Rollercoaster

Chapter 65

Mikey's POV

We sat in silence around Aimee's bed. It must have been around thirty minutes now since Frank read the letter. As soon as he read it, he threw it down and stormed out. I guess it was all the frustration built up inside that made him like that.

"Maybe I should go look for him." Bob said aloud.

No one was really listening to him. We were still all in shock about earlier. Out of the five of us, Bob was definitely the strongest, or at least most emotionally stable. He never shows when he's sad, just covers it up with other things.

I looked at him, expressionless. "Uh, yeah. We'll stay here in case he comes back, or she wakes up..."

Somehow I couldn't see that happening...

Bob nodded. Just as he reached for the door handle, it turned and opened. A doctor walked in. He looked very smart, with his squeaky clean shoes and wrinkle-free clothes. Not one hair was out of place on his head. He stood awkwardly at the bottom of the bed, lifting a clipboard off the end of it and began scribbling down notes in the spaces provided. Lifting his head to look up, he quickly scanned the room.

"Uh, is a..." He paused, turning the previous page. "Mr Iero here?"

Bob stepped forward. "No actually, I was just going to get him.."

The door opened yet again, a miserable Frank standing in the frame.

"No need." He mumbled. His face was red, eyes bloodshot, hair damp with rain and clinging to his forehead.

"Ah, Mr Iero.." The doctor put on a fake posh accent, holding out his hand for Frank to shake.

Much to his disapproval, he ignored it.

Frank cleared his throat, looking properly at the doctor. "Hows Aimee?"

"Well she's stable, but she's not showing any signs of recovery just yet.."

The room seemed to brighten up a bit. Stable. That had to be good, right?

Frank remained the same, looking over at her. "Hows the baby?"

The doctor stiffened a bit. "Ah, well that's the thing..." He looked at all of us, then back at Frank. "You might want to hear this alone."

We froze.

"No, they can stay."

The doctor shrugged, taking a deep breath. "Well I'm afraid with the amount of blood lost through Aimee, the chances aren't looking good.."

Gerard jumped up from his seat beside the bed. "What? That can't be right! She's nearly eight months pregnant, for God's sake!"

The doctor was taken aback. "I'm sorry, Mr um?"

"Way."

"I'm sorry Mr Way. There's nothing more we can do. Aimee will live, but the baby's chances are looking slim..."

Frank stopped sniffing and looked up.

"Wait. You said slim, right? So it's still alive?" He began grinning and turned to me. "Mikey, you hear that?"

I nodded, smiling at Frank's happiness.

The doctor shook his head, putting his hand on Frank's arm. "No, no. You don't seem to be getting this, Mr Iero. The chances of the baby's survival are very slim.."

Frank cut him off. "But the baby is still alive. Am I right?"

He tutted. "Well yes, but..."

"But nothing, Mr err... Doctor! I'm not forgetting about this baby if it still has a chance!"

"Mr Iero, if this baby does make it, which I highly doubt, then it will most likely be physically or mentally disabled, blind, deaf..."

Ray stood beside me, putting his arm around Frank. "Then we'll all be there for it. Like he said, Doc, no way on earth we're giving up on this baby."

Frank looked up at him warmly and smiled. "Thanks." He whispered.

Seeing he was getting nowhere, the doctor turned to leave. "Right, well I'll be back later to check on Aimee's progress."

"Bye!" We all called after him.

Frank smiled, taking Aimee's hand in his. "Yeah, we'll get through this."