I'll miss you.

The beginning of the end.

Will, Mike, and Frank were getting ready for their next gig in Oakland. Jennifer and Emily were in Berkley shopping until they had to meet the guys at the club. The guys have been in a band together since they were in their teens. The band was called Sweet Children. Emily, Jennifer, Mike, Frank, and Will were all best friends for the majority of their lives.

They arrived at Gilman Street and were setting up Frank’s drums.
“Guy’s, good luck!” Jennifer said as she gave each a kiss on the cheek and a firm hug.
“Ditto, and we’ll be in the front waiting for you. Of course, we’re going to rock out for you, you know!” Emily said as she started to bang her head. Everyone was laughing but Will.
“Will, what’s wrong?” Frank said as he patted Will’s back.
“ Nothing, I can’t believe we finally got a gig at Gilman,” he said as he looked around. He hadn’t noticed Frank was staring at Jennifer.

Jenn and Emily walked to the front of the stage and looked around. “Could you imagine playing for 10,000 people almost every night?” Jenn said as she picked up Franks drumsticks and struck a beat. Emily picked up Will’s guitar and strummed some chords.
“Not really, I personally wouldn’t be able to handle it.” Emily said as she saw Frank’s head in between the curtains. He was watching Jenn with a smile on his face.

“I don’t know if I could either” Jenn said as she started to play one of Sweet Children’s songs.
“I think you could.” Frank said as he walked through the curtain, “Come on, you’re strong-willed and you have a great heart.” Jenn turned away and blushed. She always liked Frank, he was different from other guys.

The concert was over and it was time to celebrate. They all went back to the five bedroom house they were renting. Mike called and ordered some pizza. They all had a glass of champagne and hung out for the rest of the night. Frank later pulled Jennifer aside and told her what he thought of her.

“Jenn you played very well today….” He paused as he thought of what he was saying. He wanted her to know how he felt so bad but, he didn’t want to be rejected. “Well…what I really wanted to say that I really like you, and I was just wondering if you liked me too?” He waited for a response. In his head he was thinking that he sounded childish and a girl like her could never fall for him. She was gorgeous and smart. He soon saw a smile spread across her face as she felt relieved.

“Of course I like you!” She said as she hugged him very tight.
“Then how would you feel about a date?” Frank insisted as he stared into Jenn’s shocking ocean blue eyes.
“How can I resist?” She said with a smirk.
“Let’s go!” Frank said as he grabbed her hand and led her to his SUV.
“Now? What…? Where?” She was confused as he replied,
“Shhhhhh…. You ask too many questions,” as he shut her door “I have something planned.” He looked to her and smiled as he drove out of the driveway and called Mike (they hadn’t told anybody they were leaving) to say they decided to go for a drive.

They stopped at a park and he opened her door. He then laid out a blanket and poured two glasses of wine as he once again found himself staring into her eyes. He asked her

“Jenn, Hun, what are you thinking?” Jenn was startled seeing as she was always the person asking this question, not the one being asked. She knew he was different… Sensitive even. She had never met a guy that treated her like he did, even if they had just decided to get up and drive off to the middle of no where for a date.

“Well, I just realized how perfect you were.” He softly kissed her on the lips and pulled away. She was the girl that he dreamt about being with, the girl that completed him.
“Frank… I love you.” Jenn said as she look up to him. She honestly did love him, though she knew he wouldn’t believe her. She waited for a response.
“No you don’t.” He smiled and kissed her once again. He grabbed her hand and helped her up as he folded the blanket, setting it into the back of the SUV.

They were driving down the highway. There was a loud bang and they both felt the car spin out of control. The next thing they knew, they were being pulled from the SUV by fire fighters. The last thing she heard was the words. Frank found out from a police officer that a drunk driver had ran a stop sign while getting onto the highway and hit Jenn’s side of the car.

“I’m afraid she might not make it.” the paramedic said as he wrapped a blanket around her. Frank tried not to break down as he called Mike, Emily, and Will to tell them to come meet him. He stroked the hair out of her face and dialed with his other hand, being sure to keep an eye on her. He felt responsible for what happened to his true love.

“Frank, did you see the accident on 54? Dude, it’s all over the news.” Mike said as he realized it was Frank on the phone.
“I know, just get here right now, it was Jenn and me in my SUV. And Jenn’s hurt… bad.” he said as he looked over to her.

“What the hell were you guys doing? We’ll be there in ten minutes.” Mike said in a worried tone. Frank hung up and thought about Mike’s question. What was he thinking? He didn’t care any more, he just wanted Jenn to be ok. Ten minutes had passed and everyone else had arrived but it was too late. The coroner was zipping up the well known black body bag. It seemed like a movie, so unreal. Emily ran up to the ambulance screaming and crying for her best friend to be ok. She ran into Will’s arms as Mike gave Frank a hug.

“I don’t… I can’t… She’s… gone…” Frank said as he looked at his friends.
“Frank, I know you’re blaming your self right now but don’t,” Will said looking into Frank’s eyes as they watered. He led Frank back to their car and got in. Frank was quiet and stared blankly out of the window. He was thinking about the girl that was so perfect yet fragile when it came to the inevitable. He had a broken heart that would never mend.
Three months have passed and Frank has yet to play music, laugh, or be the Frank that Jennifer knew. His personality totally changed as his heart had been violently ripped from his chest and destroyed with ever bit of pain that is imaginable. One day while at the house, Emily notices Frank sitting on the couch staring off into nowhere like he usually did since the accident.

“Hey, Frank!” Emily said as she sat next to him on the couch.
“Hi.” Frank replied in a small quiet voice.

She was tired of Frank walking around in a haze that nobody could break. Nobody could talk to him long enough to get a full conversation out of him. She decided to confront him.

“It’s been three months. You need to move on.” She couldn’t believe the words coming out of her mouth but, she knew it was true and it was about time somebody told him how it really was. We all loved her and miss her a lot. The band is suffering and we all miss the old Frank, the happy, funny, loud Frank,” Emily blurted out.

“Do you really think it’s as easy as that? Easy for me to forget her? Easy to play songs that she once loved? That Frank died along with Jenn that night. And I loved her.” he said as he buried his face in Emily’s shoulder.
“I know you did. We all did but, we moved on. You need to too.” She said as she looked at his tear stained face. She always knew what would make him happy, he just refused to do it. She then grabbed his hand and slowly led him to the basement where Sweet Children would practice. He looked at her and she nodded in approval. He then picked up his drumsticks and sat down.

“I can’t do this.” He said as he looked up almost with a hint of fear in his eyes.
“Yes, you can.” She smiled and left the room. At first he awkwardly stared at the drum set, not knowing what to play first or if he should even start playing again. He finally decided to play for the first time in three months, for four hours straight. He even wrote a song for her, I miss you. He was slowly starting to become Frank once again. Slowly over the next month his heart mended. Soon he found love but, never forgot Jenn.

R.I.P. Jenn, Franks’ true love.