Rollercoaster

Chapter 51

Frank's POV

"I really hope he's okay."

Aimee? I could feel someone's hand on mine. I think it was her. I squeezed it tightly, letting her know I'm here. God, my head hurts... Where am I? This doesn't feel like my bed...

I struggled to open my eyes. It felt like they were glued shut.

I eventually opened one eye, squinting in the bright light. Am I dying or something? I tried to speak out, but my painful throat stopped me.

I managed a whisper. "Aimee?"

She immediately jumped up, dropping my hand against something metal. I winced in pain.

"Oh my god! Frank! Are you okay?" She hurriedly spoke at me.

I had no idea what she was talking about. I didn't even know where I was, let alone what condition I was in.

"I'll go and get the doctor." A male voice said. It might have been Sean, but I still couldn't see at all.

"You're gonna be fine, Frank.." Aimee soothed, rubbing my hand gently, though it still hurt.

I tried to smile, but every single move I made hurt.

A few minutes later the doctor came. Aimee was being my eyes, telling me when something happened, like the doctor coming in.

"Ahh, Frank." He said, his voice getting closer. "Can you open your eyes for me?"

Once again I tried. This time with a little more effort. They opened fully, trying adjust to the glaring light above me. What was going on? I'm in hospital. What happened this time I wonder... Probably knocked myself unconscious on stage again or something like that.

I used up all my energy just turning my head, biting my lip with the excruciating pain. Aimee was sitting beside the hospital bed, her face filled with worry and her eyes tear-stained. Gerard was at the foot of the bed, smiling broadly at me, his arm protectively around Mom. She gasped when my eyes met hers, a tear rolling down her cheek.

The doctor impatiently waved a hand in front of my face, averting my attention to him.

"Can you move at all, Frank?"

I didn't even try this time, I knew it would hurt too much.

I shook my head, even that hurt. "I tried. It's too painful. It hurts even when I breathe."

He mouthed something to himself and flicked through the papers in the clipboard, hanging from the end of the bed.

"Right. I'll be back in a few minutes. You stay tight, Frank." He smiled at his own joke, before heading out.

As if I was going to get up and walk out of here...

As soon as he left the ward, Mom ran at me, pulling me up into a huge hug. I gasped in pain, tears making their way down my face. She realized immediately and backed away, apologizing like crazy.

"It's okay, Mom." I managed a smile, though I hurt even more now.

"I'm gonna go phone everyone and tell them all the good news." Mom stood up, clutching her bag. "You come with me, sweetie."

Aimee hesitated before smiling at me and following her out.

Gerard walked over, sitting where Aimee had been and sighed. "You had us all worried, dude."

I looked at him in confusion. "Gerard?"

"What's up?" He said and took a sip of coffee from a white plastic cup.

"Why am I in here?"

He choked slightly on his coffee and set it back on the table. He sighed, rubbing his hand through his hair, making it stand on end.

"Right... well... um..." He began, trying to think. "Yesterday, after Aimee left for school, you noticed she forgot her lunch. You said you would drive up and give it to her..."

FLASHBACK

"I'll be back in a minute, Aimee forgot her lunch." I call up the stairs, though I'm pretty sure no one's even awake yet.

"Ughkay." Gerard splutters from the top of the stairs, toothpaste running down his chin.

I laugh to myself, picking up the brown paper bag and heading out to the car.

Steering out of the drive, I turn on the radio.

'"Welcome back to Kerrang! Radio, we've got a whole lotta new music on the way for you guys from The Used, Lost Prophets, Fall Out Boy, Plain White T's and of course, My Chemical Romance. Now the topic of today is Frank Iero and how long you think his 'little family' will last.'"

What the hell?! Why couldn't people just be happy for us?

I angrily hit the 'off' button, taking my eyes off the road for a second to look at what I was doing.

The next thing I hear is the swerve of brakes. I immediately look up to see a pick-up truck coming towards me at full speed.

I turn the wheel in a panic, dodging the truck, but colliding with two other cars on the road.

Everything suddenly turns black and pain starts to hit in...


Gerard's POV

"FRANK! FRANK!"

I stand up, resting my hand on his shoulder, desperately trying to calm him down. I don't have a clue what was going on. He just started shaking frantically, his eyes clamped shut. Oh god, what did I do? I just told him what we think might have happened, we don't exactly know for sure.

Realizing I'm not helping any, I call for help.

Two nurses nearby run over at once, one hushing Frank, the other injecting something in his arm. He keeps shaking, unaware of everything around him.

Aimee and Linda suddenly walk in, laughing and chatting away. They stop when they catch sight of Frank, Linda dropping her bag instantly.

Gradually, he stops shaking, his head dropping to the pillow.

The nurses make their way over, shooting dirty looks in my direction.

"I think you should go now, he needs his rest."