Rollercoaster

Chapter 47

Aimee's POV

"Whoops!" I laughed as I heard the bell toll for the start of school. Me and Sean weren't anywhere near school yet.

"Race ya!" Sean laughed and ran ahead of me.

"Not fair, you got a head start!" I shouted, catching up with him.

By the time we reached school, we were fifteen minutes late. Doesn't sound like much, but believe me, this school was surprisingly strict.

Frank had told the principal that I was 'having trouble settling in', so they moved me into Sean's classes. It was good because the teachers let us sit beside each other because I didn't know anyone else.

"Sean Wilson! Aimee Jones! You're late!" Miss Benson, our math teacher, screamed at us.

"Well done." Sean whispered, loud enough for just me to hear.

"Haven't you got something to say?" She snapped rudely at us.

"Sorry," We mumbled.

"That's better, now get to your seats." She lightened up.

"Miss?" I turned to her.

She sighed and folded her arms, facing me. "What?"

"My surname. It's Iero now, not Jones."

Her face turned a deep shade of red and she unfolded her arms, fiddling with something on her desk.

"My deepest apologies," She said hastily.

I got quite sick of having to keep saying that in every class I had. You'd think with them all teaching me, they could pass it on or something. But no, they like to be awkward.

The next class was Art. Now I could finally see Sean in action.

The teacher was quite laid-back. He just sat at the front, leaning back in his chair, his feet propped up on the desk.

"Draw something about Fall seeing as Fall's coming up pretty soon." He shouted from the front of the class.

Most of the class just scribbled down leaves on trees, or people with umbrellas.

I couldn't think... I wasn't just one of those people that could just pick up a paintbrush and go. Sean obviously was...

I tried to see what he was drawing, but he was covering it slightly.

After minutes of suspense, I finally asked him.

"What are you doing yours on?"

He continued sketching away, occasionally stopping to look up at the clock.

"Just wait and see." He said, not taking his eyes away from the page. "What are you drawing?"

I looked down at my blank piece of paper, quickly hiding it with my arm. "Just wait and see."

He smirked. He's obviously noticed I hadn't drawn anything yet.

Ten minutes later and I was still in the same position, nothing drawn on my page. I just couldn't think. What was the point anyway? I could never compete with Sean's, class ended in fifteen minutes and the teacher hardly cared whether you drew anything or not...

A faint knock was heard on the door. The teacher, half asleep, mumbled something and a small girl walked into the room nervously. She handed him a note and he sighed loudly.

"Aimee Iero, you're wanted in the main office." He grunted before throwing the note in the trash and closing his eyes again.

'Oohs' were heard amongst the class.

I rolled my eyes and stood up.

"I'll be back in a minute." I said to Sean.

"I'll wait for you." He smiled, before returning to his work.

I quickly ran down the corridor. Whatever it was that needed me in the office better be quick, I really wanted to see what Sean was drawing.

It was probably something stupid like I forgot my lunch or something.

I knocked quietly on the door before stepping in.

"Aimee..."

I looked up. Mr Bradley (the principal) and Gerard and Ray were standing there. Gerard's eyes were bloodshot and his face was wet with tears. Ray had sunglasses on, so I couldn't see his face, but I knew something was wrong the way he kept fixing them on his face and sniffing.

Before I had a chance to say anything, Gerard came over and put his arm tightly around my shoulders.

"It's Frank," He breathed. "He's been in an accident."