Sequel: Pretty Bird

People Got A Lotta Nerve

Be Still My Heart; The Postal Service

Sunlight is what wakes me up…not alarms, not a designated person to come in and try and rouse me from the dead, just the natural, organic light that fills up my room every morning. This morning was different though. Instead of the sunlight feeling warm and welcoming on my face, I was awakened by a shifting body, a deep breath in and out, and someone’s hair tickling my forehead. I opened my eyes, my eyelashes having to flutter open a few times in order for my focus to come back, and saw the pink rose tattoo that occupied the skin below Oliver’s collarbone. His chest rose and fell gently, my head fitting perfectly in the crook of his neck, his arm wrapped loosely around my shoulders and back, his hand resting on my stomach. I was lying on my side, my legs curled up in a tangled mess with his, just like I was a koala hanging onto a tree trunk. I yawned, my jaw extending as wide as it could, and laid my head back down on his chest. He was still silent, just the subtle inhalations and exhalations keeping time as I laid there, in perfect bliss.

I laid there a while, just taking in every curve of his body, the way his tattoos decorated his skin, the way his mouth hung slightly open as he slept, his fingers lightly gripping onto my side. He was peaceful, and I was comfortable, even though I had never felt so exposed in my entire life.

You know that scene, in the first Shrek movie, when Donkey and Shrek are on the way to the castle? The one where Shrek explains to Donkey that he is like an onion, with many layers? I remember watching that when I was young, and not really understanding. But now, it makes perfect sense. I was that onion, or that parfait, as Donkey said. I have a hard outer shell, one that protects me, keeps me safe, but the further in you go, the more and more vulnerable I get. The more my sensitivities show, the more I actually let on that I care.

Somehow, in the course of last night, I had let Oliver in, one layer at a time.

I am not really sure how it happened, but in between the rough skin on his palms grazing the skin on my sides, up my ribs, to the clasp of my bra on my back, to the way he leaned his forehead on the top of my head as I fumbled with the buckle of his belt, he saw me. And I gave him me.

The way we kept our bodies pressed together, even as the backs of his knees hit my mattress, causing me to fall on top of him, his hands still keeping me close as I slowly stepped out of my shorts, the drawstring tie coming undone immediately, as if a sign from some higher power.

Somewhere along those lines, my mind became a whirling vortex, all of my thoughts spinning around my mind like a movie put on fast forward, the scenes of my life for the past few months flashing by like I was in hyper drive, from falling on my face at that show, to the look in Oliver’s eyes when I greeted him on my doorstep just that night. The colors seemed so bright at some times, faded into a sepia dream during others, until in one epic climax my brain couldn’t control, it stopped, and the comedown occurred, my mind slowly untangling itself and my senses restoring their bearings, the tips of my fingers shaking with adrenaline and serotonin, my hair a damp brown mess sticking to my shoulders and back.

My eyes were still closed, unable to focus on one point as I snuggled my body up to his, his skin covered in a soft sheen of sweat. His breathing was calming at that point, going from heavy, labored huffs of air to his now normal, gentle breaths. I could feel his breath on my face, the minty chocolate smell still lingering, his lips pressed lightly against my forehead.

Talking was overrated, as with any need to get up and face the reality that took up residence in my house once Emma left. We just stayed there, huddled in a mass of blankets and physical closeness, his hand that wasn’t draped around my side brushing against my cheek softly.

---

The morning came, to take the place of every kiss and every caress that had happened the night before, my head still on his chest. It was around 11 in the morning when he finally stirred, his hand squeezing my side slightly, his body shifting under mine. I loosened my grip on his as well, rolling over onto my stomach and resting my head on one of my propped my hands, my eyes intent on his.

“I haven’t slept in a real bed in what feels like forever.” His voice was deeper, slower, filled with sleep.

“This beats your tour bus bunk?” I smiled at him, my hair still a tangled mess.

“Mmm….nahhh.” He smiled back; his eyes seemed to shine in the sunlight.

“Oh, well I can go find some heels and stomp around if it’ll make you more comfortable.”

He laughed, and pulled me up to his face, his arms wrapped around my sides. His lips touched mine again, but it still felt like the first time, when the shivers sent shock waves down my body and my blood began pulsing in my veins faster than I could have imagined. “That wont be necessary.”

“Do you have any plans for the day?” I asked, once our lips finally parted.

“Only what your plans are.” He gave me that cheeky smile again, with lots of teeth.

“Oh, so you’re going to follow me around then?”

“Just like a shadow, love.”

“What if I have to go to school and work today?”

He rolled his eyes. “I know your schedule, love. You are too organized to be unpredictable. You always take Fridays off, especially when you have school on Thursday.”

I scoffed, and rested my head on his chest again. “Am I really that bad?”

“Let’s just say I always know when you are going to call, or when you’re going to pick up if I decide I need to hear your voice.”

I smiled, and kissed him again on the lips gently, before wiggling out of his arms. “We have lots to do today!”

“Yeah? Such as?”

“Well, I am going to take you out! Show you around! There is more to this city than beach bars and show venues!” I grabbed my sheet, and wrapped it around my chest, in some futile attempt at decency. It didn’t really bother me anyways, its not like he hadn’t seen anything before, but there are some layers that I don’t think will ever fall down completely.

With the sheet wrapped around me, I managed to reach my dresser and pull out a bra and grab the draw string shorts I kicked off last night. With my back facing him, I put the bra on, one of my favorites, and slipped the shorts on as well. Letting the sheet drop now, seeing as I was now decently covered, I turned to him, his eyes fixed on me.

“You need to get changed too, you know.”

“I just want to watch you first.” He turned onto his side, his propped up hand supporting his head.

“Little bit of a voyeur, are we Oliver?”

“No, just like watching beautiful girls.”

I blushed, and turned away again, in a silly attempt to conceal my now red cheeks and ears. I made it to my closet, pulling out a blue plaid button down shirt, and a pair of basic skinny jeans. “Happy now?”

He nodded, stretching his arms up over his head, the first start to waking up.

“I’ll be in the kitchen; I’m making toast. And then we will eat and then go.”

----

“….You took me to the beach? I thought you were less cliché than this!” Oliver laughed, un-clicked his seatbelt from the holster, and opened my car door.

“Look over there, genius.” I laughed, pointing in the direction opposite of Oliver’s glances.

“Oh!” He exclaimed, “A roller coaster!”

“Mhm! And an arcade and one of those vertical drop rides and bumper cars, and so much more!”

It was a really, really good feeling, knowing I’m responsible for Oliver’s face lighting up like that.

“Bumper cars!?”

“That’s right, Sykes,” I giggled, taking his hand in mine. “Ill kick your ass though, so don’t get too excited just yet.”

He scoffed, and flipped the hair out of his eyes. “You’re clearly delusional, love. I’m the best driver ever.”

“Maybe, but this is America, sweetheart. We drive on the right side of the road here.”

“….Bumper cars have only one seat…”

“…..Oh…”

He laughed, gripping my hand even tighter as I could feel the affects of embarrassment take over.

“No worries, love. Let’s buy some tickets!”

All in all, I am pretty sure Oliver and I declared a draw, both of our necks starting to get sore from all of the collisions we had caused each other. The worst however, was when he crashed me into a huge metal pole, and the sound of metal and metal clanged in my ears for a good few minutes. The attendant even made me change cars, seeing as though the impact somehow even dented the bumper of the car, somehow. Oliver was all smiles and giggles, racing around corners, evading the little kids, just to crash me into a wall or into someone else. I had forgotten how competitive boys could be before then, but he reminded me without a shadow of a doubt.

His sweet side emerged again though, as soon as we finished playing, and his hand managed to snake its way back into mine, pulling me towards a cart selling cotton candy. Before I could protest in the slightest, he had purchased me one, a big plume of hot pink cotton candy, spun around a paper stick. The caramelized sugar turned a darker shade when my wet fingers pulled it from the base, and instantly in my mouth. We had sat down at some bench, mothers guiding their children away from us, probably due to Oliver’s tattoos, all on display due to his black V-neck. He would rip off a chunk of the cotton candy, and split it in half again. One half would go into his mouth, the other half he would feed to me, not letting me touch it, insisting on feeding it to me himself. He was cute, I couldn’t wipe the stupid smile off my face, and everything just felt right. Even though I was now swimming in debt, so behind in work, and abandoned by my one true friend, he was here, and there was no way I could deny that I was happy enough, just with him here.
♠ ♠ ♠
----

Awwww :)

I wanted it to be kind of a cutesey chapter. Besides, thats what fanfic is all about, right?
comment if you like, pleaseeee.
I want to know what you thought!

:D