The Songs of Leslie Orange

Adobe City

Leslie Orange walked into the city small town with the whip of the dusty wind. Her hair flew across her face as she surveyed the place. It was eerily quiet. The townspeople looked at her as she walked down what could be considered Main Street. She eventually found what she was looking for. It was just as dusty inside as it was outside, and just as quiet too. The guests in the hotel watched her as she approached the front desk.
“I’m here to meet Sonia Gonzalez,” she said. The man at the front desk hesitated before calling up to Sonia’s room. Some hushed words and a few nods later, Leslie was given a key and directed towards the elevator. Once she was inside, she pressed the button that would take her to Sonia’s floor. A few moments later, she was walking down the hall, towards Sonia’s room. She was stopped in the hallway by a young man in what Leslie would have described as “vacation clothing”.
“Leslie?” He asked. Leslie paused. She didn’t recognize his voice, and she couldn’t see his eyes behind his sunglasses. She finally answered him.
“Yes,” she said duly. The man removed his glasses. Leslie recognized him as Paul.
“Paul?” She asked with a smile. Paul smiled and hugged her.
“Hey, I haven’t see you in a while,” he started, “Granted, the first time I met you, we were on a Greyhound bus, so…” Leslie nodded.
“Yes,” I do stay on the road quite frequently too,” she said. She suddenly remembered Paul’s sister. “How is Beth?” She asked. Paul shrugged.
“She and her husband are off enjoying parenthood,” he started, “I found myself without my partner in crime, so I shuffled down here for some R&R.” Someone walked up behind Paul and wrapped her arms around him. He smiled and kissed one of the arms.
“Hey Leslie,” the women said from behind Paul. Leslie leaned over and met Carmen’s relaxed expression.
“Hey Carmen,” Leslie said, failing to keep the shock out of her voice. Carmen and Paul gave each other a look.
“That sounded like emotion Leslie,” he said. Carmen nodded in agreement.
“Yeah, you usually sound so…blah,” she said. Leslie succeeded in keeping the irritation off her face.
“Oh, yeah, so I’ve heard,” she said. Paul sighed.
“Well, we’ve got to get to the pool,” he said. Carmen nodded in agreement.
“Oh, by the way, are you here for the show?” Carmen asked Leslie.
“In a way,” she said. They said their goodbyes, and Leslie made her way to Sonia’s room. She swiped her key, and found the room in disarray. “Sonia?” She called. Sonia emerged from the bathroom. Her jet black hair hung over her face. Her mascara ran down her cheeks.
“What?” She cried. She realized it was Leslie. “Oh, Leslie,” she said. Leslie gave a small wave.
“How’re you?” She asked. Sonia stormed across the room.
“No better than shit!” She said. She shoved a cigarette between her lips and lit it. She offered one to Leslie.
“No thank you,” Leslie declined. Sonia took several puffs before speaking again.
“Fuck this! Fuck me!” She shouted. Leslie started gathering papers off of the floor. She noticed they were all songs that Sonia hadn’t completed. “This songwriting shit’s for the bird!” She said. Leslie gave her a look. “Not you, obviously,” she said. Leslie gathered all of the papers and started looking them over more carefully. Sonia ran her fingers through her hair. “I was just trying to write a song for my cousin,” she said, “Y’know he’s going to college now?” Leslie shook her head.
“He’s getting old,” she joked. Sonia took another puff.
“Fuck yeah!” She said. She drummed her fingers on her hip. Leslie looked around the room. Sonia took it to mean she was bored.
“Maybe I need a stress reliever,” she said with a grin. Leslie gave her a wide-eyed look.
“Well, uh,” she said, at a loss for words. Sonia crossed the room and was sitting next to Leslie before Leslie could react.
“Come on,” Sonia said. She kissed Leslie’s neck. Leslie swallowed.
“I can help you write another song,” she said. Sonia laughed lightly.
“You can help me sing one too,” she said. Leslie smiled.
“Sonia, our relationship was a long time ago, now I know you didn’t call me all the way down her for sex,” Leslie said. Sonia rolled her eyes.
“What the fuck does the past have to do with anything?” She said, “I just looking for sex.” Leslie shook her head. She stared Sonia down for the longest time. Sonia didn’t back down. Leslie caved.
“Fine; first work, then play,” she said. Sonia shook her head.
“Not in Sonia’s world,” she grinned.

Leslie awoke with Sonia’s arm across her stomach. She started to rub Sonia’s back. She stirred, and then awoke. She looked up at Leslie.
“Afternoon,” she said. Leslie smiled.
“Are you relieved?” She asked. Sonia shook her head.
“Fuck no,” she said. Leslie sighed and kissed Sonia’s forehead.
“Too bad,” she said. She rolled out of bed. Leslie felt Sonia’s hand slap her butt. She rushed to get dressed, feeling Sonia’s lustful stares. Sonia stayed in bed. Leslie grabbed her notebook. “Okay, let’s get started,” she said. Sonia reached for a cigarette and lit it. She took a puff.
“I want to write about…this place,” she said. She rolled over and stared at the ceiling. She took another puff. “Y’know?” She asked. Leslie shook her head. Sonia laughed. “This place is just so weird,” she said. Leslie started writing. Sonia took another puff. “We should write a song about a mysterious entity,” she started, “One that lives amongst these people, for which they have reason to fear and remain quiet.” Leslie raised an eyebrow.
“Um, okay,” she said. Sonia sighed and took another puff. Leslie eyed Sonia’s body from her chair. Sonia rolled over the face Leslie.
“We are Adobe City,” she said. Leslie crumpled up the piece of paper and tossed it at Sonia. She read it over. “I love it,” she said with a smile. Leslie held out her hand.
“Good,” she said, “Now give it back; I need to put it in my book.” Sonia grinned and placed the paper between her legs.
“Come and get it,” she said. Leslie leaped out of her chair.

Paula and Carmen sat in the front row. Sonia balanced a cigarette between her lips as she spoke into the microphone.
“Okay bitches and bastards, this is Adobe City,” she said. She turned and laughed at Leslie shocked expression. She waited until Leslie started with the tune. It was a simple song. There was no chorus, no additional instruments besides a guitar and some vocals. Leslie started playing. Sonia closed her eyes, looking for the Alison Mosshart in her. They were going to sing together. Sonia started first.

We are Adobe City.
We are the ghosts in your dreams.
We are Adobe City.
Everything is not as it seems.

We are the bump in the night.
We are the eaters of souls.
We are the makers of fright.
Something that everyone knows.

We are the ninjas in the dark.
We are the sharks in the sea.
We are the ideas that you spark.
I’m talking about both you and me.

We are the stars in space.
We are the craters in the Moon.
We are in every place.
And we’ll see you soon.

We are the shadows on your walls.
We are your night light too.
We are the ones wandering in the halls.
Coming to a theater near you.

We are the static on the TV screen.
We are in the snow.
We walk by without being seen.
And now it’s time for us to go…