Hinan Sekatsu

Latis

"So I explained that it was a hit and run that happened while I was in class, and apparently there was a 'terrorist bombing' on the parking structure," Teruth elaborated over the phone, the day after the demon incident.
Kyo quickly found the story online, "from these pictures, it really looks like a bombing! Our devil friend must've blew fire all over the place, either out of anger or... like he planned it out!"
"I doubt that, anything that would fly headfirst into a building couldn't possibly formulate a plan like that."
"But what if... maybe something more intelligent was controlling it? Or giving it orders telepathically?"
"I'd just like to know what the Hell all that was. Maybe if we look around that field where it started we can find some clue, or that Demon slayer guy's mangled corpse."
"Well I'm not so much hoping for that, but we might as well. Meet you there, I can walk there from my house in the time you can drive there..."
"Seeya." Teruth hung up the phone and donned his black leather trenchcoat, not without concealing a few knives in it.

Teruth and Kyo met in the middle of the field.
"Damn," Teruth looked around, "not even an eviscerated corpse!"
"And who's corpse might you be looking for?" a voice came from behind them, they turned to look upon Korosu, all in one piece. "Thought I couldn't handle that little guy? He outran me is all, in pursuit of you two."
"Wait a minute," Kyo interrupted, "how did you even know we would be here?"
"Markos can locate anyone in the city with his Ki," Korosu explained, "come with me, I'll explain everything on the way." He walked toward the car, "since you're already involved, you'd be wise to ally yourselves with us. From our brief meeting yesterday I gathered that you are adepts who do not yet realize it, therefore I am obligated to give you an explanation," he reached the car.
"Hey, why my car? Didnt you drive here?"
"No, Markos dropped me off, I'll just give you directions.
Teruth opened his door, which he had somewhat repaired by hitting it with a hammer, but remained scratched an dented, "where exactly are we going?"
"It's an abandoned warehouse on campus."
When the other to entered the car, teruth got back on the road.
"Now, your explanation?" Kyo asked.
"I saw you use Ki yesterday, so you have some experience with it?" Korosu began.
"That's right..."
"Well, some people are born with unnatural skill at Ki manipulation. They were first noticed in ancient China. They were Xiaolin monks, but they were corrupted by their power, and thus expelled from the temples and died in exile. They were called Jinsen. Their next major appearance was in Rome, where they were renouned heroes. Here they were given the name Latis. But in the Dark Ages, their purpsoe changed drastically when the Demons attacked.
"They called themselves 'Legion', the same beings that tormented humans in biblical times. The Latis drove them back, but the villagers saw them as sorcerers, and they were executed. However, a new wave of Legion emerged a few decades ago, and the Latis of our age have fought against them, quite successfully. Howeverm a new problem now torments us.
"An adept named Xiaruth, said to be a direct descendent of the surviving Jinsen, has recruited at least half of the known Latis in this area, forming the neo-Jinsen. In this war they are a neutral faction, caring only for themselves, they abuse their gift."
"Why would a neutral group be a threat?" Kyo intervened.
"Well, they threaten us with temptation, first of all, they draw Latis away from our cause, leaving fewer to resist the forces of Hell. Second of all, and far worse, we now know that they are working with Legion."
"Why would Demons ally themselves with mortals?" Teruth interjected.
"Well, while Demons are immortal, they are not indestructible, and as humans become better equipped to defend themselves, Demons will have a harder time preparing for a full scale invasion. As of now, their main objective is simply to eliminate the Latis, and thanls to the Jinsen, they have a deadly new method. A way to merge the physical plane with the Astral plane. Only Demons and adepts can exist in this world, and that is what occurred yesterday."
Teruth drove into the campus of Lexitha University, "ok, turn right here..." Korosu proceeded with his complicated directions, ending up at a place neither Teruth nor Kyo had ever seen, the shattered parking lot of an ancient warehouse.

"I've called everyone here," Korosu lead them into the offices of the warehouse. In the room they encountered an asian girl not much older than Teruth and Kyo and a guy of about Korosu's age clothed in a brown leather trench coat.
The girl spoke first, "Joshua, you're back!"
Korosu seemed frozen momentarily as he looked down, "dont call me that! I'm Korosu, the slayer!"
"Whatever you say..." She turned back to Teruth and Kyo, "I'm Reia, that actually is my name, unlike some people around here. I'm half Japanese you see."
"Whoa," Kyo exclaimed, "I'm half Japanese! I'm Kyo Hamaretsu."
"I'm Teruth the Dark."
"Yeah, is that your real name?" The trench coat clad Latis asked.
"It is now. Someone else gave me a name when I was born, and one day I rejected it, why should they get to tell me who I am?"
"Well, you can call me Konaru. No, it's not mine, Konaru was the greatest Latis who ever lived. He was a Samurai, you wont find him in any history website... You see, the Samurai were the greatest warriors who ever existed, that is, the Samurai and the great gunslingers of the American west, so I live by the honor code of Bushido, but wield the combat style of the gunslinger!" He reached into his trench coat and with blinding speed drew two revolvers.
Kyo looked amazed, "are those-"
"Colt Single Action Army, just about the greatest weapon ever made." Konaru concealed the guns as quickly as he had drawn them.
"And I'm Markos." Teruth found himself unsure of sure where the voice came from, he never noticed the sixth Latis in the room. He stood up from his seat behind a desk in the back. He wore ordinary jeans and a black T-shirt, hje approached and pushed his long, black hair out of his face.
"Markos is sort of our leader," Korosu spoke, "his brilliant tactics are the only reason any of us are alive."
"Kyo Hamaretsu, Teruth the Dark," Markos began, "did Korosu explain the situation?"
"Yes," Teruth replied, "apparently we are Latis, and we are meant to fight this ongoing invisible war."
"So, will you two join us, and fight Legion to protect humanity?"
Teruth paused for a second, "I will."
"And I will," Kyo followed.
"Good," Markos continued, "do you have martial arts training?"
Kyo spoke first, "2nd degree in Taekwondo, 1st in Tangsoodo."
"3rd degree black in Ninjutsu," Teruth explained.
Markos nodded in satisfaction, "do you have good weapons?"
"I just got this aluminum pice of shit, I do more damage with my bare fists," Kyo said.
"But you'll want a good weapon by your side, the forces of Legion are not to be taken lightly. We have plenty to choose from in this warehouse, follow me." Markos lead them out of the room.

Kyo looked through the decent stock of katana and wakizashi, "several questions, Markos; first, how did you get all this if you're forced to work out of a warehouse?"
"Why, these belonged to our fallen comrades."
"Whoa..."
"Their chi still resides within them, and it will lend the deceased owners strength to the new one, as long as you wield it with good intention."
"Second, why doesn't everyone use guns liek Korosu?"
"For one, they cost money, the guns and the ammo. They're more common among the Jinsen, you see, Korosu is actually a Jinsen deserter, he got out with enough ammo to last a lifetime, one of our lifetimes anyway... And also, ours is a job of subtelty, we cant alert anyone to our workings or leave any evidence. But with their merging of the planes, that is no longer an issue, so Korosu can fight to his full potential, ironic for them." Suddenly, Korosu picked up a sword about the length of a katana in a sheathe wrapped in blue cloth.
Kyo examined it, "what's this?"
"Je Dok Gum," Korosu handed it to him, "probably the best sword ever designed, definitely the best from Korea."
"Of course, the Admiral's Sword."
"That's right, a Korean admiral stationed in China picked up a few martial arts secrets from them, and he created a sword and a new style. He gave it to his concubine and instructed her to give it to his son and let it be passed down through his family. Of course it's a replica, but it's great quality and battle ready."
Kyo drew the blade, its straight shape contrasted that of a katana, yet still sharpend on only one edge, its balance felt flawless, "I'll take it," he resheathed his new weapon.
At that time Teruth spotted something interesting. He picked up a kama in one hand, and in the other the chain attached to it.
"The kusari-gama!" Konaru exclaimed, "can you actually use that thing Teruth?"
"A little."
"Well," Korosu said, "take that if you want... But make sure you only pull it out when you're surrounded by demons, with no allies within 20 feet of you!"
Teruth rolled up the chain and carried it in one hand.
"Now," Markos spoke up, "I suppose we should give you a training mission, it's my understanding that you already have some Demon slaying experience."
"That's right... but we kind of won by pure luck, I think we could use the training..." Kyo said, "so what's our mission, Markos?" He was ready for anything with his Admiral's Sword in hand.
"There appears to be some demonic activity in the Orunder area, off Tower Road. I want you two to search the place, if you find any demons, kill them."
"There shouldn't be more than one or two, merely reconnaisance on their part, it takes a while to organize an attack of yesterday's caliber," Korosu added.
"But does that mean the planes will be merged, and it'll just be us and them?"
"No, that technique is a huge effort for Xiaruth, it takes him about a week to recover. This means the Demons' Ki attacks would be worthless, but so would yours, which is why I'm willing to send you two when you don't know much about Ki manipulation... However use what you do know, use Ki to enhance your blows, and for sensing purposes, it's all you can do in our world."
"Ok," Teruth seemd satisfied.
"Once again, search Orunder for any sign of Demonic trouble," Korosu briefed them, "and also look for anything related to Jinsen or Legion, but don't cause any trouble, this is just recon."