Forever

Let the Band Begin

The end of junior year was fastly approaching. I felt relief. I had one more year and I was done. I wanted to go to college for comic arts. My dream to work for Dark Horse or Marvel. I loved to draw, and knew I was good. I just didn't think I was Marvel good. Allie always reassured me that I could do it. This past year I have been fiddling with a guitar. I liked to play, it was therapeutic. I was not the that good, but I enjoyed it. I started writing songs. I sang here and there. I never sang around anyone. I was too embarassed. I thought I was okay, but I always feared I sounded differently to others.
One day I was in my room listening to my headphones. I starting singing aloud. No one was home, so it was okay. Or so I thought. Remember I said Allie always came over unannounced? Of course, that day she walked in on me. Good thing I was not getting dressed. She had a bad habit of not knocking. I don't know how long she stood there, but when I opened my eyes, she was leaning in the doorway smiling at me, clapping. I took the headphones out of my ears, feeling a bit embarassed that I was probrably singing at the top of my lungs.
"Why haven't I ever heard you sing before? Is there anything you CAN'T do Gerard Way?" she asked walking over to me.
"I...I..umm..I don't really sing for people. I was just messin' around." I said feeling my face become hot.
"Well, you should. You are better than you think." she stood up on her toes, putting her arms around my neck, kissing me softly. "So lets hear some more."
She picked up the guitar and played a few light riffs. I knew she played a little, but I never realized how good she was.
"Come on, what do you want me to play, I will play it, you sing it."
I smiled at her and sat on the edge of my bed. We goofed around, her playing, me singing. She sang with me on some songs. She enjoyed teasing me when she found the one thing I could not do. I could not play guitar and sing at the same time to save my life. As time went on, I got more comfortable singing in front of her, and Mikey. Summer came. We decided to start a band. Allie played guitar, Mikey started getting the hang of the bass guitar, and I sang. We still needed lead guitarist and a drummer. Ray Toro, a friend of ours who also went to grade school and highschool with us had a few classes with me. He was a really nice guy, and I heard through word of mouth that he was an excellent guitarist. I called him up and asked if he would like to be in our band. He was ecstatic. He started hanging out with us more, playing and writing some lyrics. Everything was working out well. Except of course we needed a drummer. Ray said that a friend of a friend of his played drums. Matt Pelissier was his name. He was pretty good actually. He joined the band a week later.
That was the best summer of my life. We practiced everyday. We called ourselves "Absent Minded". I still laugh thinking about the name. We were getting good. We loved it. All of us. It was our passion. It was my passion. I still drew all the time. The was still my number one love, but this music thing was creeping up to a close second. I knew that drawing was my career. I still planned to go to college and get my degree in Comic Arts. Music was something that I wanted too, but I knew it was too unrealistic to persue.