Status: Completed

Mama's Smile

For my mother.

Mama held my hand when I took my first step. She sang to me every night before I fell asleep. Mama kissed my forehead when I learned to say ‘I love you’ back. Mama is very proud of me; she shows it from her smile.

Mama loves it when we spend time together; she loves watching me get all excited. She listens to all my stories and laughs at my jokes. She dances with me in front of the TV and we sing along to the radio in the car. Mama always has a great time; I know it from her smile.

Mama and I had a big fight some time ago. I didn’t speak to her for days. I was stubborn and hot-tempered; and Mama didn’t like tantrums. I wouldn’t answer her, and only talk to Father whenever she was around. But Mama didn’t seem to bother. When I finally decided to apologize, I cried on her lap. Mama pulled me into a hug, and forgave me with a smile.

Mama wasn’t at home when I came back from school the other day. I wanted to tell her that I’d gotten an A for Math, but I didn’t know where she went. Father brought me to a tall, white building later that afternoon. I didn’t like the smell of the place. A lady dressed in white led us to a cold room, and I saw Mama lying on a bed.

She wasn’t smiling.

Mama slept on the bed for three days. Different kinds of tubes were inserted to her arms and chest; Mama got weaker day by day. I was scared. I didn’t understand why she had to stay there when she could be with us. Father told me that Mama was sick, but she would be returning home soon. I cried every night she stayed in that building. I wanted Mama to be well; I wanted to see her smile again.

It was the last night Mama would be staying in the hospital. I held her hand as I talked to her, telling her about my day in school. Mama was tired, but she tried her best to stay awake. When Father announced it was time to go home, Mama squeezed my hand tightly and told me everything was going to be alright. I believed her and nodded my head, she smiled back.

Mama’s crying again, but I was there to dry her eyes. Mama was still in pain, when I kissed her hand goodnight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mama was diagnosed with breast cancer back in Fall 2008. She had undergone surgery and is currently recovering well. My heart goes to all family members who have been / is currently going through this rough period of time. Stay strong. God bless.