Forever

You Told Me Things Got Harder, Well, It Did

I remember the first day of highschool. I was fourteen, almost fifteen. I was really nervous. I'm not sure why. I'm not the type of person that cares what people think of me. I am who I am. Take it or leave it. What you see is what you get. However, I had these nerves that made me almost sick to my stomach. You have to understand. I was the geek. The nerd. Not the kind of nerd you think of with black framed glasses with tape around the midde, pocket protectors and someone who played chess. I was the freak, the weirdo who sat in the corner reading, drawing, keeping to myself. I never dressed in fashion. Never dressed to fit in, or look like everyone else. I wore what I liked. Usually jeans and some sort of t-shirt with my favorite band written across my chest. A jean jacket, even though that was popular in the eighties and no longer 'cool' in the nineties, I pulled it off. Most of the boys had these bowl haircuts, or as they called them then, a surfer cut. I, on the other hand, had black hair to my ear lobes. Choppy, messy looking all the time, like I never brushed my hair. It was always clean and brushed, but still had a messy look. Allie said to never let it get longer, but never cut it short. She liked it the way it was, because it was me... Gerard.
I rang Allie's doorbell, slipping my hand back into my pocket. It was a bit cool out that day. Even though it was September, New Jersey looked like winter was approaching early.
Allie opened the door, tossing her backpack over her right shoulder. "Ready?" she asked smiling at me.
"Um, yeah I think so." I said, my voice a bit shakey.
Allie knew me like a book. She could always tell when something was wrong. She could tell if I had something on my mind. We walked down her steps, meeting Mikey at the sidewalk. Mikey is three years younger than me. So he was still in 7th grade, but we walked the same path together as we always had. Belleville High was right across the road from Belleville middle. Everything was close in New Jersey. I loved it here. My home.
"What's wrong Gerard? Tell me, what's on your mind?" she slipped her arm underneath mine and Mikey's arm, walking between the two of us.
"I'm just nervous."
"Why, there is nothing to be nervous about." Mikey stated.
"He's right you know, there is nothing to be nervous about. Are you having freshman jitters or something?" Allie questioned.
"I don't know. I mean, what if people don't like me?"
Allie laughed, "Since when do you care what people think about you? Gerard, you are the coolest person I know.."
"Hey!" Mikey interuppted giving his pretend pout.
"besides Mikey! You didn't let me finish my sentence Mikey!" she giggled.
"Oh okay..sorry."
"You goof", I said shoving Mikey playfully. "I don't know. I just am a bit nervous. Maybe it is freshman jitters."
"Well, I'm a little nervous too, but we have each other." Allie squeezed my arm, reassuring me we would be fine.
That's the funny thing about Allie, she is always so confident. Always so strong and positive. Always there when I need her.