Rollercoaster

Chapter 34

Aimee's POV

"Frank?" I repeated the second time, peering down at him.

He leapt up when he heard me and hugged me like he didn't want to let go. After a few minutes, he stood up straight and wiped his eyes.

"Uhh, Sean, I think you should go." Frank said, looking at the ground.

I turned to him. He looked just as confused as I did.

"Just until I find out what the hell is going on," I whispered. "I'll call down for you."

He nodded and smiled before heading back home.

I turned back to Frank. He held his arm around me protectively and we went inside.

As soon as we stepped through the door I heard someone gasp and a smallish woman ran towards me. Frank let go of me and stood back, still looking at the ground.

"Aimee? Honey, is that you?" The woman smiled broadly and looked up at me through tears.

I stepped back to join Frank. But she came towards me again.

"Oh honey." She gasped, reaching out for my arm. I pulled away, my eyes widening. "Don't tell me you've forgotten your own mother." She whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks.

I shook my head, stepping back even further. This wasn't my mother. I never had a mother.

I laughed uneasily and looked at Frank.

"Is this meant to be some sort of joke?" I shouted at him. He shook his head and blinked heavily, tears falling from his eyes.

Janice came over towards me and held my arm.

"Aimee, your mother wants to take you home with her. Isn't that great?" She smiled at me, showing her teeth.

"No!" I yelled pulling out of her grasp. "I'm with Frank now." I turned round and held his hand in mine.

He pulled away and held my shoulders. He looked straight into my eyes.

"Aimee, I'm so sorry." He said.

He led me towards the man and the woman claiming to be my mother. She stopped crying when she noticed us standing in front of her, and her eyes lit up.

"Take good care of her." Frank said in between tears and sniffs.

Then he walked away and left me standing there, in front of the strangers and Janice.

I tried to see where the hell he was going, but the woman squeezed me tightly, crying even louder.

I pulled away from her and ran to the stairs, but the man was too strong for me.

"FRANK!!!" I screamed as the man bundled me into the car, the woman following with my suitcase.

I kept yelling and screaming with all my might.

"There's no point in doing that now, is there?" The man turned round, smiling at me.

He was right. Frank wasn't listening. And no matter how loud I screamed or yelled, I somehow knew he wasn't going to come and get me.

I choked back tears and looked out the window.

The man started to drive the car away, but I strained my neck as I saw Frank in the bedroom.

I banged the window until my hand was bleeding, but he just stood there, watching as the car drove away.

This wasn't happening to me...