Status: Finished

A Soothing Sound for Sleeping All Night Long

You can take back your misery.

I shivered stepping off the plane. California was a significant fifty degrees warmer than New Jersey. I wasn’t packed for this.

“Kelly, it’s cold. Let’s go home.” I whined to my best friend who was feverishly searching the sea of people for her parents.

“Adjust. We’re here for a week. You’ll be fine.” She said shouldering her bag and approaching a man who had his back turned to us. She tapped lightly on his shoulder, he spun obviously agitated by the chaos around him.

“What?!” His face relaxed with realization.

“I didn’t know you were home. This Erin. Erin, meet my brother Jonathan.”

“How do you live here?! It’s fucking freezing!” He laughed and put an arm around mine and Kelly’s shoulders.

“I’m usually touring so I’m only here maybe three weeks out of the year.”

“Touring? You’re in a band?” I asked smiling up at him.

“Yeah. It’s a small local thing. Sparks The Rescue took us out last time. I’ve been home about two days. Mom and Dad are stoked to have both their babies home, Kelly.” She rolled her eyes.

“Yay. This should be fun. Say, who are you playing with tonight?” She asked, a knowing smirk already adorning her face.

“Racing Kites. They’re great guys.” I stopped in my tracks.

“You knew?” I asked her. My eyes widening.

“Yes. I checked last night when we were on the plane. I didn’t know he was playing with them too.” She said inclining her head at her now very confused brother.

“What am I missing?”

“Nothing. It’s nothing. Don’t worry about it.” I muttered walking beside him. My head now racing with a thousand thoughts. We arrived at her quaint little house that stood off the road. I sighed. It was almost comforting to be away from the city for a little while. After a quick meeting with her parents we rushed upstairs to a room that looked like it hadn’t been touched since she had left. A pre-political Green Day poster was hung up over her bed.

“Those were days.” She said staring at it.

“Why didn’t you tell me about the guys?!”

“I never got a chance and then when I remembered we found Jonathan so I didn’t know what to do! Anyway, now you know! Chill girl.” She said dropping her Gucci bag on one of the beds in the room.
“I shared a room with my older sister.” She said explaining the extra bed. I nodded and dropped my own bag onto the bed and sifted through my belongings.
“I don’t have anything warm besides some t-shirts.” I muttered holding up a yellow V-neck. She nodded and walked over to her closet.

“I have this?” She said holding out a black The Used Jacket.

“It’ll work I guess.” I said taking it from her. She grabbed another hoodie out of the closet and her own clothes before making her way out of the room.

“Better eat or something. The show is in two hours.” My eyes widened.

“That’s too soon!” She shrugged.

“It’s never too soon to fall in love, Erin.” She said flashing me a smile and walking away. I sighed and leaned against the mountain of pillows. He was just a guy. How did I even know that he wanted to see me again? Why was I here?

>> Show…

We were sitting in the back of Jonathan’s bands van. I was on the verge of a panic attack.

“Hey. It’s not like your stalking him. You came to visit with me. It just so happens that my brother is playing with his van. You’ll be fine just try not to be so….you?” She said standing outside the door.

“I can’t.”

“Yes you can.”

“Kelly! Long time no see! What’s up?!” I scooted farther into the van at the sound of Matty F’s voice.

“Nothing much just trying to get my bitch of a friend out of the van.

“Want me to try?” He asked looking inside. His face was of pure shock.

“She’s- Dude. Where’s Dave?” He asked hurridley looking around. I jumped out at him and clasped my hand over his mouth.

“Shh. Don’t get Dave.” I said standing back.

“You were so composed at the show. Is that a Cali only trait?” He asked teasingly.

“No……I just……that’s not me anymore.” I muttered.

“Over the course of a two weeks you’ve changed?” He asked. I nodded.

“She’s seen the error of her ways.”

“Come on. At least come see the other guys?” Matty asked offering his hand out. I sighed and took it. We went into the venue. I took a shaky breath. Dave was standing beside the merch table, he was on his phone talking heatedly with someone.

“This-No.” I stepped back.

“Erin Noell! Now. You get back in this venue and go talk to that little bitch or I’ll bring him over here!”

“You wouldn’t!”

“Oh, but I most def would. Go.” She said pointing at him. He was now looking over at us. His phone pocketed. Dave’s head was tilted to the side, watching us. I looked at the floor and slowly made my way across the floor. It seemed like a mile.

“So you’re following me now? No wasn’t good enough for you?” He asked. I met his eyes.

“I-Kelly is from here. She’s visiting. Her brother is playing in a opener.”

“Coincedence? I’ll take it. Why are you talking to me then?” I opened my mouth to tell him to fuck off but thought better of it.

“I wanted to thank you for making me think. I need to change. So- uhm….thanks?”

“That’s all?” He asked, his eyebrows raised. A small smirk on his face.

“Well….never mind. Yeah that’s it.” I said shuffling awkwardly. He watched me silently.

“Erin….look at me.” I looked up quickly. He was inches from me now. I snuck a look around the venue. Everyone had strangely disappeared. I looked back up at him. His cocky smirk was gone. He pushed a strand of hair out of my face.

“You want to change? Quit the partying. Quit sleeping with every guy around.”

“Is there anything I can do?” He smiled.

“There’s one thing you can do.”

“And that is?”

“This.” He said quietly pulling me to him. His hands rested on the small of my back. Our lips met. It was sweet and simple. No drunken force. It didn’t feel planned or over used. It was exactly what I needed to become the person I was meant to be. Who knew it would start and end with Alex and his twin.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END.
Mhm.

Title cred- All Time Low