Status: COMPLETE

The King

Bait

Just inside the castle gates, Brian and the king dismounted their horses, preparing them to be taken back to the stables by the stable boy. As the two were slowly heading toward the steps a smiling Nathaniel scurried down the steps to them, causing Brian and the king to stop.

"Good day, your highness," Nathaniel said, and the king smiled.

"Everything in order?" the king asked, and the prince drifted away from the conversation that began between the advisor and his father. He wasn't much interested in economics and politics, despite knowing that one day, maybe soon, he would need to know such things when his time as king came.

Instead his attention was turned toward the closed gates behind him where the heard girlish gigging. Peering through the gates, Brian could see a small huddle of peasant girls. Smiling, he took a few steps closer. The girls were scantily clad, though they couldn't have been much older than the prince himself.

Brian smirked at the girls as they waved, his eyes glancing over their creamy shoulders and down to the ample cleavage they displayed. Brian knew these girls were harlots, and though he'd never touch, he certainly had no problem looking.

The loud pattering of feet and heavy breathing of the king's page boy as he hurried down the castle steps pulled Brian from his thoughts, and he turned back to where his father was speaking with Nathaniel.

"Your majesty," the page rushed out quickly, receiving a nod from the king before continuing. Seeing the look of urgency on the page's face, Brian returned to he king's side. Catching his breath, the page swallowed before presenting his small audience with his oral delivery.

"Sir, I have just received word that the Renegades have trespassed into our territory. They've already begun pillaging and rioting on the east side of the village."

The king was suddenly alert, standing a little straighter as his face became stony.

"Nathaniel, take Brian inside and make sure he stays there," he ordered seriously, and the advisor nodded, stepping up to the prince. Turning to the page, the king continued. "Gather up a few of the knights. Tell them of the situation; we will leave shortly." Nodding, the page hurried back into the castle, the king following at a much more leisurely pace, despite the situation.

"Come, Prince," Nathaniel said, ushering Brian toward the castle, and he hurried to his father's side.

"Father, can't I come?" he asked, eyes wide as he imagined himself brandishing his own sword, fighting the enemy alongside his father.

"No. It is much too dangerous for you," the king answered, dismissing him as the hurried to the stables where the knights would be convening before the attack.

Sighing, Brian trudged the rest of the way up to the castle, head hanging as Nathaniel came to his side.

"I never get to go and fight; it isn't fair!" Brian complained. "Just once, that's all I want. And he never lets me."

"Well, just think. As soon as you're king, you can go off into battle as often as you wish," Nathaniel said with a grin, trying to lighten the prince's spirits. Brian gave a small grin as they entered the castle, but he still felt rather upset. Though when he looked up and saw his uncle heading down one of the many grand, stone halls, Brian smiled. Leaving Nathaniel in the dust he raced after Bartholomew.

"Uncle!" he called after him. Bartholomew stopped reluctantly with a scowl and a grumble.

"What?"

"Father just showed me the kingdom," Brian announced, practically beaming. "And when I'm king, it's all going to be mine."

"Oh is it?" Bartholomew answered, gritting his teeth. He was still quite upset that the throne had, in his eyes, been unlawfully taken from him. "And did he show you Renegade Alley, just beyond the reaches of the kingdom?" he asked, a plan working furiously away in his mind. With a sigh, Brian's shoulders slumped.

"No. He said I'm forbidden to go there."

"And he's absolutely right; it's far too dangerous for a young boy like you," Bartholomew said, feigning concern yet knowing he was only piquing his nephew's interested in the subject.

"I'm not a boy; I'm sixteen years old. Practically a man," Brian insisted, puffing out his chest as they walked.

"Well, either way, only the bravest of men dare to venture into Renegade Alley."

"What's so dangerous about it?" the prince asked, pressing for more information.

"I refuse to become a bad influence on you, Brian. I mustn't say what lies beyond the boundaries of the kingdom," Bartholomew said, trying to hide the sly smile as he felt his plan being set in motion. He could see the curiosity in young Brian's eyes.

"Now...after this talk, you must promise me you'll never end up places you don't belong," Brian's uncle said as they stopped just outside his chambers.

Debating it over in his head, Brian slowly nodded. "I promise."

"Good. Now you run along," Bartholomew said before slipping through the door before him.

Heading to the other side of the castle, Brian smiled to himself.

Telling a lie had never felt so good.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm adding Saturdays into the updating pool, indefinitely. At least for the summer.
So this is for today, as I won't have the time to do it later, I'm sure.

Comments?
<3