Status: COMPLETE

The King

An Adventure

A few days had passed, spent in anticipation on Brian's part. He knew he wanted to somehow find a way to escape the castle without his mother and father or any of the adults or servants finding out his ulterior motives. He wanted to go see what was so forbidden about Renegade Alley. Surely his father was just being overcautious. There really couldn't be anything dangerous about it. After all, it was technically inside the reaches of the kingdom. The Prince didn't quite understand how one section of the village in the kingdom could be beyond their boundaries. It just didn't make sense to him. But he was determined to find out why it was forbidden.

Racing through the castle, Brian came to a skidding halt outside the courtyard. Stepping out into the bright sunlight he smiled as he saw the queen, one of the noblewomen, and his best friend Lyndsey. She was the daughter of the noblewoman, and her parents were close friends with the king and queen. Naturally, Lyndsey and the prince had grown up together, their bond spanning back to when they were just toddlers.

"Just the girl I was looking for," Brian said as he stepped over to where the three women were seated, talking quietly. Lyndsey looked up upon hearing his smooth voice.

"And why would you be looking for me?" she asked coyly as she stood, embracing her close friend.

"Because, there is something I want to show you," he answered, taking her hand and beginning to pull her away.

"But, wait-" Lyndsey said, looking over her shoulder at the queen and her mother who were watching the pair with knowing eyes. "Aren't you going to tell me what it is first?"

"Now why would I do a thing like that?" Brian asked, a flirtatious twinkle in his eye.

"Because maybe I might want to decline," Lyndsey shot back with a smirk--something she'd almost mastered as well as the young prince had.

Taking note that their mothers were both in hearing range, Brian cleared his throat.

"I can't tell you; it's a secret. A surprise of sorts," was his reply to her snappy comment. In reality, he knew full well if he told Lyndsey the truth about where he wanted to take her, his mother would forbid it. And that was exactly what he didn't want.

"Alright. Let me at least ask mother first," Lyndsey said, letting go of Brian's hand and returning to her mother.

"Mother, Brian wanted to show me something. Could I go?" she asked, presenting her mother with a smile.

"What exactly do you plan on showing her?" Queen Suzanne asked, raising a brow at her son. He stepped forward, his arm subconsciously going around Lyndsey's waist.

"It's a secret. Just in the village," Brian reassured, and Lyndsey's mother and the queen exchanged glances.'

"It's alright with me," Lyndsey's mother said with a shrug.

"Alright," the queen answered with a nod, and Brian grinned before grabbing Lyndsey's hand and pulling her away. "There's just one thing, Brian."

Groaning, he stopped. He knew what was coming, and there was no escaping it.

"Nathaniel is to go with you."

"Mother, that's not fair!" Brian whined as he turned back to her.

"Well, Brian, what do you want from me? You're my only son, let alone my only child. I just want you to be protected," the queen said, meaning every word she said. She was always terrified of something terrible happening to her Prince. She didn't know what she'd do if she lost him.

"Brian, just...agree with her," Lyndsey said quietly, and he sighed with a nod.

"Alright. We'll take Nathaniel," he grumbled, taking Lyndsey's hand once more and leading her back through the castle.

Some time later, Brian and Lyndsey were strolling the streets of the village as Nathaniel led them a few paces ahead. They talked and laughed, watching the peasants go about their daily lives. Whenever they passed, Brian and Lyndsey were smiled at kindly by the king's subjects. Brian was quite used to it, but it only succeeded in making Lyndsey blush.

"So what is this secret, surprise thing you wanted to show me?" Lyndsey asked, looking up at Brian who was only a few inches taller than her.

"I can't say. Not until we ditch the watch dog," Brian answered, glancing ahead at Nathaniel. Lyndsey sent him a disappointed frown.

"Brian, you told your mother that you'd have him watching over us," she pointed out.

"Lynds," Brian chuckled, "we're sixteen years old. We're practically adults; it's time we were treated as such. We should be allowed to go on our own throughout the kingdom if we so please. And besides," he added, sending her a charming smile, "I'm here to protect you."

Lyndsey just smiled and rolled her eyes, catching the way Nathaniel looked over his shoulder at them with a smile of his own.

"Right, so when I say run...follow me," Brian advised quietly. "Nathaniel will never be able to catch us, so it should allow us to go see the...secret place...before he can find us again."

Lyndsey nodded in understanding.

"You know, Nathaniel," Brian spoke up, causing the elder man to turn around as he stayed ahead. "You don't really have to follow us around. I'm sure you'd much rather be doing something else, am I right?"

"You are correct, young Prince. But it is the rules that I am to be your supervisor. It'd be my head if I were to leave you on your own, even in the safety of our own kingdom."

"Yeah, well when I'm king, that'll be the first rule to go," Brian laughed and then he leaned into Lyndsey. "Run," he whispered, quickly grabbing her hand so as to stick together, before he made a mad dash past Nathaniel. Lyndsey held up the skirts of her dress with her free hand as she laughed, running along with Brian. There was no denying that their adventure was exhilarating.

"Prince!" Nathaniel shouted, running to try and catch up to them. But it was no use--he wasn't fit enough to catch Brian, and trying to wave his way through the townsfolk wasn't going to be easy.

Coming upon his destination, Brian smiled. He quickly glanced over his shoulder, noting that Nathaniel wasn't in sight. Slowing down, the prince tugged Lyndsey with him into the mouth of the alley, resting his back against the shaded wall as he caught his breath, Lyndsey glued to his side. A few moments later Nathaniel passed them, continuing on until he was one again out of sight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eventually, the prologue and this chapter will have songs in them. I just have to find time to do it on the other computer, as this one doesn't like to cooperate.

Another update for Special Update Saturday =)

Comment? I'm sure many of you know what's coming next ;) haha

xo