Adore

Moonlight

We swerve off the road and to the side. I personally thought that we could've just stayed parked in the middle of the road. There were hardly any cars, after all. And even if there came a truck or something to crash into us and kill us both; it would still be an awkward yet cool way to die.

Think two pissed, single 20-something year olds. One has just suffered a bad break up and the other has suffered a severe crush on the dumpee for most of their time as friends. And to top it all off; we're all smashed up in a cheap, used car that smells like stale cigarettes. The whole idea just reeks of awesome.

"Okay..." you sigh and lay the map down on op of the car's hood. Then you begin to scan the whole span of green, browns, and blues. You only look as clueless as I felt.

"Are we screwed?" I ask, even though I think I know the answer to the question already.

"Sort of. We just need to find a gas station and get directions before it gets too late." you reply.

I raise my eyebrows, "Oh?"

You nod and send me back to the passenger seat with a single wave of your hand.

You really don't have that much power over me. I just wanted to leave before I could open my mouth to say "I could've come up with that." I'd rather have my crush feel a little high and mighty than mad at me, you know.

Then as you're just getting to your door, I jump back out.

"Look! Look at the moon." I yell.

You roll your eyes, but turn around anyway.

"It's so yellow and full. It actually looks like it's sitting, like, on top of the mountains." I say excitedly, shuffling my way over to your side.

You smile a little, but then raise your wrist in front of your face. "It's almost 8:30. We don't exactly have to stare at the moon."

I only shrug, "Promise well stop to look after you get the instructions then."

You look over at me like I'm crazy, but I keep the same, careless demeanor on. It causes you to laugh a little and say okay.

"Thank you." I smile and then we both go back into the car.

Eventually, we're going down the road at a rather fast speed.

"Whoa." I say to you, "Slow down."

"No other cars." you say.

"I know, but...why are you in such a hurry?" I say. "It's not like we have anything important to really do anymore."

"You're wrong, you know."

"What? How?"

"I'm not telling you."

"Dude! I've known you since--what?--9th grade. You gotta tell me."

"Maybe later."

"Duuude."

"Later."

"Alright." I finally say and lean back in my seat. I then close my eyes and wrap myself up in my own arms.

You ask me if I'm gonna rest. I say yes. You then turn on the heater and turn on the radio.

"Thank you." I remembering telling you.

"Any time, Karryann. Any time." you say and I smile to myself.

It wasn't long before I fell asleep, but it wasn't long before I was awake again too.

"Karry!" I hear, jolting me up from my sleep.

"Huh?" I say while rubbing my eyes.

You touch my arm and shake me a little bit, "I got the directions. Let's get out the car."

"That fast?" I ask.

You run around the car to help me out, "No. It took me almost over half an hour to find a freakin' gas station around here. You were also snoring like a monster."

"Liar!" I laugh.

"Yeah..." you smile and drag me in front of the car. You point back at the moon. "it's as beautiful as it was before."

"You mean like you?" I say in my head and look at you.

The moonlight was absolutely beautiful reflecting off your skin and in your eyes. The smile you had on was stunning and the light breeze blew some of your hair out your face, allowing me to get that good view of you.

"Don't you have anything to say?" You question after turning your head and nearly catching me staring at you.

"Yeah. It's nice. Gorgeous." I reply.

You smirk then scoot up against the car hood then jump to sit on it.

"Whoa. Aren't you afraid you're gonna damage your baby?" I laugh.

"Naw." you say then take in a deep breath and close your eyes. "Matter of fact, you can sit on it too."

I shake my head, "No. I'll totally break it. It'll just add to this bad day."

You start to fall back with both hands behind your head. You look way too relaxed. But then again that's a good thing.

"Well...you're happy." I say anyways.

You open your eyes and frown, "Well, this whole thing with you today has been fun. It helped me.

"But we're in the middle of nowhere." I say, but pause to slide up next to you. "And you're still stuck with 'the worst map reader ever'."

"I'd rather be here than off yelling at myself because of some girl." you say. "Besides, I'm sorry about what I called you. I just suck."

"You don't suck."

You're amazing.

"I totally do."

"You don't. I'm serious."

"That's what they all say..."

"Trust me."

You glance at me, almost annoyed looking, but then you shrug and go back to closing your eyes. Only leaving me to remember that you don't take compliments well, but neither did I so I guess it doesn't matter. I'll just let it pass.

Or maybe I'll just let it pass because I like you, for Christ's sake.

"I gotta shut up." I accidentally say out loud.

You chuckle, "Maybe. Why?"

"You need to shut up!" I joke.

You open your eyes again and pout, "Aww. Now you've hurt my feelings. All I did was love you!"

As I'm telling myself not to blush on the inside, the outside of me is rolling my eyes. Then I also toss back my head in attempt at fake laughter, but roll off the car instead.

"Crap!" you exclaim as you jump off to my rescue.

"You alright?" you ask, crouching down. "That sounded kind of painful."

"You mean the shattering of my skull? Oh, that only felt like a pinch." I reply then sit up and touch the back of my head.

Suddenly I feel another set of fingers gracing the bump on the back of my head. I wince a bit.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry..." you whisper as you draw back your hand.

"It's okay. Let's just go."

"Alright." you say and help me up.

Once we've hit the road again, it's awkwardly silent. These kinds of silences; I dread. I didn't even know why this one existed.

"Um...ow?" I say, trying to break it.

Your eyes go to me then back at the road, but this time you've got a smile on your face.

"At least it's a bit more comfortable." I tell myself.

A few more minutes pas and we finally see streetlights ahead. You and I let out a resounding yes then laugh together.

"Hand me the directions, eh?" you say after pulling over again.

I reach over to the side pocket of the door, pull out a folded up piece of paper, then hand it to you. You grin as you unfold it and read the next steps back to town, but then the grin immediately falls.