Rollercoaster

Chapter 16

Frank's POV

I wake to hears birds singing outside. They sound so peaceful, so happy. I smile and open my eyes, half expecting to be in the tour bus. Instead, I look out at a brick wall. I turn over, and find my legs are jammed. What the fuck? Where the hell am I?

And then it hits me. Last night, this morning. Aimee's still missing! I quickly rub my eyes. My arms are sore, probably the fact that I slept in a porche last night. Blinking the sleep out of my eyes, I reach for my cell phone. No one rang. I frown and begin to get out of the car.

The sun is shining. The scene outside is so much different from last night. Parents rushing around with their children, people out walking their dogs, everyone happy and smiling. You wouldn't think this was the same place where people were murdered and raped on a daily occasion.

I make my way out of the parking lot, holding my cell phone tightly and heading my way to alley number one. The reason I was just checking alleys was because if someone went missing randomly in New Jersey, the chances were you'd see them on the street on the way by, or they'd most likely be in the alleys.

As I peer through the large blades of grass, I hear someone's voice being muffled or something. I quietly sneak through this "jungle" and stop dead in my tracks when I see three people. The smallest one is lying on the hard ground, tossing and turning as one of the bigger ones clamp their grimy hand to her mouth, and the other one file through a black rucksack and take whatever they can savage.

"Get the fuck away!" I yell as I run towards the bigger ones.

They suddenly flee, obviously not used to many people catching them in their job. I crouch down, meeting eye to eye with the victim of the mugging. Her originally white skeleton hoodie is now brown with blood stains leading down it. The hood covers her face, though I can still see it. I nearly collapse with the sight of it. One of her eyes is black with a purple ring around it. Her blood stained face is wet with tears. Poor thing.

"You alright, pumpkin?" I give her knee a gentle shake.

She looks straight at me with those familiar olive green eyes. For the second time today I nearly faint, but she beats me to it. I reach out and grab her before she falls to the ground. Carefully, I pick her up, her legs dangling over my left arm. I couldn't find myself to cry, it hadn't really registered in my mind yet that I found Aimee. She was in such a state I didn't even recognise her at first. But inside I knew it was her, those olive green eyes peering up at me, that skeleton hoodie I saw in her wardrobe before.

I make my way out of the alley, Aimee safely in my arms. People stare at us, but I don't care. I have to get her home and cleaned up before she wakes up.

Opening the door to the porche, I gently set her in the back seats. She doesn't stir once, her cheeks turning from pale white to a better shade of pink. I carefully close the door, checking one last time that she's breathing okay. Placing the key in the ignition, I start down the road, glad to have her with me again.

15 minutes later

Parking the car in Gerard's drive, I manage to dodge all four guys running out the door. I open the car door and step out.

"Did ya get her, did ya?" Mikey excitedly shouts, jumping up and down.

"Be quiet, will ya?" I lean on the car, looking up at the sky.

"It's good to see you got her before someone else did." Gerard smiled, putting his hand on my shoulder.

I'm not sure though who's been at her. What I saw in the alley made me shake thinking about what she must have been going through.

Ray opens the door to where Aimee is still lying, while Bob leans in and gently picks her up.

"Holy shit." He says, eyes widening as he sees the state she's in. "What happened man?"

"I don't know, okay?" I hastily say and carry her in myself.

Setting her down on the couch, I pull back her hood, and attempt to get her cleaned up. Oh my god. Her shoulder length, brown hair was gone! I clasp my mouth to stop me from shrieking. She looked like a cancer patient. But her hair had been cut on purpose. Why would she do this to herself? Something just didn't add up, and I was going to find out who did this to her. And they were gonna pay...