Status: COMPLETE

The King

Revelation

Having picked through the array of swords and daggers in the armory, the band of friends made their way even more cautiously through the castle. Brian was actually quite surprised that they hadn’t run into any of the Renegades, or with Bartholomew even. But then he rationalized that Bartholomew wouldn’t view the outer grounds and back corridors as being such a point of vulnerability. But now that they were edging closer and closer to the heart of the castle, Brian was growing more and more anxious.

“Bartholomew will most likely be in the throne room,” Lyndsey whispered into Brian’s ear as they stopped at an intersection of halls, peeking around the corner to make sure they were still alone. “He thinks that by sitting in there, his power will somehow grow.”

Nodding, Brian led the group down the hall, making sure none of them scuffed their feet or stepped too loudly, to keep all attention focused away from them. They could hear voices around the corner once they were near enough, and Brian realized Lyndsey was right. Brian quietly poked his head just barely around the corner. Renegades were filtering through the corridor, moving between the different bedchambers, some heading down the next hall to the throne room, while others continued down toward the dining hall.

“So… how are we supposed to get in there if they’re all over the place?” Matt whispered. “Not to mention all the ones that would already be inside the throne room?”

“I don’t know-“ Brian began, but then a thought struck him. Looking back over his shoulder at Matt and Zach, he grinned. “How would you boys like to begin the battle?”

Us?” Zach hissed, eyes wide. “What do you mean?”

“We just need a diversion. Something to pull them far enough from the throne room, at least for a little while,” Brian explained.

“But how?” Matt pressed.

“Well it’s not very hard; they’re not exactly the brightest of men,” Lyndsey mumbled under her breath. “Your best bet, without dressing as ladies and trying to woo them away, would be to walk down there, act like you belong, throw some insults, and run. They’ll get caught up in the chase.”

“They can’t be that stupid,” Matt scoffed.

“When their pride is hurt, they will chase you. But you’d better be ready to fight if they catch you,” Lyndsey further explained.

Taking a moment, Matt and Zach looked between both Brian and Lyndsey in silence, and then turned to each other. Sighing as they realized they didn’t have too much of a choice, they shrugged and then moved past the other two, glancing around the corner until they worked up the courage enough to move forward.

Bran and Lyndsey watched as the two boys tried to nonchalantly stride down the corridor, the two of them looking rather stiff as they went. In no time at all a verbal exchange was made, and Matt and Zach took off down the hall, the Renegades hunting them down in a pack.

Hoping the clamor hadn’t alerted anyone in the throne room of a disturbance, Brian then turned to Lyndsey.

“Go find my mother,” he hissed, though there was no one around that could hear them anyway. “Let whoever you see know that I’ve returned… I think I need to speak to my uncle alone.” As he spoke the words, Brian felt a heavy coating of dread fill his stomach. He was not looking forward to what laid ahead.

With a brief nod, Lyndsey set off down the corridor, trying to make as little noise as possible as she passé the intersecting hall that led to the throne room. Slowly Brian followed, turning once he reached the next hall. The throne room was in sight, and while he felt braver than he ever had in his life, he also felt a heavy sense of impending doom. Like he was about to walk into a death trap.

Where is my dinner?!” a harsh, familiar voice growled out, echoing down the hall. Brian stopped where he was when he heard shuffled footsteps down the other end of the hall, coming toward him. Heart leaping into his throat at the thought of being caught, he threw himself flat against the wall hiding halfway behind a suit of armor. Trying to settle his breathing, Brian poked his head around the metal figure, watching as the person came more into view. Though he could not clearly see her face, he’d know who it was heading toward him any day.

Quickly his mother turned and entered the throne room. Brian quickly followed to the doorway and tried to peek into the room as much as possible without being seen from inside. He could hardly see his mother kneeling before Bartholomew who had a mean scowl on his face.

Why are your hands empty?” he spat at the former queen. “You should know that it is your job now. And as soon as I find that girl who escaped, she’ll learn her place.”

Brian felt rage grow inside him at the threat toward Lyndsey, but he held his ground as he watched the scene unfold.

“Bartholomew, there’s no food. The crops have all died, as have all the livestock,” Suzannah explained.

“No, you’re just not looking hard enough,” Bartholomew insisted with a snarl.

“We have. There is nothing left. You’ve over worked our resources. It’s over,” Suzannah said, and Brian took pride in how bold she sounded as she stood her ground. “The only choice we have is to leave the kingdom. We must find a new place to prosper.”

“We’re not going anywhere,” Bartholomew snapped, and Brian could see the fiery hatred in his eyes, even from where he was stood, his head barely poking out from the wall.

“Then you have sentenced us all to death,” Suzannah said fiercely.

“I guess that is just a risk I am willing to take, then.”

“You can’t do that!” the former queen hissed. Brian’s blood by now was boiling. He’d never heard anyone treat his mother so rudely in his life.

Bartholomew gave an evil laugh at the statement laid before him.

“Oh, but I think you are forgetting, Suzannah. I am the king. I can do whatever I want.”

“If you were half the king Brian was-“ Suzannah began, but in a mere second Bartholomew had silenced her, as he leapt from the throne, with a hard smack across the face. Brian watched with rage in his heart as his mother was knocked to the ground.

“I am ten times the king Brian was, and you will learn your place before I have to put you there myself!” Bartholomew bellowed, and Brian felt his skin beginning to crawl. He had had enough.

No longer able to hide, Brian launched himself forward into the throne room, his sword drawn. He would have been lying if he said the startled look upon his uncle’s face hadn’t been satisfying.

“Keep your hands off of her!” Brian called, his entire body pulsating with the unimaginable hatred he felt for Bartholomew, his own uncle.

“Y-you?!” Bartholomew stuttered, his eyes wide with shock, his heart pounding in his chest.

Brian ignored him only for a moment as he knelt down to his mother’s side. As he touched her cheek, Brian watched as Suzannah’s eyes fluttered open, a small groan leaving her lips as she tried to sit back up.

“Brian? You… you’re alive? But… how?” he asked, recognizing her son in an instant.

“It doesn’t matter, mother. I’m here. I’m home, and I’m going to take care of this.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooooh, only a few more chapters left!!!!! WEEE! So exciting.

Comments? xoxox