Camp of the Living Dead

Expectations

"I remember the first day I saw the Hope Walloway Camp. It was nothing like I expected. My parents had told me that I would just be going to a regular camp that summer. That's all. They told me I needed certain experiences in my life and that maybe this could somehow help all of us.

I thought that was a bunch of bullshit. But, with no idea of what they were up to, I got into our little Ford car and watched as the only home I had ever know disappeared behind buildings and factories while we drove out of the city.

At one point during the four hour drive they had handed me a pamphlet for the camp. As I flipped through the pages, disgusted, a small knot had formed itself in the bottom of my stomache.

I didn't want to spend my summer with these sick freaks. I just wanted to sit at home and wallow in self pity.

I had imagined the whole scenario in my head of what would happen when we got there.

We would pull up and it would be raining. Of course, it had to be raining. Everything would be gray. When we parked swarms of 'Camp Counselors' would run up to us with their fake smiles and ask to help in what ever way they could.

They would always be smiling. No matter how mean you were to them, they were always smiling and never said a thing back to you. Why? Because you were frickin' special. That's why.

People had treated me like that for my whole life up 'til then, but I suppose it was somehow my fault because I had let them. I hated it, but I had let them.

I had not pictured the sun falling graciously on the lush green forest surrounding several log cabins enclosed in a feeble wooden fence.

I heard voices far away but had yet to see anyone. My parents had parked the car at the fence 'gate'. I swear I had absolutely no idea why the fence was there. A blind kitten could have protected the camp better then that fence.

I also had no idea that that particular fence would forever hold a sincere place in my heart.

Anyway, much to my dismay, the only person that had come out to greet us was no counselor. And she was in no way even trying to smile.

Plus, she had looked about 5,000 pounds overweight to me then.

I clearly remember thinking they had sent me to the wrong camp. But oh how wrong I was.."