Friendship Is Only As Real As You Make It

Emerald and Jade

It's been a week since Robbie got hit by that car. He's out of the hospital and doing just fine now, give or take a few cuts and bruises here and there still. But that's to be expected when you get hit by a car. It's definitely safe to say that we are more carfeul when we go walking places now though.

Sitting here in the park again, I can't help but think about what happened last week when we left here. We'd come the past 3 days without any problems, but that still doesn't keep me from worrying. Just because nothing has happened yet, doesn't mean it won't. But then again, I'm just being pessimistic.

As if he could feel the mixed emotions coming from me, Robbie reached over and pulled me closer to him under the shade of the huge oak tree. The sun was fighting its way through the branches, trying to shed some light on us, but not a whole lot of it was getting through. Of course, that didn't bother me at all, since I hate having the sun in my eyes anyway.

"Sara?" he asked quietly.

"Mmm? What is it Robbie?"

"Is everything alright? You seem kind of upset about something."

"Oh....it's nothing, really. I just can't stop thinking about last week. But I'll stop now, I promise."

He chuckled quietly and turned on his side so that he was facing me, using his arm as a pillow. Those bright green eyes seemed to peirce through me, as if he were attempting to read my thoughts. As unrealistic as that was, I couldn't help but think that's what he was doing.

I let out a quiet sigh, closing my eyes so I wouldn't have to see him staring. I hated being stared at, and he knew that. Of course, I knew that he wasn't one that was easily made to leave someone alone, especially if that someone was me. A gentle pull of my bangs made it obvious he wanted my attention. Opening one eye, I looked over at him lazily.

"Yes?"

"I just wanted to make sure you weren't going to sleep on me," he said with that boyish grin of his. That heart-stopping, boyish grin.

"Ohh...so that means you had to pull my hair?"

"Yup!"

"Whatever," I said, closing my eyes and rolling onto my back.

Seconds later, I was rolling around and attempting to get away from him. But that was easier said than done since he was sitting on top of me and tickling me. Normally, being tickled like this didn't make it hard to breath. However, when your 125 lb. best friend is sitting on top of you, while tickling you, thats a whole different story.

After about five minutes, he got off of me and helped me sit up. It took me a few seconds to regain the air that I so desperately needed, but once I did, I was fine. Sighing, I laid my head on his shoulder and poked him in the side.

"That wasn't very nice Robbie, really."

He smiled down at me, twirling a strand of my auburn hair on his finger. Since he'd gotten out of the hospital, he'd taken to playing with my hair more often, saying he loved the way it fell through his fingers like silk. I looked up at him, my jade green eyes gazing into his bright, emerald green ones. It was moments like this, just the two of us sitting here enjoying each others company, that I loved the most.

A ball hitting the tree behind our heads, made us both jump. Unfortunately, I also squealed. Dave, one of friends from school came over and picked up the ball. He looked down at the two of us, and I swear I saw a hint of a smile on his face as he looked back at the others.

"Hey you two. You wanna come play soccer with us?"

I looked at Robbie, who shrugged, leaving the decision in my hands. There wasn't much else for us to do here, besides scare the younger kids playing on the playground, and we had already done plenty of that earlier in the day. Smiling, I pulled myself up off the ground and held my hand out for him.

"Sure, why not. We don't have anything else to do."

"Cool. Robbie, you're on my team. Sara, you're on Matt's. Prepare to lose though, babe."

I raised an eyebrow and looked at him before chuckling. He really didn't know who he was messing with.

"Alright Mister Hotshot. Bring it on."

30 minutes later, and I think it was pretty safe to say that Dave was regretting what he said earlier. We were ahead by 6 points, and the sun was almost completely gone. Running with the ball down the field, I passed it to Matt, who passed it back to me. I started lining up my shot when Robbie came running towards me. I spun around with my back to him, blocking the ball so he couldn't get it. Of course, that means I got knocked onto the ground with him on top of me. The ball went flying towards Dave, who was too busy laughing at the two of us to see Matt coming at him until he himself was on the ground too.

From then on, everybody was pretty much just trying to knock down everyone else and be the last one standing. It was quite the show, and a bunch of little kids were standing around on the playground and watching. Eventually though, Kelsey wound up being the last one standing. Until all of us dog-piled her that is.

We all laughed and tried to pull ourselves out of the pile after about 5 minutes of being smothered by the others on top of us. I slowly started walking home, not really caring if I left Robbie behind because I was that tired. That thought changed as soon as my feet left the ground.

"Ah!!! Put me down! Fire! Fire! Put me down!"

I was put down alright. I got dropped on my ass in the dirt, by none other than Robbie and Dave. The two of them high-fived each other before helping me up. I sighed, dusting myself off and shaking my head at their childish behavior.

"You two are impossible, honestly. I'm going home now, if you don't mind," I said a bit grumpily. I don't like being dropped on my ass, especially not in the dirt.

Robbie probably realized this and hurried after me, wrapping his arms around my waist and keeping me from going any farther. I sighed, knowing that it would be impossible to get away from him at this rate. So, I just let myself relax in his arms. He smiled and kissed my cheek, turning me to face him.

"Sorry Sara, I couldn't resist though. Especially since you just like, ditched me," he said.

I shrugged, which was pretty much my way of saying that it was fine. I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his shoulder. Tired was an understatement altogether about how I felt right now. About to drop dead was more like it.

"You wanna stay over tonight Robbie?" I asked.

He smiled and nodded. I figured he'd say yes, he usually did.

"I'd just have to run and grab some clothes and stuff from home quickly," he said.

"Okay, well, the quicker we get home the quicker we can pop in a movie or something."

We hurried home and he ran across the street while I popped in one of my favorite movies ever, The Notebook. When he came back, I already had some pop out on the table and the lights off in my room. Movies were always best watched in my room, since one never knew when my parents or brother would come running into the living room for something. Not that we did anything wrong, it just got annoying after a while to have people running in front of the television while you're trying to watch a movie.

Yea, I was already tired when we started watching the movie, but the fact that the beginning was pretty dull made me even more tired. I curled up against Robbie, who had his arm around my shoulder and was playing with a small chunk of my hair again. I stiffled a yawn and closed my eyes, deciding to hell with the movie and that I was going to sleep.

The last thing I heard before I actually fell asleep though, wasn't from the movie. It was something that I'd never heard in my life, at least not from Robbie. Actually, I had never thought I'd hear him say it. Because to be honest, the only place I'd ever heard it was in my dreams. But I was awake enough to know that I had heard him correctly.

"I love you Sara Haylee Evans."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, it's cheesy and romantic, but hey, it's better than nothing, right?
Anyone want me to continue this?