Water cooler Romance

It's Not Your Fault That No One Ever Does

I walked into the bus and noticed Lacey and Frank sitting on the couch. Tucking my hair behind my ears as I walked over to the kitchen table and sat down.

"Hey man! Where were you?" Frank said walking over to me.

Looking up and him with the this pain in my chest, knowing what I have done to my best friend..and as of now, he didn't have the slightest clue.
"I um, just went out for a little walk. It's really nice out, it was quiet and I thought I would get a little exercise." I said with a nervous laugh.

"You went strolling out in yout pajamas?" Frank sat down in the booth across the kitchen table from me.

"Yeah well, you know me. I don't give a shit what people think."

"True true. So Lacey told me about you two."

Feeling all the blood drain from my face down to my toes and getting a numb tingling feeling all over the rest of my body, I looked up at Frank in a state of panic.
"Huh?"

"Yeah, she told me that the other night you both could not sleep, drank a bunch of coffee and stayed up half the night just talking and chilling out." Frank said smiling.

"Oh..oh yeah..we did. Great conversation. She is pretty cool."

"I am so glad that you like her. You're my best friend man, I guess I am kinda looking for your approval ya know?"

"Thanks Frank, you have my approval," I said again laughing nervously, " she is a good girl, talented, smart, beautiful, funny, very cool. I mean she can dance and you were saying that she can sing, which I have yet to hear. Hopefully we can get around to her having the mic one of these days with us."

"Yeah that would be cool. I think she would like that. I will mention it to her." he said standing up.

"Mention what to me?" Lacey said walking over and putting her arms around Frank.

I had to look down at the table. I could not watch them being affectionate with each other, it hurt too much.

"Oh, Gerard and I were just talking about you singing with us."

"No way..I cannot do that!"

"Why not? You have an amazing voice, and we will let you sing whatever you want." Frank said leaning in to kiss her on her neck.

"Because, I am NOT amazing and I get embarrassed."

"I will sing with you if that will make you feel more comfortable." I said looking back up at Lacey.

"Yeah..I mean, I guess..that would be cool." Lacey said not looking directly at me.

There was tension here, and I could feel it.

"uhh, ok. Is eveything okay here? Did I miss something?" Frank asked looking back and forth at us.

"No, it's just..well you know I am nervous about singing. That's all." Lacey smiled at Frank and kissed him on the cheek.

"Oh, ok. Well yeah, cool, we will play something today. It will be great. I promise!" he smiled at us and walked out of the bus.

Lacey turned to me. "Look, I don't want things to be weird. Let's just do this song and call it a day. Okay?"

I looked up at her, wanting to hug her, but forcing myself to stay seated.
"Okay, sounds like a plan."

She looked at me and nodded, then walked out of the bus to catch up with Frank.

I am such a fuck up.