Sequel: We're together now...

I Never Would've Thought..

Chapter Thirty Six

Gerard's POV

I walked along the hall to Bob's room, slowing as I got closer. I didn't even know what I was doing back here. Did I want to clear things up? Or did I want... What DID I want? I stopped and ran my hands through my hair, tugging at the newly black tresses that I just redyed; roots were showing. I was always good at improptu situations, and as I opened the door, I hoped that words would just come to me at the last minute, like they so often did.

"We need to talk," I strode briskly into the room and spoke, not looking at Bob but at the floor, hoping that this wouldn't drag out.

"It's okay, I think I know what you're talking about, and I know I've made a huge mistake," the voice came, tentative and frowning from the bed.

"Huh?" I looked up unconciously, startled. I didn't expect this, and in rare occasions like now, I was speechless.

"Yeah, Sarah and Bethany told me what kind of mistake I made. Guess it's pretty huge," he twisted the bedsheet between his fingers.

"Yeah... So..." I faltered, not really knowing what to say; I didn't expect this to be so quick, but a little nudge of relief poked my stomach from a corner. Things were going to be okay now...

"But," he interrupted my thoughts, and I looked at him and saw him looking up at me with shining eyes, "How can you stop loving someone just because their name is different?"

I looked at him, short-lived relief dissapating really quickly, precipitate of panic forming in the pit of my stomach.

"No... You can't love me. You've always loved Mikey! This will pass, it's just a misunderstanding," I paced the room, talking quickly, waving my hands around as I spoke.

"What's to misunderstand about love?" he followed me with his eyes, frowning. I looked at him in despair. Bob, so stubborn, so sure he's right, he has no idea...

"What?" he cocked his head. I think I might've said that last bit out loud. But I continued, not thinking about the effect it might've had on him. I spoke softly, whispering.

"You have no idea who you're hurting..."