Rollercoaster

Chapter 8

"No Dad, please don't! Please!" I scream, hiding my face.
"You don't deserve me! You're the reason your mother left. You're the reason I'm always drunk. Everything's your fault. You're going to pay!" He yells and lifts his foot to my ribs, repeatedly kicking me.

My ribs start to bleed, then he moves on to my face. He kicks and kicks, and doesn't stop until I'm in a river of blood on the floor. The river slowly and painfully starts to drown me. I'm slowly drowning in my own blood. Trying to get out, trying to call for help. But no one can hear me. I'm so alone...


I wake up in a cold sweat, panting heavily.

"Mornin' Sugar. You okay?" I look over to see Gerard happily making breakfast in the kitchen.

"I'm fine thanks," I try and get up, but my arms refuse to move. I look down. My arms are pale white and the bed sheets are covered in dried blood. "Oh my God!" I scream. I start to cry, and find I can't stop.

"What's wrong?" Gerard suddenly looks serious and runs over to me. He pulls the covers away to reveal the now red sheets. "Fuck."

He pulls me into a tight hug and rocks me as I cry into his shoulder. I think I must have fallen asleep, because I wake to find Frankie tucking me in.

"Glad you're awake! We were starting to worry about you." He's cheery as usual, good old Frank.

"Oh ," I remember what happened before and quickly peel off the bedsheets. My arms look a better colour now and the sheets are clean as new.

"By the way, I talked to the police. I know about what happened Aimee." He's not so happy now. "I'm sorry, Kiddo."

"Don't call me that!" I snap. "And nothing happened, so I don't know what you're talking about." I turn to face the wall.

"Okay. Well I'm sorry, but we're going to have to go to the....." He trails off.

"Go where?" I yell.

"The care home."

Two hours later

As I walk up the stone steps, I can imagine how cold and stern this place will be. Frank's holding my hand. I feel bad for snapping at him. I didn't mean to, but I wish everyone wouldn't blame Dad all the time. He was right, it's all my fault. It's my fault that I'm here, no one elses.

We reach the top step. I can hear loud shouting coming from inside. I stop walking.

"Aimee, come on. Everything's gonna be fine. I promise you." His trusting smile makes me change my mind.

I don't know why he's done this for me. He's being so supportive for me. I turn back and can see four black outlines in the tour van.

"Well hello there!" I look up to see a tall, slender woman with grey hair scraped into a bun. Her outfit is grey too and her expression is cold and uninviting, hidden by a smile. I tighten my grip onto Frank's warm hand and don't want to let go.