Rollercoaster

Chapter 49

Gerard's POV

I caught on a bit late that Aimee wasn't in the car. I ran into the hospital after her, alongside Bob and Ray. Gee, this kid was fast.

We lost track of where she was, when we heard shouting coming from some room. Following it, we saw doctors and nurses rushing around, trying to get hold of someone. My mouth dropped open as I realized it was Aimee. She wasn't moving, just standing there expressionless beside Frank. More doctors pushed past me into the room, a security guard angrily making his way towards her. I rushed in and stopped him before he had the chance, and stood behind her.

"Aimee?" I don't think she even heard me.

She was taking this worse than me, and I've known Frank for nearly ten years. I guess this hadn't really hit me yet. I was just expecting Frank to open his eyes and start laughing, saying it was all a big joke. I would probably kill him for making me worry like that, and we'd laugh about it after. But as much as I wanted it to be, it wasn't a joke.

I could see the medics getting agitated with Aimee standing there. I gently wrapped my arms around her, pulling her away slightly. This just made her stronger, and harder for me to pull her away. Bob noticed me struggling from the window and came over to help me get her out.

I felt my eyes beginning to well up when she grabbed onto Frank's hand. Bob managed to get her off and I carried her out.

She kicked and screamed, tears pouring down her face, until we reached the waiting room. It was completely empty apart from us two sitting there. Bob went out to speak to the doctor in private and Mikey and Ray had gone home to wait for us.

I sat down on one of the yellow plastic chairs, Aimee sitting on my lap. She rested her head on my shoulder, twirling my hair around her fingers.I knew she was still crying, because my shirt was slightly damp. I hated seeing her cry.

"Frank's going to be fine, you'll see." I soothed.

I wasn't even kidding myself with that lie. I saw what he looked like in that room. Far from fine... But I had to lie. Not just to reassure Aimee, but myself as well.

She had calmed down a lot five minutes later. I think I even heard a faint snore escaping her lips..

I suddenly saw Bob walk out of a small room, shaking his head. He noticed we were sitting there and came over, taking a seat beside me.

"Well?" I turned to face him, careful not to wake Aimee.

He shook his head again and sighed. "Dude, he's really angry about what happened in there."

"I need to talk to him in private. To explain everything." I carefully moved Aimee off my lap, laying her across the next two seats.

I made my way to where Bob had just came out of, knocking on the door quietly. The man inside grunted a "Come in". I slowly entered and closed the door behind me. He looked up from his computer.

"Oh, it's you. What do you want, Mr Way? I'm very busy." He snapped, turning back to the monitor.

"I just want to apologize deeply for what happened before." I said and took a seat opposite him at his desk.

He laughed a little and looked up at me, glaring slightly.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble your daughter caused today?" He asked, and angry tone developing in his voice.

"I know, we're really sorry. And we're willing to pay for all the damage. The thing is, she's not my daughter. Frank adopted her That's why she got so upset." I tried to explain, but he stood up and ushered me to the door.

"Like I said, Mr Way, I'm very busy. And I do not wish to know your life story." He said rudely and held the door open.

"Okay, okay. But how is Frank?" I stopped walking and faced him. That's all I really wanted to know.

"Mr Way, please..." He tried to get out of my way, but I blocked him.

"That's all I want to know." I pleaded, my desperate eyes searching his own cold ones.

He sighed and scratched his head, avoiding my gaze. "We can't exactly tell yet, but he's made an improvement since he's came in."

I breathed a sigh of relief and smiled. "Thanks, doc."

He quickly edged away from me, his neatly polished shoes making squeaking noises on the white tiles of the hospital floor.

I got back to the waiting room. Aimee was still asleep and Bob looked as if he was about to drift off any minute. I gently tapped him on the shoulder and picked up Aimee. I wish we could've stayed overnight, but I wouldn't want to wake up next to a batch of needles, and it wasn't exactly fair on Aimee. We drove home in silence. Today had been a long day. I just hoped Frank would be awake tomorrow.