Rollercoaster

Chapter 48

Aimee's POV

Those seven words spun round my mind like a tornado. Accident? How could he have been in an accident? I saw him this morning before I left...

"But .... but I just saw him this morning!" I shrieked.

More tears rolled down Gerard's cheeks and he walked off to sit down, putting his head in his hands.

Ray came over, taking Gerard's place, and sighed.

"About an hour after you left he noticed you forgot your lunch. He said he would drive to the school and give it to you, but another car came and..." He choked, stumbling on the right words to say.

Wait, what? Oh God, this was my fault...

I ran out of the room. My head was spinning but I didn't care. I ran all the way to the toilets into one of the cubicles, shutting it tightly. I knelt on the cold tiles, silently crying. Why was this happening? How come everything I had kept being taken away from me? The silent crying soon turned to loud sobbing, until I was struggling to breathe. I drowsily closed my eyes.

When I opened them, I was in Gerard's car. He and Ray were sitting in the front, in silence. I looked out my window. We were parked outside Newark Hospital. At that minute, Bob and Mikey slowly walked through the doors.

Ray looked up in surprise and they both got out of the car.

"How is he?"

Mikey shuffled his feet and sighed. "Not too good. He still hasn't woken up."

Bob waved and smiled at me through the window, before turning back to the guys. "Should we tell her?" He whispered.

They stood still for a minute, before Gerard spoke up.

"No. She's been through enough already. He wouldn't want her to see him like this."

The guys nodded in approval and Mikey walked towards the car. He opened the door and crouched down beside me, smiling as if nothing was wrong.

"Hey sweetie. Frank's fine, but he's sleeping now. I'm gonna bring you home and we can go up and see him later, okay?"

He was talking to me as if I was five. I hated people doing that, that's how you knew they were lying. How could they lie to me? They know how close we are now. What if he's dying in there now and they're not letting me know? What if I never get to see him again? I wasn't going to take that risk...

As Mikey was about to close the door again, I pushed it open. He wasn't aware, and fell back with the force. I ran out of the car to the automatic doors. I ran into the hospital, Bob and Ray running after me, but I wasn't stopping for anyone...

I had to see Frank. I didn't even know where he was in this huge hospital, but I was going to find him...

While I was running, I caught sight of a group of paramedics rushing into the emergency room. I stopped running and followed them. Staring through the window of the huge room, I strained to see who the person was. I gasped as I saw a familiar pair of Misfits Vans on the person lying on the operating table. I could have sworn Frank was wearing those this morning...

Get a grip, Aimee. Think of how many people have those shoes.

My curiousity got the better of me, and I pushed the door open. All I could see were paramedics rushing around me. I don't think they noticed I was even there.

"Twenty five year old male, in a serious car collision with another car nearby." The doctor said, heading through the door.

Frank? I ran to the operating table, pushing medics out of my way as I did so. Oh God. It was him all right. His dark hair was covering his face, though I could still see his face and arms were covered in cuts and scrapes. I could barely get to him, with all the wires that were connected to him. Was he even breathing? I could hardly tell, my eyes were so blurred from tears welling up in them.

I stood there in shock. It didn't even look like him at all. This couldn't be happening, just yesterday I couldn't wait to start a new life with Frank as my dad.

I screamed as four hands strong hands struggled to pull me away. I desperately reached for Frank's hand, but it remained limp in my tight grasp. Tears flooded my face as I left the emergency room, a new sound of active beeping coming from the life support.

I could hear you breathe with help from cold machines