Friendship Is Only As Real As You Make It

Friends Forever

Me and Robbie had always known we'd be good friends. Since the first day of high school when I'd complimented him on his Smashing Pumpkins shirt, we just knew that things would work out between the two of us.

And now, lying here in the grass at the park with him beside me, I sat up. He lazily opened one eye to look up at me, smiling slightly. That smile that I loved so much, the one I like to call my smile. It was one that I only ever saw him give to me.

"Hey Robbie.....we'll be best friends forever, right?" I asked, looking into those brilliant green eyes that always managed to captivate me.

He sat up, wiping the grass off himself before turning to look at me curiously. I watched him open his mouth, as if he was going to say something, before he closed it again. Just because of his silence, I was beginning to become a bit nervous, and started to fiddle with the sleeves of my hoodie. I felt his arms wrap around my waist, pulling me towards him.

"Of course we will, Sara. Why? Is something wrong?" he asked, looking down at me.

I shook my head, my auburn hair flying as I did so. When I looked up at him, he seemed a bit worried, instead of curious like he had been only moments before.

"No, of course not. I just...wanted to make sure. I'd hate to lose you, Robbie. I mean, you're my best friend."

He chuckled and laid his head on my shoulder. I could feel his warm breath against my neck, and just that was comforting. He knew just how to calm me down, no matter what the situation. That was one of the many things that I loved about Robbie.

"You know that it'll take a whole lot to get rid of me, silly."

"Yeah, of course. I just wanted to make sure, like I said before."

We sat there in silence for a few, with the last rays of sunlight shining down on us through the clouds. The scent of rain hung in the air, a warning to take shelter or risk getting wet. Even though the weatherman had said it wouldn't rain today, you could tell by looking at the clouds and just by smelling the air that it was going to. Besides, who ever believes the weatherman?

Robbie chuckled slightly and stood up, pulling me with him. I watched him grab his phone off the ground where it had fallen out of his pocket, checking to make sure my own was still safely in my own pocket. He held out his hand, which I then took and the two of us set off towards our houses. It was nice having your best friend live right across the street from you, but it could also be annoying sometimes.

We were crossing the street a block away from home when there was a loud
squeal and headlights came flying around the corner, quickly followed by a bright red car. There were only seconds to act before it hit us, though everything seemed to be in slow motion. I felt Robbie push me backwards, and then everything else seemed blurry. I saw the car collide with him, saw his body fly forward onto the top of the car. That is when it dawned on me.

My best friend had just been hit by a car because he pushed me out of the way.

I ran over to the car, my tears mixing with the rain that had begun falling only minutes before. The driver had already gotten out of the car and was freaking out about his cracked windshield. How inconsiderate of him, honestly. He had just run somebody over and he was more worried about his damn car. I quickly pulled out my cell phone and dialed 911, telling them where we were and everything. Then I called my parents and Robbie's, letting them know what happened, as much as it pained me to repeat it. Repeating it made it all the more real.

Once I hung up with his parents, I gently grabbed his hand, squeezing it slightly. "Don't you dare leave me Robert Michael Elliott! The ambulance is on its way, I can hear the sirens already. Just hang in there, please," I cried, ignoring the frantic cries of the driver.

When the ambulance came, they made me let go long enough to put him on the stretcher and load him into the ambulance. Both my parents and Robbie's were watching as the cops talked to the driver about what had happened. When they tried to talk to me, I couldn't say anything. I was still in shock of having seen my best friend get hit by a car.

Robbie's mother, Alice, got in the ambulance, waving for me to come with. I nodded and told my parents I'd see them at the hospital. The whole way there, I held one of his hands and cried. I cried and cried and cried, until I could cry no more.

After the first few days, I lost track of time. Every day was just sleep, eat, watch Robbie, and then sleep some more. Until one day, his hand gripped mine tighter. I nearly squealed in surprise, as I had just been slipping into sleep again.

"Oh my god, Robbie!"

He winced at the loud tone of my voice, but opened his eyes and smiled at me. Those lovely green eyes that I had waited...a week to see. Yes, a whole week of not going anywhere but to get some food and go to the bathroom. Some would call it pathetic, but not I.

"I-I told you we'd be friends forever, Sara. I couldn't leave you...not like that."

Just when I thought I could cry no more, the tears began flowing. Except this time, they were tears of joy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Total surprise, no? I bet you all thought it was gonna have a sad ending. As if. I have enough of those.