Rollercoaster

Chapter 57

Aimee's POV

The silence was the longest wait in my whole life. Those words were the hardest thing I'd ever said before. Though, it was more of a whisper than me actually saying it out loud. In fact, I didn't even think Frank heard me right. He just sat there, this blank expression forming on his face. Sean shuffled awkwardly in his seat.

We just sat there.

Waiting.

Waiting for something to happen.

I don't exactly know what, but just something.

To save us, I guess. From this awkwardness.

Like an answer to my wish, a door opened at the end of the corridor. A mass of kids flew out in every direction, their teacher running behind, trying pathetically to get them to stop. She failed. They ran past us and out of the huge set of antique doors beside the Principal's, laughing and cheering.

The weekend had begun. I longed to be one of those kids. They looked like they didn't have a care in the world. Their average day probably consisted of : getting up, getting ready for school, going to school (which would be easy, because they have enough friends to get them through and nobody would bully them), hanging out at a friend's house after school, playing video games, watching TV, eating candy, going home, going to bed and then the cycle starts all over again.

Sounds boring really, but at this moment in time I would love to have that. No worries. No responsibilities. The only thing to worry about is what socks to wear the next day. Their mom probably picks out all their clothes for them anyway. Oh, and that's another thing. Family. All happy and close. No fights, no screaming or shouting. No pain. That sounded good to me.

Frank suddenly sat up and scratched his head, probably trying to register what just happened.

Sean sat straight in his seat, like me, nervous of what was coming next.

"You're.... pregnant!" Frank shouted.

I didn't really know whether it was a question, or he was just confirming what I had just said. Both probably.

I nodded weakly.

His eyes widened, then quickly bulged.

"What?" He whispered first, before repeating it louder. "WHAT?! What the hell do you think you're doing, getting pregnant, Aimee? You're fifteen, for God's sake! Did you even know what you were getting yourself into? Huh? And who the hell do you think is going to look after it while you're at school? Cause I'm certainly not going to!" He chuckled a little, a mix of anger and disappointment burning in his eyes.

Tears were rolling freely down my cheeks. Although I thought of the worst, I didn't expect this. This was way worse. No just guilt, or stupidity, but humiliation as well.

"And you..." He turned to Sean. "Did you think of the consequences? Huh? I bet this was all your idea, wasn't it? Cause let me tell you this, Aimee would have never got into this situation before you came along. Were you trying to look 'cool'? Or did you just think you could take advantage of her?" He paused for a minute. "Did you?"

Sean hadn't moved at all, but I could tell he was really uncomfortable with this like me. His face had turned white and his throat was all dry when he tried to talk.

"No Sir." He said confidently. "I would never take advantage of Aimee or pressure her into anything. I love her. We didn't mean for this to happen. It just ... did. But I know one thing in all this. Anything that happens in the future, I'm right behind Aimee completely.."

I gasped a little under my breath. Was Sean actually serious? Oh my God, I had no idea he felt like this!

Frank cut him off, laughing manically. "Love? Love? You're fifteen, you don't have a clue what love is! And just to confirm things, you won't be behind Aimee. You actually think I'm going to let you 'look after' my daughter? No way. C'mon Aimee, we're going home."

I froze. Since when had he started calling me his daughter? Any normal day, I'd be thrilled, just not today.

Frank got up off his seat and headed for the door without another word.

I didn't move, just continued to sit there, hoping he'd forget about me and walk on out.

He stopped just as he reached for the handle. "I said we're going, Aimee." He repeated, not turning back to face us.

"But what about Sean?"

Again, he didn't move. "I'm not telling you again, Aimee. Get up." He ordered.

I hesitated. I didn't understand why Frank was acting like this. I mean, there was being protective, but this was just plain scary.

Reluctantly, I slipped my hand from Sean's grasp, smiling hopefully at him. He smiled back. I heard Frank sigh, so quickly headed for the door.

He went on out, expecting me to follow. I turned back. I hated to leave Sean, but I hadn't seen Frank like this before. My heart won over my courage.

I checked Frank wasn't there, and started walking back

"What are you doing?" His smile turned to a confused look.

"I don't want to leave you," I whispered into his hair.

He lifted my head up and smiled at me. "Go on. I'm fine."

But that smile didn't fool me. "Where will you go? If your mom finds out, she'll."

He stopped me. "Aimee, listen to me. I'll be fine, don't worry. Now, please. go. It's not like we'll never see each other again, right?"

I laughed silently. He kissed the top of my head, gently pushing me away.

I took one last look, before catching up with Frank.

Sean was right We'd just see each other tomorrow, and things would be better, right?

Wrong.