We're Just Two Men As God Had Made Us

Chapter Thirty Nine

Mikey’s POV

I ran out of the house, not looking back, and into the street. As I ran down the street, white puffy clouds bursting from my mouth, I noticed the Bestensens standing at their doorway, with cruel smiles on their faces. Then, I knew how the police had found out. From their house, they could see into ours if they wanted, and I should’ve known. From the moment they moved in, we knew they weren’t the “nice” sort. As nice as Godzilla with a migraine will ever get.

I ran faster, my sneakers rhythmically thudding on the wet road, running blindly. Where was I to go now? I slowed down, the pain in my chest forcing me to stop eventually. Breathing hard, I looked around me for the first time. I knew this neighbourhood…

“Ray!” I gasped, and ran to the third house from the left, with paisley curtains at the window. As distressed as I was, I couldn’t help but wonder what self respecting dude will have paisley curtains on his window. I sprinted down the driveway and onto his porch step, throwing myself at the door. I heard footsteps, and the door opened revealing an angry looking Ray.

“What the hell do you- Oh my God, Mikey?” I saw Frank on the couch looking disheveled and surprised. The surprised anger on Ray’s face dissolved and turned into a look of concern at my present pale and sweaty state. “What happened??” He demanded and pulled me in. Breathing hard, I collapsed into his arms and he hugged me awkwardly, patting my back.

“Gerard, he’s… gone!” I managed to whimper before feeling my chest tighten and I passed out from the pain and lack of ozygen, faintly aware of Frank running to me and shouting.