Rollercoaster

Chapter 46

Aimee's POV

I awoke the next morning bright and early, more happy as usual. Today was the day that Frank was going to sign the papers to adopting me.

I skipped to my wardrobe, opening it. I was greeted by so many new clothes. All the ones Linda had gotten me. I know she told me to call her Grandma, but I felt more comfortable calling her Linda for now.

Yesterday was great. We sat and talked like we were actual family. I told her all the bands and other stuff I liked. She agreed with me on most of them, it was so cool. She felt more like Frank's big sister than his mom.

I finally chose my GreenDay tee, red tutu over black skinnies and my red customised converse.

Having gotten ready two hours before we were leaving, I lay on top of my bed, thinking about the future and how great is was going to be after today.

Before I knew it, Frank was waking me up and we set off in the porche.

"I'm so nervous." I admitted after minutes of silence in the car.

He stopped at a red light and looked at me strangely. "Why?"

I thought about it seriously. Why was I nervous? I had no idea. I guess I just was, in case the papers went missing or something went wrong and he couldn't adopt me. In case I was let down again...

"If something goes wrong..." I trailed off.

It was possible. Things go wrong all the time when it comes to adopting. And this was my life here. Everytime something good happens in my life, something worse happens. Just my luck...

Frank reached out for my hand, taking his eyes away from the road for a second.

"Everything will be fine. I promise."

I smiled, remembering the first time he told me to promise him. Back at the care home.

I guess his promises had all come true in their own way. He always said everything would be fine, and now things were finally looking up.He always told me to trust him, and I had. If the other promises had come true, this one had to. Right?

"This is it." Frank beamed his cheesy grin and stepped out of the car.

My heart began to pound as I looked out the window, and out at the familiar dull grey building. The care home. This was the place I dreaded coming to in the first place. Where I got beaten up. Where I ran away from. This was the very place I still had nightmares about. One of the worst experiences of my life. And he wanted me to go back in?!

Noticing I wasn't going to move, he leant back in the car.

"Just think of it this way," I looked up at him, crouching beside the window. "You only have to go in there one last time. After that, you don't have to even think of this crummy place again." He smiled reassurringly.

He did have a point...

I slowly took off my seatbelt and got out of the car, making my way up the steps I had once hesitated on. But now I knew I wasn't alone...

Frank held my hand protectively, the way he always did when he knew I was scared and we continued to the reception desk.

"I'm happy to see you two again!" Janice greeted us with a warming smile. "I watched the interview." She smiled again before handing the papers to Frank.

"Thanks." Frank returned the smile as she handed him a pen.

She showed him where to sign, turning each page as she went.

Five minutes later

"Last signature." She smiled, pushing the final page towards me.

I shakily signed my name in the space and breathed a sigh of relief.

"What did I tell you?" Frank grinned, pulling me into a bear hug.

I heard a snicker behind me and pulled away to face them. My heart stopped when I realised it was Heather standing there, smirking at me. I wasn't going to let her win. Not again...

"You can smirk all you want, at least someone wants me." I laughed slightly, before turning serious. "When was the last time someone came to visit you? Or gave you a present or card? Y'know what Heather? I wouldn't be surprised if you were stuck in here all your crap little life." I was the one smirking now.

I could see tears forming in her eyes as she ran up the stairs.

"Not so tough now..." I whispered before turning back to Frank.

He was smiling at me. "I'm proud of you for sticking up for yourself."

I just smiled and we said our last goodbyes to Janice and headed home.

World, say goodbye to Aimee Jones and hello to Aimee Iero.