My Knight in Shining...Ah, Screw It. He's an Egotistical Asshole.

(9) My Knight and Shining...ah, screw it. He's an

The walk to the library was accustumed with me, walking fast, and jacob trying to catch up.

I slammed through the doors of the school, and ran up to the librarian desk in the middle of the room.
"Are there any computers open?"

The lady with thick grey glasses slowly looked up at me, and pointed to the computers behind her.

"There are five that are open." She said gravely, and went back to her work.

Cranky much?

I sat down, and breathed a sigh, seeing that I had FINALLY out run Jacob. You think him being mr. perfect, he'd at least be athletic, but I guess I was wrong about him. He isn't perfect. Wait...not that I thought he was perfect before, I mean...I mean, I'm just saying...that like, everyone else thought he was perfect. Right?

I slammed my head on the keyboard, earning a loud beeping noise. I was about to raise my head, when I heard grave amounts of laughter coming from my left.

"Why won't you leave me alone?" I groaned staring up at Jacob.

"Because, Tobbes, that would defeat the purpose of ANNOYING you." He smiled, logging on to his computer.

"Ugh, whatever JAKE." I spat. Well, if he was giving me a few nicknames, I figured I was allowed a little nick-name fun as well.

"I like that." He smiled, a weird glint in his eyes that I couldn't determine.

"Yea, yea." I said logging on to my own computer.

"Whose our explorer?"

"Francisco Vasquez de Coronado." I said. Idiot hadn't even read the paper.

..But you liked looking smart infront of him. WHAT!? Where is this voice coming from. I must be possesed to think anything good about Jacob Naughtingham.

"Is it just me, or do all explores have a spanish name." He said, staring at the explorer sheet. I stiffled a laugh. I was about to say, that it was because they were from spain, idiot. But he corrected himself.

"Well, duh. I know they're from Spain and all, but..I don't know. They all sound the same to me." He said shrugging and typing on the computer.

"Yea, I guess they sometimes do." I said, shaking my head, and writing down notes.

We continued doing this is more silence for a while. I would look over at him every once in awhile, wondering why he wasn't ravidly, and desperately trying to annoy me.

"So. I heard you moved down here, where were you from?" He asked, finally making conversation.

I shrugged. "Georgia." I simply stated.

"Wow. How come?" My hand froze on the keyboard, and I couldn't breathe. I hated when people would ask me about my old home. Memories would flood back to me, and I new tears would start to come. But i hurridly turned my head, and thought about the times when I would swing in the park. I knew better than to let the highschool cool guy see me cry. He would never think of me the same, and mock me for the rest of my life. Well, this year and the next but, whatever. I've only been here for two days, and it already feels like weeks. So, imagine two years....I shuddered.

"Tobbes?" Jacob said, waving a hand in my face.

"Can we just not talk... about that?" I asked, trying to focus on the computer screen.

I could see out of the corner of my eye, that Jacob was giving me a puzzled look, and I sort of felt bad for not telling him. But no one could know. If it ever leaked out.... gah, I don't even want to think about what would happen to my family. I couldn't ever be away from my mother.

"Then uh... Do you like it here?"

"Its ok. I guess in some ways it's better than my home, but then again it's not."

"Oh, how come? I mean, do you want to talk about it?" I almost gasped....was JACOB NAUGHTINGHAM being, considerate? I felt a weird emotion roar inside me. Like something had been bottled up and realesed. I felt tears come to my eyes again, and I wanted sooo bad to tell him about what i've been through. But I couldn't. This couldn't happen. We needed to go back to hating eachother.

"No. I don't, because your the reason I hate it here." Shock struck his gorgeous features, and his eyes turned back to their normal cold ways.

"Yea, well why don't you go back home then?"

I rolled my eyes, completely getting rid of the weird emotion that was in my stomach only moments before. As I wrote down my last set of notes. I logged off.

"Ya, I just might. Thanks." I spat, and got out of my seat, thanked the librarian lady, and left the library.

What.

An.

Ass.

Yea, sure i'll go back home. I'm sure I'm just bedazzling with a black eye, and a broken rib. Of course, and to think being healthy was good for you? Angry, sarcastic thoughts ran through my head, as I re-entered the classroom. This time, Jacob didn't follow.

Max came up immediately, with a worried expression. Which I assume my face gave away.

"What did he say to you?"

"Nothing. I just think life hates me." Infact, I actually was beginning to think it did.

"Well...if it's any consolation, I don't hate you." Max said, avoiding my eyes.

Did he...did he just give away his feelings for me? Looking up at this boy. I felt a soft feeling warm my body. I needed friends. This much I knew, I always had. I had been denying it all along. I didn't have to give any information of my past. But you can only be strong for sooo long. I was due for a hug. So thats what I did. I leaped on to Max, and squeezed. I felt a tear roll down my cheek, and didn't bother to wipe it away. If they were going to be true friends, like i've read about, they wouldn't care if they saw me cry.

Max, cradled me in his arms. By now the whole class was looking at us. But I didn't care what anyone thought now. Yea, I was the new girl. It was already a digrading title. Being the weird, emotional new girl wouldn't be far of a stretch.

After a few more moments, Max let me go. He wiped away the tear from my cheek, and held his hand there, at my cheek. But soon he was torn away by someone behind me.

I stared in shock as Jacob's fist came into a collision with Max's face. Max, along with everyone else looked as shocked as me. A shrill scream came from Blaire across the room, as she ran up to me. Jacob stopped, as his friend Demitri and some other guy, whom I found out was named Kevin, grabbed Jacob, and hauled him off in the hallway.

Blaire grasped my arm, and feeling a little overwhelmed myself, grasped hers back.

The teacher's face was read with discomfort. She was such a nice teacher, I doubt she was really up to having to deal with this right now.

She entered the hallway, and we could hear talking. Soon, a loud familiar voice boomed. "I KNOW, GO TO THE PRINCIPALS OFFICE!" Then we heard footsteps storm down the hall.

I ran over to Max, who's nose was bleeding. But he didn't look scared. Infact, he actually looked a little mad. He was boreing his eyes at the door that led to the hallway. Blaire came up to us with a handful of tissues. I thanked her, and held it under Max's nose. Thankfully I always got bloody noses when I lived in Georgia, so I knew what to do.

"Here, press this onto your nose." I said, motioning to the tissues.

Max did so, but winced when he applied pressure.

"Yikes. Looks like it might be broken. But still, tilt your head back."

I turned to Mrs. Thomas who had already re-entered the room, with the other two boys.

"Mrs. Thomas, may I take Max to the nurse?" I asked, feeling worried for my friend.

"Yes, that is wise. I do hope you feel better Mr. Naughtingham, and I am very sorry that this had to happen. I feel absolutely terrible." She said putting a hand on Max's shoulder. He nodded that it was ok, and we passed them to head to the nurses. But as I left, we got death glares from many girls in the room, and the two boys. I shrugged it off, and tried to lighten the mood.

"Well, looks like I'm going to have to be awfully annoying now." I smiled. I'm never usually this friendly, but I couldn't help but feel that what happened was my fault. Was it? Had Jacob done that because of me?

"Rwist bbwwat?" I think he meant why's that. But he probably couldn't talk because of that mass, wad of tissues on his face.

"Because, I'm going to need to take care of you." Maz smiled, despite himself, and nudged me playfully. We walked in silence the rest of the way to the nurses though. We passed the office, and I could see Jacob sitting their, still fuming. I just, couldn't believe him. That was so immature of him.

The nurse told me I could leave, a few minutes later, and after a sad look from max, and a reassuring smile, I left to go back to class. As I was on my way, Adam came up to me.

"Hey, Blaire got your stuff for you, and gave it to me. Is that ok?" He asked. I nodded, and thanked him.

"So do you even know why Jacob Naughtingham did that? I mean, isn't that like his cousin. Flesh, blood, and that sort?"

"Yea, too bad he's not a girl, and we can't blame it on his PMSing." I said, trying to change the subject to a brighter note. Adam just laughed really hard.

"Terrible." He sad after he gained his composure.

"Who knows what his problem is though. I mean, it is Jacob Naughtinham."

"Yea, but he's never done that to Max before." Adam said staring off into space. He didn't talk the rest of the way to class, so I assumed he was thinking about something.

We entered class in silence as well, and took our seats.

Cole came in smug as always.

"Well isn't it my little cupcake, that got the Naughtingham boys to fight eachother."

I. was. stunned. Was he implying that...that, the reason Jacob did that was because of JEALOUSY? No. That just couldn't be.

"Idiot." I said to Adam.

"You know Toby, He might be right." I looked at him with astonishment. Was their some disease that was airborn that was causing people to be dillusional??!

"I mean, Blaire did say you were hugging Max, when Jacob walked in."

"She said his face contorted, and he was glaring holes into your back."

"But..but...but. Jacob likes girls all the time."

Adam laughed at me. "No dear, Jacob screws girls all the time."

"..It doesn't mean he loves them." I must have choked on air, as my eyes bulged out of my head.

LOVE? Was he kidding with me. No way a boy could....could, LOVE me. Especially a boy like Jacob Naughtingham.

I tried my hardest to pay attention in my last class. Keeping my mind from the Lo...loo....lovvvvvvvvuhee discussion. Chills ran down my spine as i thought the word love.

The only person that I knew, that loaughved....(see?) me, was my mom.

Max wasn't on the bus. So i assume he went home early. I came in the house, and layed down on the couch. Thinking about what Adam said.

Max had said Jacob was never actually mean to someone. But I thought little boys did that in elementary. Not highschool, and if i'm not mistaken. When you act like you hate someone, it's usually because you do. But then again, I didn't hate Jacob. I mean, not really. He seemed like a ok guy. Its just, thats what we did. We picked on eachother; and I couldn't fathom how annoying eachother was flirting. I didn't get pleasure out of being mean to Jacob. I mean, i guess i kind of did. Ah, crap. I did. That didn't mean..I LIKED Jacob did I? I didn't want to at least. He was a womanizer. Everyone new it. I didn't want to commit myself to someone like that.

WHAT AM I EVEN SAYING. I shouldn't even be worried about boys. I've just begun the friend stage of my life. I wasn't ready for lauuoveee. (ugh.)

"Hey sweety!" My mom said coming through the doorway with her keys jingling.

"How was your day."

"Terrible." I said. My mom's high heels stopped clicking on the floor, and she sighed, kicking them off and heading to the fridge. I sat up from the couch, and saw her coming towards me with a bucket of chocolate ice cream. I loved my mom. She knew exactly what to do to cheer me up.

"Wanna talk about it?" She asked.

"Well. These two boys fought over me..." I said.

"AND YOUR COMPLAINING?" She smiled. I laughed half-heartidly. It didn't feel good to have two boys fight over me. Or, more likely one. Because Max never had a chance to even react, much less fight back. But then again, he did glare at the door afterwards.

"Aw, baby come here." My mom said, putting down her spoon; back into the carton.

After she let go, I told her everything. How i think I did want friends, and how I knew I needed to move on from our old life, and leave the memories behind. Even if it did mean leaving the memory of my brother there. I may have only been two, or three. But we were VERY close. But it was time... I had to admit. I didn't need to be upset over it anymore. I needed to be happy. Yale (my brother) would have wanted that.

"Well, baby."

"I think your right, i think that you need to focus on making friends first, and see how things work out. No need to be sad, whatever happend will be old new in a week, ok? Don't blame yourself. It's that boy Jacob's fault. You didn't MAKE him hit Max." I dried the tears that had leaked out of my eyes.

She lifted my chin, and kissed me on the forehead.

"Be strong, honeybee." She smiled. She always either called me honeybee, sweatiepie, or sweety. It reminded me that no matter what we've been through, I always had her.

"Thanks mom I w-will." I said the last part yawning.

"OH MY! Looks like our dinner was ice cream." She said, realizing the empty carton.

"Oh well, as long as my honeybee feels better."

I laughed. "I do." I smiled, and stretched.

"Well then, head up the stairs now ok? Rest that pretty little head, and don't worry about a thing."

She smiled, humor in her eyes. " 'Cause everylittle thing, is gonna be alright." She sang and started swaying with the famous bob marley song. Snapping her fingers.

I laughed. Did I mention that I loved my mom?

I ran up the stairs and decided to take a shower. It would make me feel better. So I did. leaving my worries to run down the drain. Ready to face tomorrow. Honeybee, was back in bizzzness.

hahhaha. get it. BIZZNESS?

Yep. I was deffinately myself again. I smiled, and snuggled into the sheets. Sighing, and falling asleep.