Status: COMPLETE

The King

The Prince's Ball

"Brian, are you ready?" came the call of Queen Susanna through the door to his bedchamber. Standing a littler taller in front of the looking glass, the price tightened the stark white cravat at the base of his neck, flattening the lapels of his crushed velvet, navy jacket. His hair looked slightly unkempt, but that was the way Brian liked it, and everyone else would just have to accept that. Because tonight was his night.

"Brian?" the queen called once more and Brian sighed, finding his appearance acceptable before he turned and answered the door.

"My, do you look handsome," Susanna beamed, eyes twinkling as she looked over her son from head to toe, ushering him out of the room and down the hall toward the grand entrance hall. Noticing the prince's unkempt, unruly hair, the queen clicked her tongue in protest.

"Honestly, Brian, you couldn't fix your hair for tonight?" she lightly scolded.

"This is how I like it," he answered.

Shaking her head in disapproval, the queen reached out and attempted to tame her son's hair, only to have him duck and wave her off.

"This is how I like it," he insisted again, only resulting in the queen pursing her lips.

"Everyone is here tonight, Brian. Don't you want to look your best?" she asked, the bustling commotion from the ballroom getting louder the closer they ventured. "Lyndsey is going to be here..."

"Mother," Brian hissed through gritted teeth, sending her a look of warning as his cheeks blushed pale pink.

Halting just beyond the grand staircase, Brian waited for the queen to continue onward and for the noise to quiet down. He was to wait there until his introduction.

On account of the fact that he had just recently turned sixteen, a ball was being held in honor of the prince, as a sort of 'coming of age'. He was no longer a boy, but was now a young man, and as such, was to be celebrated.

"And now, his Majesty, Prince Brian Elwin Haner the Second," the announcer called, and Brian stepped forward through the doors that had just been opened to him. Standing as regally as possible at the top of the stairs, Brian was met with applause from the royal subjects in attendance.

"And now, the Prince will entertain us with a dance."

Smirking, Brian's eyes scanned through the guests as he descended the stairs, finally falling upon one face. Stopping before Lyndsey Brian bowed, holding his arm out, bent at the elbow in an invitation.

"May I have this dance?"

Grinning like a fool, Lyndsey curtseyed, eyes catching with Brian's enchanting brown orbs before she took his arm, following where he led. The guests parted before them, opening up the middle of the grand hall as the lights dimmed.

Taking Lyndsey's hand in his, his free hand taking her waist as Lyndsey's hand gripped his shoulders, their forms creating a frame, Brian waited for the orchestra in the balcony to begin playing. He took the first step, Lyndsey following as they created an elegant waltz.

Throughout the entire dance, others such as the king and queen and others of the court joining in halfway through, Brian's gaze never broke from hers. He couldn't help but smile down at her as he realized how beautiful she really was. Lyndsey's hair was pulled up in an elegant twist in the back, a few tresses framing her face, and the dress she wore looked to be spun of pure gold and white silk. It was by far the most done-up Brian had ever seen her, and there was no denying he liked what he saw.

Lyndsey nearly let out a squeal as Brian let go of her waist, his hand pulling their joined arms above their heads as he turned her, and smirked when he took her waist again, pulling her closer than before.

"You look very beautiful tonight," Brian whispered in her ear as he leaned further into her body.

Blushing as she played coy, Lyndsey sent a pursed smile up at Brian, noticing how the hand holding her waist began gripping her the tiniest bit tighter.

"Thank you," she murmured just loud enough for Brian to hear. "You're looking rather handsome yourself. But I see you've done nothing to fix your hair," she giggled.

"This is how I like it," Brian insisted for the third time that night, smiling down at his best friend. In a few minutes the song came to an end, the dancers stopping where they were. After bowing and curtseying to each other like everyone else, Brian and Lyndsey clapped for the orchestra, another song starting up only moments later.

Sometime later that night, after sharing a handful of more dances (though many of the ladies of the court kept insisting Brian danced with their daughter; they'd do just about anything to ensure a good future for them), Brian pulled Lyndsey by the hand out into the open courtyard.

The air was crisp, the moon full as it hovered above in the star-speckled navy sky. Leading her away, Brian moved past the initial courtyard to one of the gardens, where the grass was a lush green.

"So, are you enjoying yourself tonight?" Brian asked Lyndsey as she settled herself on the grass, the skirts of her gown pooling around her as she sat. Smiling, she looked up and nodded.

"I am, very much so," came her reply, and only a few moments later Brian had joined her on the grass. "And you? I mean, this is your ball..."

"It has been an undoubtedly good night," Brian answered with a sigh, eyes catching with Lyndsey's before she blushed and looked away. "Although, it'd be better if less women were tearing me away from you to dance with their daughters," he added with a chuckle, causing Lyndsey to nod and laugh with him.

"I cannot lie, I quite enjoyed your facial expressions every time a new one approached you," Lyndsey giggled. "Quite comical."

"Oh, I'm sure," Brian laughed, and after a few moments they calmed down. Sighing, Lyndsey looked up at the sky before glancing back at Brian.

"What do you think it'll be like to be king?" she asked him, picking at a few blades of grass as she looked away.

"I'm not really sure," Brian replied truthfully. "I am sure it will be amazing, at the least. It will be a lot of responsibility, but be worth it at the same time." Sighing, Brian looked up at the moon. "I just have no idea what I'm going to do for a queen."

Eyes still on the ground, Lyndsey's smile faltered for just a moment. Brian had no idea of the feelings she had for him.

"I'm sure you'll find someone," she nearly whispered, looking up at Brian just as he looked over at her. Brian couldn't help his eyes glancing down to the pout of Lyndsey's bottom lip. As the months had gone on, there was no denying he felt something strong for her, but Brian was so confused when it came to his own emotions that he wasn't sure what kinds of feelings they were.

And then, as if something had possessed him, Brian began to lean forward, eyes jumping between Lyndsey's gaze and her lips.

Heart pounding, Lyndsey was practically frozen as she felt Brian nearing her. She knew what was about to happen, and her brain seemed to have shut off once it figured out Brian's intentions.

Taking a deep breath, Brian closed his eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
This would have been out sooner but I had an incredibly shitty day to say the least.

So how many of you hate that cliff hanger there?
And how many of you love the fact that I totally had to make this entire scene up mahselfs as it is not in the movie ; ) booyah I love the idea, personally lol

COMMENTS!? LYNDSEY, COMMENTS? ; ) bahaha