Forever

Steel Corpses Stretched Out To An Empty Sun

Just then a bunch of policemen was yelling at everyone to get inside somewhere. Anywhere. A Deli was near by, I was practically pushed in from the crowd. I tried to fight my way out, I needed to get to Allie, she was in the North Tower. I needed to get to her as soon as I could. I fought my way through the pushing, frantic people. It took everything I had. I felt like I was at a concert in the middle where everyone squeezes together tight and you feel like a sardine.
I got to the front of the crowd, there were guards all around.

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to please go into the Deli. Its not safe out here." the police officer told me.

"Why not? Its not safe in there!" I yelled, " I have to get to my fiance. She is in the North Tower! Please, please let me just get her." I begged.

"Sir, everyone has a loved one in these buildings, but for your safety, I cannot let you go into that building. We have police and firemen on duty. We are doing our best to get everyone that we can out. Now PLEASE, please get into the building. " he said pushing me into the Deli along with others and closed the door.

"I HAVE TO GET MY FIANCE! PLEASE! PLEASE!" I screamed. I banged on the door with all my might. I kept hitting it, harder and harder, thinking maybe all the Superman comics I read as a kid would of taught me some technique to break the glass with my hand.

I looked up again, just then the South Tower came crashing down. People screamed. There was smoke everywhere. Debris filled the streets. It was chaos, panic, sorrow, pain, tears, dirt, smoke. It was a nightmare. My heart beat so loud I was waiting for it to pop out of my chest. The police officer that was just outside the glass door was no there anymore. Where the hell did he go? He was just there.

I grabbed the door and managed to pull it open. I couldn't see very well. The air smelled like butane. I looked around, getting disoriented. I caught a glimpse of myself in the window, my face was covered with ash, my black hair now gray, and my clothes all one color of gray. I coughed. I put my hand over my mouth and ran. I ran into a spot where some smoke had cleared the air. I coughed more and more. I was closer to the South Tower.

Just as I was about to start running again, some guy had ran into me and knocked me down hard. He probrably couldn't see me for all the smoke. I fell, catching myself with my right hand onto the sidewalk. My right leg caught the curb. I screamed out in pain. I thought for a moment I broke it. I tried to move it, and I was able to. I, however, had twisted my ankle.
I stood back up. I hobbled over to a mailbox and leaned on it for a minute. Just then my cell phone rang. I answered and it was Allie.

"Oh thank God. Are you okay?"

I heard a bunch of people near her, screaming, talking loudly.

"Well yeah I think so. I mean, all the firemen advised everyone to use the stairs because there is a good chance we could get stuck in the elevators. We are going down, but its moving slowly. I'm on the twenty fifth floor. But we are not moving."

"Okay, I'm coming to get you."

"Don't be silly, you can't get to me, I'm in a pack of people, we are squished on the stairs. We are getting to the bottom. I will be out soon. Please don't enter the building Gerard. Please. I will be okay. Just go into a building near by and stay there. Firemen are saying its dangerous to be outside right now." she said, her voice shakey. That's my Allie, still being positive. Nothing gets her down.

"Allie, I.." I coughed harded. I had to catch my breath. "I am so close, just let me get you and we can get out of here.

"Gerard! Are you outside? You are breathing in all that ash..get inside! What are you doing? You cannot come get me, now please, please go inside a building near by where its safe." she shouted at me.

"But"

"But nothing! Do it now!" she yelled at me again.

"Okay, but I can't leave you Allie." I cried.

"You are not leaving me, and I am not leaving you. I will be with you. I love you. I love you Gerard Arthur Way." she cried into the phone.

"I love you too Allie, Mrs. Allie Way. I love you too." I cried harder, coughing and wiping my face with my hand.

I ran to the closest building. Some video game store.
I got inside and then got up near the glass from the inside. I coughed again. This time I noticed I coughed up blood. I looked down at my hand and felt myself start to tremble. What is going to happen to me? I wiped the blood on my pants. I leaned over, my hands on my thighs, coughing again and again. I spit more blood onto the floor. Suddenly I heard piercing screams all around. It scared me and I jumped up to see the North Tower come crashing down. I threw myself against the window.

"Nooooooooooo! No, God please no. No, no, no, no, no!" I screamed. I banged on the windows with my bloody hands and hit the window, again, and again, and again.

I coughed, I cried, I screamed. Tears streaming down my face more and more rapidly.

"Why, God why?" I questioned Him, "Not my Allie, please not my Allie. This is not happening!" I screamed, banging on the window again. I coughed up more blood, some sliding down my chin. I slid down the window of the store, my hands leaving a small trail of blood down the glass.
I fell to the floor. My legs too weak to hold me up anymore.
Outside the streets filled with more debris. More smoke more ash. I turned to look, but nothing was in vision. It was just gray clouds on the other side of the glass. My legs mustered enough strength to push myself back up to a standing position again. I looked for the North Tower, but there was nothing there. Everything was gone.
I banged on the window once more, hoping that God would hear me and make Allie run through that smoke to me, here in this store. I screamed some more, hitting the glass and crying. I coughed again and then looked behind me. Everything behind me was dark and gray. I couldn't see. I rubbed my eyes, and strained to see. I opened my eyes wide, my eyebrows raising. Trying to pry them open, but I still saw nothing. I looked around again. I felt weird. I felt dizzy and light headed. I started to stumble on something, I couldn't see what was below my knees. I tripped over something, fell, hit my head on something and the lights went out.