Rollercoaster

Chapter 13

As I lay on my bed, listening to Cemetery Drive and trying forget about today, I felt a thump to my head. I turned round to see Heather and her friend holding my converse. I stared at them, not moving. Heather's friend came over and held me as she closed the door.

"We heard your dad's in jail," She said as she put a chair against the door handle. "Is that why you're an emo? Let me just say, Freak, we don't like emos here."

I sat there in silence, just praying Frank would come in. He said he'd come every day, didn't he?

She went through the wardrobe, picking out my clothes one at a time and cutting them up with a pair of scissors she brought.

"Want them?" She laughed as she threw the pieces of clothes round the room. She brought the scissors over and held them to my wrist. "Go ahead, emo. Kill yourself, no one's here to help you now." She spat at me.

She moved the scissors up to my hair and snipped a bit off. Tears welled up in my eyes. Heather was right. Frank just brought me here and left me. He didn't care, no one did.

"Aww, ya gonna cry emo?" She said as she continued to cut away at my hair. I just sat there, unable to move, unable to say anything. It was like I was paralysed. I just stared at the wall, trying not to cry in front of her as my hair fell to the floor.

"Girls! Dinner!" Thank God for that.

Heather threw the scissors to the ground and headed for the door. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh, don't think we're finished with you, emo. Finish her off, Sarah." She laughed as she walked out, closing the door behind her.

The bigger girl, Sarah, came from behind me and kicked me in the ribs repeatedly until I fell onto the floor. She grabbed me by whatever hair I had left and punched me in the face. The force was so hard, that soon it was numb and blood poured out of my nose. Soon I was winded, as she kneed me in the stomach. My breathing became slower and heavier. I thought I was dieing there and then, when finally she stopped and headed for the door. She took one more look at me when she reached the doorframe and walked down the corridor laughing.

I had to get out before they got back... I tried to sit up, but the pain took over and I fell back, crying in agony. I forced myself to crawl over to my bed. I propped myself up with my elbows and sat on the bed. I desperately searched around for my money I was saving up.

I painfully walked over to the wardrobe. Opening it I found a pair of jeans, untouched. I took them out and put them in my rucksack along with the money, my i pod and a photo of my christening with my mum and dad. I shoved on my converse quickly.

Glancing at the mirror almost gave me a heart attack. My hair had chunks cut out of it and I looked a right mess. But I couldn't fix that now, I decided just to put my hood over it. My right eye was black and bruised and my face was no longer pale white, but blood was splattered all over it. I think my nose was broken out of place, and blood was still pouring out. I dabbed my face with a wet tissue, as I winced at the pain. I managed to get most of the blood away, but my eye was now swolen and it hurt at the slightest touch.

Grabbing my rucksack with everything I needed in it, I dragged myself to the window. Peering out, I saw a rusty pipe leading the way down. And it was a long way down at that..
I sat myself on the window ledge and swung my legs round. Carefully, I started to make my way down the pipe, praying it wouldn't break off the wall.

As I reached the ground, I darted past two of the kids playing outside. I think they saw me, but I didn't care. When I was out of sight of the care home, I walked as fast as I could with my head down, so no one could notice me. I had no idea where I was going, I just wanted to be out of there.