Forever

Will You Marry Me...To The End?

She always had faith in me. She always told me that I would make something of myself someday. We lived in New York. Allie at her job, and me at mine. We were inseperable again. Just like highschool. We saw each other everyday after work. Sometimes she just came over and worked on an article for her paper while I drew up some sketches for the next comic we were working on at Dark Horse.
I kept in touch with Ray, Matt and Mikey as much as I could. Sometimes they came to visit us here in New York. One weekend we all hung out. That Friday night we went to dinner and strolled around at some shops in the area. Saturday we went to see the Statue of Liberty. We took lots of pictures. Some serious, some goofy. There is this one picture that I love. Allie is standing next to me, pointing at me with this look on her face like 'can you believe this guy?'. I am pointing back at her with the same look on my face, like 'can you believe her?'. There is another one also that I like. One that I took with my arm raised above the two of us. I have my other arm wrapped around her waist and her arms are on top of mine. We are sticking our tongues out at the camera. We do have good photos of the simple smile as well, but the silly ones make me laugh.

I remember that weekend before the guys left, I told them that I was going to propose to her and I showed them the ring that I picked out. It was a small diamond, nothing big and gawky, nor tiny either. Just enough to be seen on her finger, to let every man know she was taken.
On the inside I had something engraved. It said, You are my star, I love you.
The next weekend was when I was going to ask her. We went back home to New Jersey to see family and friends. I planned a nice dinner out at our favorite Italian resteraunt that we always went to since we were kids. After dinner we walked along the boardwalk. It was August, so the weather was warm, but cool along the beach. We took our shoes off and walked along the beach for awhile. It was faintly lit by the lights up on the boardwalk. I was so nervous, but I knew I could do this. I knew it was right. I tried rehearsing a speech at home in the mirror. I just felt stupid and decided that I would wing it.
As we walked along the shore the wind blew through our hair lightly. I stopped. She stopped and looked at me surprised.

"Why are we stopping?" she questioned me.

"Alli...," I cleared my throat. "We have known each other for so long, been through so much together, " I got down on one knee and looked up at her. She looked down at me. I could tell by her expression that she knew what I was about to ask.
"You have believed in me every step of the way, since day one. You have always been there for me. I always liked you growing up, but the day you handed me that paper of my drawing of you, that had been torn to pieces, but taped back up..the way you looked at me, knowing that my drawing meant a lot to you as much as it did to me, I knew from that day..that I was falling in love with you. On prom night, I knew that I was in love with you and that very night I knew I wanted to marry you someday. Allie, " I looked into her eyes, tears now streaming down her cheeks. "will you marry me?" I asked as I opened the little black felt box.
She looked at the ring and smiled.

"Yes, yes of course, yes!" she said tears now flowing rapidly. I took the ring out of the box and placed it on her finger. I stood up and kissed her. I closed my eyes and kissed her, feeling my heart flutter. We wrapped in each others arms. My eyes filled up. I looked up at the moon and then felt one tear creep out of the corner of my eye and roll down my cheek. THIS, was the best night of my life. Bigger than the day we layed in the grass next to each other looking into the sky when we were nine, laughing until it stung. It was better than the day I winked at Josh Ludo, walking out of the school with the best girl in the school on my arm. I felt this very night that my life was complete. I had the job that I always wanted, I had the girl that I always wanted. Could you tell me? Could it be any better than this? I felt complete, everything was perfect.