Rollercoaster

Chapter 37

Aimee's POV

I trudged sadly down the stairs an hour later, having gotten changed into my Rolling Stones tee, red skinnies and Vans. I straightened my hair, putting in about twenty million slides and my snakebites.

As I climbed down each stair, I thought of what they would be doing back home. Even though I didn't live there anymore, it would always be home to me.

Today was Friday. Not only that, but the last day of school before summer break. I thought about Sean. He was probably calling for me to walk with him to school. He was so excited about today. He said to me before that he was planning to egg the jocks after school outside, and there's be nothing they could do about it. Well except beat him to a pulp, but it was all in the fun of it.

I sighed. He could hardly do it now. I mean, yeah, he was still friends with all the guys in our group, but they were all going out with each other. Lisa and Andrew, Kirsty and Dylan. He told me he was so happy when I walked in that day, because he finally had someone to talk to and hang out with when they all went off with each other.

Who knew, we could've been a couple. Could have. No chance of that happening now.

I shuffled into the kitchen, feeling out of place. My mom, her husband Dave and their kid Ryan all sat at a large table, eating quietly.

Man, this place was huge! It was at least five times the size of Gerard's house, and it held about fifty other spacious rooms.

The three of them weren't alone in it though. Around thirty staff shared it too. They probably had too many rooms they didn't know what to do with, and too much money, so hired them all to help them as well. There were gardeners, cleaners, a babysitter, a chef, stylists to help advise Mom, a butler, someone to look after the many cars and motorcycles, someone to help with the money and a tutor for Ryan. I'm sure there were more, but that's all I was aware of.

Ryan pulled out a seat beside him and smiled innocently.

I cautiously sat down, not looking or speaking to anyone.

"Do you think that's really appropriate?" Mom snapped at me.

I looked at her, raising an eyebrow.

"What you're wearing." She looked me up and down and tutted.

I shook my head. "Frank doesn't mind me wearing these clothes. He picked them out for me." I retorted truthfully.

She stood up from the table, immediately turning her back on me.

"Well Frank's not here now. I am. You'll do what I say. And I say you go up at once and change into some ... better clothes."

I jumped up, knocking the chair over as I did so. I didn't go and pick it up, I just kept walking to the stairs and started to climb them.

Thoughts ran through my head. She was right. Frank wasn't here. I didn't want to be here. And she certainly didn't want me here...

15 minutes later

Narrator's POV

Aimee carefully slipped out of the window onto the ledge outside, her suitcase following shortly behind.

She was quite a master at this now. She knew exactly where to put her feet on the wall and her hands on the drainpipe without slipping. she knew how to land carefully on the ground without breaking her leg. The one thing she didn't know was to disguise herself from all the staff...

On of the gardeners saw her land on the grass and came over to her.

She smiled cunningly. "Sleepover." She giggled, making her way past him quickly.

He just smiled at her and waved her off as she opened the tall iron gates. She was free.

The room had been left the exact same way she had found it. All the lay on the bed was a note.

It read:

Mom, Dave and Ryan,
It's okay.
I'm gone now.
Please don't try and look for me, I'm going back to Frank.
Just pretend I was never here.
It's for the best for all of us.
So long and goodnight,
Aimee