Take Away the Pain

I'm terrified of these four walls

I dream about me and Kelsey. I am walking her to her first day of 3rd grade. She is happy and laughing at me as I chase her up the sidewalk. That must mean I am a senior now, top dog instead of an overrated sophomore. The dream goes on but I wake up I wake up 2 hours later.

I have no idea what happened but I can conclude I was was knocked out at some point, on account of my throbbing head. I slowly come to remember what happened before I was knocked out and I slowly get up and look around. I am back in my own room. Al of a sudden, I gasp remembering Kelsey. I creep down the hall by my father’s room and see he is not home. I then run back to Kelsey’s room and see that she isn’t there. I run down the steps and I see her.

She is lying on the floor. She has bruises everywhere and I see blood on the carpet around her. I scream at the top of my lungs and burst into tears. Ms. Han, my neighbor, comes over and asks what’s wrong. I realize that I can’t tell her. I lie and say “She fell down the steps!” Ms. Han then calls 9-1-1.

The paramedics come and put Kelsey on the stretcher. They ask me where our father is but I don’t answer. They just help me up in the ambulance and we go to the hospital. When we arrive, I get extremely dizzy and I faint. I wake up on a couch in an office of some sort. I’m somewhat scared in this room and I feel panicky. A lady sitting at a desk says, “ Hello. You are in the psych department at Heaven Sent Hospital. I am Ms. Cooper. I am a counselor and social worker here.” I don’t say anything but I nod.

She says,” I need you to tell me what happened”.
I don’t answer.
“Abbey?”
She knows my name?! I still stare at the floor, silent.
“Abbey, I’m afraid you cannot let you see your sister until you tell me”.
Finally, I burst into tears and tell her everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
This title is a lyric from "Savin' Me" by Nickelback.