Water cooler Romance

And Nights Grow

We sat in the coffee house at a table in the corner. I fiddled with the paper from my straw. Bob and Mikey talked about their favorite episodes of Family Guy.

"Hey Gerard remember that one with Stewie, when he drove Brian nuts because he couldn't pronounce 'Cool Whip' right?" Mikey chuckled nudging me.

I looked up at him and laughed. "Yeah that one was pretty funny."

"What's up dude? What seems to be on your mind?" Bob asked whole -heartedly.

"Me?" I said with a high pitched voice.

"No, the guy behind you dork wad!" Bob laughed throwing a napkin at me.

"Oh, nothin'. Just have my mind wandering a lot today I guess."

"Oh wow, so we should see some great lyrics soon huh?" Mikey asked.

"Yeah maybe so." I nodded, then finishing the last of my frappachino. "Well, I'm going to head back to the bus."

Bob and Mikey waved me off. I walked back to the bus with my hands in my pockets. Looking down at the ground and noticing all the litter. Humming a tune that I am not quite familiar with.

Arriving at the bus, I walked in and went straight to my bunk. I did have some lyrics running through my head, so I grabbed some paper and started writing.

"Knock, Knock." said someone outside my curtain.

I sat up and pulled them open. It was Frank. He had smeared eyeliner under his eyes from our show the other night still on his face.

"Jesus man, are you gonna wash that shit off your face?" I asked smiling at him.

"Yeah I know, its hard as fuck to get off though."

"Try using soap. I hear it works wonders."

"Shut up! So whatcha up to?" Frank peered in my bunk looking around.

"Nothing really, just jotting down some fresh ideas." I said as I closed my folder of scribbled writing.

"Oh. Well, you wanna come with Lacey and I? We were gonna go down to the shore for a little bit."

"Thanks, but I think I will stay here tonight, I'm beat. Have fun though."

"Ok, get some rest then." Frank said as he ran his fingers through my hair messing it up more than it already is.

"OK, night." I said yawning and pushing my folder aside.
It was late and I really was beat, even though I slept today. I have no idea why I am so tired. Usually I can never sleep.

As the night carried on, I tossed and turned restlessly. Finally, I sat up and looked out the window. This is useless, I cannot sleep now. Coffee, yeah that is what I need right now. Kicking the covers to the side, I swung my legs out of my bunk and jumped down quietly. Groggy and robotic-like, I walked into the kitchen to make up a pot of coffee. I filled the maker with water and put the filter in, spooning enough coffee in, a little more than needed. As I flicked the button to on, I heard..

"Whatcha doin?"

I thought I was gonna come out of my skin. "Holy shit!" I said loudly, turning to the booth in our kitchen.
Lacey sat there in her little t-shirt and small boy shorts. She looked so beautiful. She had no makeup on and her long hair pulled into sloppy pigtails.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I was just sitting here in the dark. I can't sleep. I take it you can't either?"

"No. I can't. Think I had too much sleep today."

"I wish I could say the same." she said looking down at her toes.

"Why do you say that?" I walked over to her. I was going to sit at the table across from her but, she scooted over as if she wanted me to sit next to her. So I did.

She explained to me that she has been working hard and has not had much sleep. As she talked about her job, I felt her arm touching mine. Suddenly her voice was muffled. All I could do was stare at the table and feel our arms touching. My arm felt numb, like I could not move it.

"Ya know?....Gerard?..Hello?...Did you fall asleep on me?" Lacey said giggling.

"Huh?" I looked back up at her not knowing what she last said to me.

"I said, its tough to work all the time, it wears you out. But if its something you love, then its worth it. Ya know?"

"Oh yeah, totally. Totally worth it. You are totally worth it."

"What?" she asked giving me a weird face.

Oh shit, did I just say that out loud? Fuck..say something..quick..say something!

"I said, yeah its totally worth it..your job. Sorry, I suppose it is a bit late for me and I am not making that much sense."

................Damn I'm good!

Lacey touched my arm and giggled again, "Oh Gerard, you are so funny. Oh..looks like the coffee is ready."

That night, Lacey and I drank two pots of coffee together and talked about our jobs, our love for our jobs, what we want out of life and much much more. It was a good night. Best night I have had in awhile.
I have to say, it felt really nice. Nice to know someone was listening and someone cared. Especially a female, and a female that was not a fan who clung to every word I said, analizing it over and over again until it almost had no meaning.
Someone who just generally cared about me.

Frank is a lucky guy. Lacey is something special. I only wish I found her first.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you guys could leave me comments on what you think, that would be great. It's always good for a writer to hear some feedback! :) Thanks