My Knight in Shining...Ah, Screw It. He's an Egotistical Asshole.

(28) My Knight and Shining...ah, screw it. He's a

I woke up to a more than annoying alarm clock. You know in cartoon’s where they take the alarm clock and chuck it at the nearest brick wall, that suddenly appears out of nowhere?

Yea. Well, that’s how I felt. I groaned as it’s never ending beating thumped in my ears. I got up and swung the closet doors open. The only good thing about waking up was seeing Jake. I pulled out an outfit for school. Just a plain strapless green shirt, and jeans, nothing flattering; it was just school.

(http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/12/21/previews/Selena%20Gomez-ALO-003990.jpg)

I took a quick shower, and wringed out my hair, I brushed it and then let it fall wet and straggly on my shoulders. I grabbed some black converses, and headed downstairs.

I came down to the smell of pancakes, making my mouth water. I inhaled deeply as I rounded the corner. My mom giggled wildly as she flipped the oval piece of doe high in the air. I grinned at the sight, and she squealed when she saw me.

“Oh Toby! I’m glad you came down. I hope you don’t mind that I snuck in your room and set your alarm early enough for you to actually be able to sit down and eat with me.”

No wonder I felt exceptionally tired. I hadn’t even bothered to check the clock.

“Actually, that’s not a bad idea. I’ve been so busy lately, I miss talkin’ to ya!” I chimed, and sat down as my mom turned off the stove and dropped a pancake on a flower-y plate that I always ate on as a little girl. She had packed it up with the other things before we left my father.

She served it right in front of me, and added some maple syrup. When she wasn’t looking, I grabbed the syrup bottle and drenched it in more syrup. Yummm. Did I mention I like syrup? Ha. So anyways, I sliced the pancake into edible pieces, though it was easy. Mom always made them light and fluffy.

“So. I have some really awesome news for you.” She paused, gulping down an un-syrupy pancake.

“Hmm?” Time was ticking away till Jake would be honking outside the house.

“I have a date.” I chocked on dry pancake.

“WHAT! You didn’t even tell me you started liking someone.” I scolded. My mom and I usually told each other everything. She nodded sheepishly.

“It’s true honey, I’m very sorry I didn’t warn you, but with your new friends and boyfriend, I thought you wouldn’t have time for my petty love-life.”

I rolled my eyes. “Mom, they can all wait. Who is he? Do I know him?”

“I’m not sure. He’s my boss, Mr. Davis.” Again, I chocked on dry pancake. It seemed to become a habit all of a sudden.

“Davis?” I repeated.

“Davis.” She answered.

“That’s my best friend’s father.” Her eyes flickered, and widened a little.

“Oh. Now why didn’t I make that connection? You have a best friend named Blaire, and he told me he had a daughter named Blaire.”

I just laughed at her. My mom was so absent-minded sometimes.

“I don’t know why mom.” I joked.

I heard an engine roar down the street.

“But is it ok with you that I go out tonight on a date with him?” She asked, cleaning up our plates I walked over to gather up my book bag.

“Yeah. That’d be so great. He seemed really nice when I met him, and Blaire would be a great sister.”

“Whoa there horsy. I’m not marrying the guy. It’s just one date.” She reassured.

“Yeah, yeah whatever.” The car’s horn honked outside.

“I’ll just go over to Blaire’s after school, and then you can pick me up on your way home.”

“Mk.” She said.

“Have fun!” I yelled once I was out the door.

I grinned crazily once I saw a smiling Jacob sitting in his the front seat of the car.

I threw my bag in the back of the car and hopped into the front seat. Jake pecked me with another one of those tender kisses that makes my stomach do flips that cheerleaders would be proud of.

“Who’s having fun?” He asked, as I strapped the seatbelt over my shoulder.

“My mom, you won’t believe this. But she’s going out with Blaire’s dad tonight.”

He cracked up.

“What’s so funny?” I demanded.

“That’s SO awkward!” He laughed out.

“Oh sushh little boy. Don’t hate just because my mom’s got great game.” I said cheesily, but he just laughed even harder. I took this as my key to start playing some music. First we listened to Deathbed by There for Tomorrow, and then we listened to Cemetery Drive by My Chemical Romance.

I know it’s strange that we don’t converse much while on our way to school, but it’s the only time I get to listen to music without getting in trouble all day. But of course the moment I get home I can jam out again.

After entering the building. Jacob walked me up to his two most closest friends. I mean I’ve seen them around, but he’s never introduced me to them.

“Toby, Demitri. Demitri, Toby.” Idiot. Didn’t he know this kid was already in my second period class? The one that HE is in as well?

Sighs dramatically. Boys…

“Kevin, Toby. Toby, Kevin.” I shook the familiar boy’s hand. The one who had helped me out the night of that incident with Cody. I shivered at the memory. I’d have to send him a thank you card or something.

“Hi Toby, I’ve heard a lot about you.” Kevin said, smiling jokingly at Jake.

“Haven’t we all?” Demitri added.

“Shut up.” Jake teased.

“Hey. Nice to meet you guys for real this time.” I then said.

They nodded. We talked for a few more minutes until I realized that I had to part. I needed to get my stuff from my locker before the bell rang.

I turned the combination, and opened the locker. I saw something fall from the corner of my eye. A piece of paper. I gulped. Pieces of paper in lockers now-a-days was getting a bad reputation.

I unfolded the creases, to reveal familiar handwriting. The kind from the last unpleasant note I got.

“Be strong Toby, for Jacob’s heart belongs to someone else.”

It read. I felt a tinge of pain go through me, just reading it. No. He loved me right? Hadn’t he said that? I just gulped down my fear, gathered my things and left. But on the way, one thing kept bothering me.

Why didn’t I throw the piece of paper away?

Math was weird. Max was happier than usual. I mean, lately the kid had been a plain sourpuss to me, so I found it just a tad suspicious that he’s suddenly turned into his former cousin. All bi-polar and shit.

Then it just became more and more weird. He talked to me. Like a normal person would... how odd.

“Hey.” He said sitting down next to me. I had just been taking to Blaire to see if it was all right with her if I came over after school. Then she said that I should just go home with her. Then we started being all over dramatic and gossiped about how weird it was for our parent’s to be out dating again, and how even more weird that they were dating each other. But we suddenly became excited, thinking we might even end up as sisters. That was the one thing I actually didn’t mind, because Blaire was someone you could easily get along with, and not fight much with. A good quality in a sister, I’d say.

“Uh… hi.” I looked at him a little irritated, because he kind of just interrupted my conversation.

Blaire raised an eyebrow at me, and I just shrugged. Even her and Adam new something was up with Max. They said he wasn’t taking the relationship between Jacob and I very well. It of course made me feel guilty. Max had been so nice to me when I first got here. I mean… I should have at least gotten to see if we were compatible. But I couldn’t now, because I was already hooked on Jacob Naughtingham, just like every other female was at this school. Or even in a ten-mile radius for that matter.

“I want to apologize, Toby.” He said. Blaire seemingly took that as a sign to pivot around in her chair, to work on her math. We both knew she had done that for our sake, because I mean… Blaire using free time to study…what would the world be coming to?

“For what?” I was playing dumb.

Max seemed a tad guilty, and irritated. Well SORRRRYY Mr. Bipolar, but you’re the idiot that closed up our friendship. He had to deal with my bitch side now.

Sucks for him.

“For not being a friend to you.”

“It was wrong of me to be so selfish.” He added. I looked him in the eyes. Something funky was stirring in them. Something so smoldered and hidden that I couldn’t help but stare, I felt like if I looked hard enough, the gray stormy blanket would lift, and I’d see his hidden motive.

He waved a hand in front of my face.

“I know I’m gorgeous…but.” He joked.

“Don’t flatter yourself Maximillion.” I said, using his whole name for emphasis.

“Then why were you looking at me like that?” He asked, a smirk teasing the corners of his-suddenly cocky-mouth.

“Are you, ok?” I asked, as pure hatred leaked from under his blanketed pupils. An emotion so deriving, that I found myself leaning away from him.

“Yea?” He looked at my slow retreating figure, and suddenly the hatred was gone.

I just gave him a weird blank stare.

“How are you and Jacob?” He said changing the subject, but what didn’t pass me was the lighting brewing in the gray depths, tiny bolts of jealousy, daring me to make them stronger. His eyes were portals to all of the reasons he hasn’t been talking to me.

Was all that hatred directed towards me?

Suddenly, my bitch side feared itself, and ran away. Leaving me with a cold feeling of guilt.

“We’re ok. I miss my bud though.” I said, trying to sound plea-full and sincere, though his bipolar disorder was freaking me out. I really hated myself for not coming and asking what was wrong sooner. It seemed now that re-gaining our old friendship was futile.

“I’ve missed you too.” His voice changed a little. I had been trying to avoid all the emotions swimming laps in his eyes.

But when I took a glance there, all the desperation in them was emerging.

Then for some weird reason, they reminded me of Cody.

I shuddered, thankful that the bell rang to start class. But throughout Math, Calculus was the last thing on my mind.

What was Max hiding? And why am I abruptly scared to face him?

Most importantly, what had I done that made him that way?

My fears of my dying friendship with Max were soon swept away when the bell rang, and I filed out of class. Jake’s calming blue eyes settled onto mine at once. His smile brightened, along with the rest of my day.

“Hey there.” He said, holding his arm open so that I would succumb in it.

“Hey.” I breathed, relaxing so much, letting his hold on me be the only thing I thought about.

Theater had become more and more fun for me. Of course Bitch-ette was still her scrawny, annoying self. She always volunteered to go on stage with Jacob, making my blood boil. It made me even madder when Jake just played along with the roll. But I always was relieved whenever she got to close, because Jake would yell cut, and take multiple steps back away from her. She would always frown at first, then turn to glare at me. But I returned the glare, with one more powerful of my own. Sometimes she would even shy away, if I was mad enough.

But other than that, Jake and I always volunteered to do the romantic parts together, most from them from Romeo and Juliet excerpts. Having us finally give in to our feelings, made our performances that more believable. We always got waves of applause when we finished.

As of right now though, we were all seated, finishing up the homework we were given a few minutes ago. Jake was sitting next to me, and was drawing circles into my legs as I placed them in his lap. It made it hard to do the work required, he didn’t seem to mind only because he was already finished. But I ended up finishing just as soon as Mr. M pounced up the stairs, and took place in the center of the stage.

“Quiet down children, I have a big announcement to make.” He yelled over our chattering voices.

Slowly our voices died down.

“To wrap up the Shakespeare unit, the Drama/Theater department is putting on a play.

“This includes all four Theater periods. All of you will be performing.”

“I have already given you parts in the play that was chosen. I will post it on the door on your way out.”

I raised my hand.

“Yes, Tabitha?” He asked. That man never could get his mouth to say the word Toby. I ignored the use of my full name, and continued with my question.

“Yes. Uhm, what play is it?”

“Romeo and Juliet.” My heart thudded. I knew Jake would get the part of Romeo, everyone other boy sucked on ice. But… what girl would get the part of his lover?

The bell rang and both Bridgette and I ran to the door, just as Mr. M was taping it up.
She got there first, and turned her back towards me, so I wouldn’t be able to view the list. Her finger scanned down the list, and hovered. I assumed she wanted to see who got to play the part of Juliet.

I could feel my heartbeat in my head, waiting for her reaction.

Finally she made a ‘humph’ sound and stormed out of the auditorium. I smiled, becoming hopeful as I viewed the list.

JULIET WILL BE PLAYED BY: TABITHA MONTGOMERY. I squealed a little despite myself.

“Hey baby, did you get the part you wanted?” Jake’s voice rang behind me.

I turned around and smiled, heading for the door.

“Yep.”

His voice became shaky as he followed behind me. “Well, Mr. M told me I got the part of Romeo already…” He trailed off, signaling me to give him more information.

“Mhmm. Congratulations.” I said teasingly, it was probably killing him thinking of all the girls in the class he would have to kiss instead of me. In fact, I hadn’t even thought about any other girl besides Bitch-ette, getting the part. I kept picturing their lip against his, and I became a little hot blooded. Furious if we were to go into technicalities.

“So. What part did you get- I mean want?” How sweet of him, he wanted me to play Juliet, but he was trying to act as though he would be happy with whatever part I got, as long as I was happy with it.

I stopped once we were away from the two bright red Theater doors.

I smiled up at him. “Well, looks like you get to be a true knight after all.”

He looked at me suspicious but it was obvious relief was there, even though I hadn’t said what my part was yet.

“Romeo…” I paused. “Meet your Juliet.” I let my grin widen as he picked me up in a bone-crushing hug.

“DAMNNIT TOBY! You had me worried for a second.” He scolded. I just laughed. Teasing him was fun.

“Sorry.” I said as he put me down.

“But you know what this means?” I asked as we began across the courtyard to make our way to history.

“What?” He asked confused.

I pushed him up against the brick wall with one finger, and stood on my tiptoes to give a more seductive effect.

“You better practice shining that armor of yours.” I whispered in his ear, with my body pressed up against his, and I could feel the shivers rumble over him underneath my finger. He sucked in his breath, as I went back to my normal stance, a foott away from him. Maybe even farther, because one- he probably needed space, and two- I really wanted to see the look on his face.

His eyes were closed at first, strained. But then he opened them swirling all around, like he was drunk. I smirked

“Damn.” He breathed. I just laughed, and quickly grabbed his hand, not wanting to be late to History.

******
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
you freaking rock!
♠ ♠ ♠
**Ask me if you want my quizilla, myspace, facebook, whatever.

I'll be sad when the story's over, but don't worry I have plenty idea's for new ones. =]