Forever

Cemetery Gates

Even though there were no remains, her family still had a proper burial for her. September 22nd, 2001 was Allie's funeral. It was back home in New Jersey. It was dark, raining and cold. Everyone stood in the rain under their umbrellas. The priest made it as brief as possible. Then people started loading into the cars. I stood in rain. No umbrella. My black hair now just touching my shoulders was soaked, dripping on my face. I wore a black trench coat. The rain rolling off the outer layer of it. Everyone complained about being cold. I wasn't cold. I was numb. I didn't care about the cold, or the rain. I just wanted Allie back.

As I stood there staring at her headstone, I twirled two roses in my hands. I walked up and layed them on her grave. I squatted down and read her headstone. I touched the engravings.

In Loving Memory of
Allison Marie Lane
March 27th, 1978- September 11th, 2001

"I love you Allison Marie Way." I whispered. I stood up and looked down and the roses. "Those roses are you and me babe. Always and Forever." I blew her a kiss and walked home in the rain.

I never did get to show Allie my drawing of the rose. The rose that represented her. She taught me that I am strong and can get through anything. I will not let this beat me down. I am not afraid to keep on living, I am afraid to not walk this world alone. Her words echoed in my head,
"You are good at what you do Gerard. You will be someone someday. Everyone will know your name, and you will touch hearts. I know it. I see it, and I feel it. I believe in you."

As I walked out of the cemetery gates, I knew that day, that I was no longer working for Dark Horse. I will still continue to draw, but drawing comics is not reaching out to people. I was put on this earth for a reason. Allie saw that. She believed in me, and now, so did I. I was going to start a band, and we were going to travel the world. I was going to sing my heart out, make my voice heard in more ways than one.