many times a week, but you have to understand that she would do the same for me when I had nightmares as a young child, and even today. Or the fact how she had given me advice today, and picked me up when I was down. Family does that for eachother. The people that care about you would do that for you, and boy...did I care for my mommy. My strong, independant mommy.

As my hand seized to comb, and my body numbly fell into slumber I could hear my mom's breath on my ear.

"Goodnight, my honeybee....and thank you." I smiled, subconsciously.

I woke up to chirping, and the smell of bacon..

I hazily proped myself on my elbows, and sighed. Noticing that it was fairly obvious how little sleep I actually got. I turned my head to the red-numbered alarm clock. Air caught in my throat as I noticed the time...almost seven o'clock. School started soon, and the bus arrived even sooner. I jumped from my mom's bed, and darted out of the room.

"Hey, sweety!" My mom said, smiling and flipping bacon in a pan.

"Gotta go shower, I'm late!" I shouted as I came across the top of the stairs, and headed towards the bathroom. I accidentally ran into the door, in my hurry to get ready. I muffled an "ow." Before opening the door, throwing a towel onto the shower door, turning on the water. It was freezing, but I didn't have time to care. I quickly washed up before hopping out, and grabbing some plain jeans that I hadn't really worn in a while and a light blue short sleeved shirt, with a light pink peace sign on it. I let my hair stay wet, and grabbed an eyelash curler and mascara. I did that as soon as possible, and combed my fingers through my hair on my way down.

I kissed my mom's cheek, and thanked her for the breakfast before I grabbed the bacon and threw it into my mouth. I approached the door, and slipped on some sneakers, trying not to spit out the bacon as it burned my tongue.

I ran outside with my backpack, groaning as the raindrops I hadn't noticed fell, and hit my head and shoulders. Soaking my wet hair even more.

I ran up the street, only to see the back of the school bus pulling away from the curb, and heading farther and farther away from me, towards the school. I hit the concrete, and put my arms on my knees as I leaned my head towards the ground. I sighed deeply.

I use to miss school all the time. I couldn't go because I had to go to a small hospital outside of the interstate. They were friends of my mom's and new our situation well. One of the only people we could trust. But I had told my new school, I wouldn't miss as many days like I did before. But what where they going to fail me out, now that I've already missed a day on the third day of school?

Why was my life so hard?

I get up in the middle of the night to free my mom of our past, and her nightmares, and in return, I'm late for school and possibly have to move again.

Gah, right when I finally allow myself to make friends. It was obvious I wasn't meant to live here, or make friends. But even more obvious that there were no happy, and easily-given happy endings in this story, no. Just practically impossible obsticales.

I was about to cry, and go to the park, when I could faintly hear My Apocalypse by Escape The Fate coming closer, and closer. Becoming louder, and louder. I looked up, drying the light tears and raindrops from my face.

And there, across the street parked near the sidewalk was a red Ferrari. But what shocked me the most, was the gorgeous boy standing infront of it. Looking nothing like a popular, rich, snobby, and disrespectful boy that I had known. It was Jacob Naughtingham.

Blairing the music to one of my favorite bands. I shook of the exciting, hungry feeling I had, staring into his blue eyes. Not knowing how much longer I would be able to ignore it..