Rollercoaster

Chapter 23

Aimee's POV

I woke up three hours before I was meant to be up. I couldn't help it. Today was the day I started school. AGAIN. I guess I was more afraid of the kids than anything else. It wasn't because I was scared of who they would be and what they'd be like. It was quite opposite of that.

The school I was joining was the one I was in before everything happened. I didn't get on with many people there. In fact, it was really just Anna. Kids would do the usual. Shout threats, throw stuff, beat me up, spread rumours. But none of that really bothered me, because I was never alone. Anna would always shout back, throw the stuff at them, and spread other rumours. But me? No. I could never do that. I don't know why. If I didn't, the jocks would just laugh and get worse. But not with Anna. I guess they were scared of her.

I got changed into my Misfits tee, skinnies and skull Vans. I put loads of eyeliner on and smudged black eye shadow round my eyes. As if I cared what the kids thought. I'd went through it all before anyway.

I made myself a hot chocolate and sat down on the couch, flicking on the tv. Nothing good was on. Well I would guess so, seeing as it was only 5am.

I must have drifted off, because the next thing I know, Frank was calling me.

"Aimee, it's time to go." He whispered, slightly shaking my shoulder.

I woke up and rubbed my eyes. Whoa, I slept for the whole three hours!

Grabbing my rucksack, I headed out the door to the car. We drove down the streets we had went past yesterday. I glanced at Anna's house. The front door was open and Sarah was waiting outside. I quickly looked away, scared in case she saw me.

We finally reached the school. I shivered as I got out of the car.

"Want me to come and pick you up?" Frank strained his neck, looking up at me.

"No, I can walk." I quickly replied.

"Are you sure you know the way? It's quite lo..."

"I told you. I'm fine." I cut him off. I didn't want to be rude, but I didn't want to be standing here when Sarah and Anna got here.

"Okay, have a nice day." He called as I shut the door.

Anxiety quickly rushed through me as I started my way across the street. I could see people staring from the corner of my eye, but I just kept my head down and turned the ipod louder so as I wouldn't be able to hear the stuff being said about me.

I trudged slowly through the gates of Belleville High, focusing my view on the ground in front of me. The last thing i needed was to fall on my face in front of the whole school. I bravely looked around. Oh great. I could see it hadn't changed much since I left. Everyone had obviously remembered me, as all gaze was directed at me.

All the preps and jocks sat in a huge group by the big elm tree. The wannabees sat close by, listening and watching to their every move. The basketball players were on the outside courts, practising as usual. The cheerleaders stood on the grass, showing off their moves to all the basketball players.The nerds sat on the steps up to the school, studying for exams that weren't for months yet. The freshmen were scattered everywhere, not really sure where their "place" was yet. And then there were the kids who didn't really fit in. Like me. Unlike the others, we were forced to sit beside the bikesheds. As long as we were out of the way and unnoticed, the others didn't really care where we went.

The day was much like the one I had in the care home. I couldn't manage to get away from the kids staring. I was kind of used to it now, so I didn't get all angry about it. Some kids were surprisingly nice. They would come up and say hi and tell me they missed me. Others weren't. Some jerk had attempted to draw a picture of me with a noose around my neck and wrote below it:
WE DON'T LIKE EMOS HERE.
GET LOST.

So I did. As soon as the bell rang for lunch, I shuffled away to a corner of the playground, away from everyone's eyes. Though the kids near the bikesheds stared, it didn't bother me. They had been through it all before, so the look was more of sympathy than hate.

I took out my ipod. My relief when things got tough. It was always there for me, and I knew it wasn't going anywhere. I found My Chemical Romance and blasted it. I'm Not Okay felt like the right song to listen to at a time like this. I closed my eyes and rested my head against a tree I was leaning on.

I suddenly felt something kick my shoe. I quickly opened my eyes. Sarah and Anna stared down at me. I took out my earphones to hear what she was saying to me.

"Move it," She ordered.

I obediently got up and they quickly sat down, laughing their horrible laugh. I went to walk away and heard footsteps behind me. I started to pick up my pace when I felt a hand on my shoulder. Oh no.

"Wait," I heard someone pant. I turned around. The most gorgeous pair of blue green eyes under a mop of dark brown hair looked up at me. This guy was a little smaller than me, but I could tell I was going to like him. He wore a My Chemical Romance tee, ripped jeans and worn out checkered Vans. He smiled when he saw I was looking.

"I was wondering," He began, "Do you wanna come hang out with us?" He turned around and I could see the kids from the bikesheds smiling and waving manically.