Status: Away on Study Leave...be back soon!

Wheel Love

Two

“Ashley? I thought I could turn to you on this! I have no idea what to wear tonight! Should I wear my denim mini? Or my skinny jeans? Either way they show off my legs, which by the way look great, but I don’t want to emphasise my legs if he can’t use his!”

Steph was getting ready to head out with Jared (much to my objection) and was jabbering to me on the phone about how they were going to go see a movie and how she had no idea what to wear. Her sense of logic was surprisingly fair (about the whole leg thing) but I really couldn’t care less.

“ I dunno Steph! Just cut off your bloody legs then you will be even! And I would go for the skinnies.”

I only tacked on that part at the end because I didn’t want to hurt her feelings, I mean, Steph could be annoying but she was my best friend.

“You’re right, the skinnes aren’t so slutty. Ash, I thought you were all for the whole “going out with a guy in a wheelchair “thing. Why are you making this so hard for me?”

I did feel bad, as I was being hypocritical to be so mean to her after I had a go at Michelle those weeks back. It’s just…Jared is an ass! He is so up himself and in the past three weeks every single guy and girl has radiated towards him and he’s so…arrogant because of it!

“Look Steph, it’s not because he is in a wheelchair that I don’t want you going out with him, it’s because he is a dick! If he were any other guy I would still be saying the same thing to you! Jared Rowlands is bad news!”

“Whatever, I have to go, my ride is here.”

With that she was gone.
I sighed inwardly and tried once more to understand her psyche. How could she like him?

He is smart, not that she cares about brains anyway. He is cute, okay yeah, she would care about that. But other than those two things I couldn’t wrap my mind around why she would even take a chance on a guy like Jared.

He has the entire school wrapped around his little finger and it is so frustrating! Just the other day, I saw him and Amy Johnston taking a “joy-ride” in his chair. She was sitting in his lap for goodness sake! And Amy Johnston is one of the most superficial cows in the entire school. The only goal she has in life is to marry young, to some rich old guy and be crowned homecoming queen. How could he end up with someone like her in his lap?

I shook my head and tried to think of something else. It was getting dark outside so I pulled my window shut and drew the curtains closed. I picked up the phone and decided to return it to its cradle downstairs.

Sounds of laughter and the smell of roasted chicken greeted me as I got to the bottom of the stairs. My parents were sitting at the dining table with Reggie and they were already eating dinner. I swallowed the familiar lump of disappointment that rose in my throat and strode through the kitchen.

“Why didn’t you call me for tea?” I asked,

“I didn’t know you were hungry. You should have said.” answered Mom, never once taking her eyes off Reggie.

He was sitting there rolling his eyes crazily and slopping the food Mom was spoon feeding him down his shirt. It was disgusting.

“Is there anything left for me?” I asked, this time directing the question at Dad.

“Hmm, I dunno. Have a look,” was all I got for my answer.

That may have sounded like I was exaggerating my parents. But I assure you, I’m not. Everything I just said happened exactly like that. Oh, and no there wasn’t anything left for me to eat. I made myself some noodles and returned to my cold room to eat, being farewelled only by Reggie’s inconsistent moan.

*

“Ashley get up, we are going to have visitors today and I need you to be presentable,” called Mom from my doorway.

Why she couldn’t just come into my room and wake me gently was beyond me, so I just got up and started to dig through my drawers for something “Acceptable” to wear.

I was feeling beyond frustrated with my parents because of last night’s dinner fiasco so I wasn’t going to resign easily. Striding over to my stereo I spun in my “Escape The Fate” C.D. and cranked it up.

Deal with that Mother.

“Turn it down Ashley!”

I sighed and did as I was bid. I don’t own a rebellious bone in my body and I’m so ashamed of it.

Looking at the clock I realised that I had actually slept in late. It was four p.m. on Saturday afternoon already and I couldn’t believe it. Where did my Friday night go?

I heard the familiar “ding-dong” of the front door, followed by Reggie’s just as familiar excited squeals. He loves visitors.
“Mom really cut it late on waking me up, she should have come in like half an hour ago!” I thought to myself as I pulled on my pants.
“Great, now I cant find a shirt!” I said to myself, this time aloud.

Ten minutes later I was dressed and not-so blurry eyed. I had thrown my hair into a messy bun, trying to pull off the “I didn’t really try” look, and succeeding. I was quite pleased with my progress so I had light steps as I flounced downstairs. I froze when I realized who the visitors were.

Standing in the living room were Mr and Mrs Rowland and, of course, their son Jared.
Hoping I hadn’t made eye contact with him I turned swiftly on my heel to dash back upstairs and to hide under my bed. Maybe the parentals will conveniently forget I exist?

“Ashley? Was that you love?”

Dang. I’ve been ratted out. (Oh and note the use of “love” when my mother was addressing me? Yeah she only ever does that if we have guests)

“Yeah, its me. Um, I’ll be right back, I uh, never mind.” I sighed at the end.

Conceding defeat I trudged downstairs. Curse you fate.

“Ashley, I would like you to meet my new work friend Julie and her husband Jonathan.”

I shook hands with them each in turn, Julie seemed nice, she smelled floral and looked timid, (why on earth would she be friends with my Nazi of a mother?) Jonathan contrasted his wife…perfectly. Where she was fair and light eyed he was tanned with brilliant dark eyes. Like a Grecian god of sorts. I supposed that was where Jared got his looks from.

“This is their son Jared. He is your age, isn’t that right?” my Mother asked politely looking at Jared.

I didn’t miss the note of condescension that she used in her tone when she spoke to him. She must get it from her interactions with Reggie.
At any rate when I saw a flash of hurt across Jared’s face I was aware of the fact that he didn’t miss it either.
He must have shaken it off though because he simply looked back at her, flashing a dazzling smile and replied,

“Yes that is correct Mrs Jenkins. Ashley and I have never formally met though,”

My mother looked pointedly at me and I guessed why she was looking at me that way too. She wanted me to shake his hand.

I stepped over to him and grasped his hand, hoping to “get it over with” as soon as possible. I found that his hand was…tougher than I had expected.
He had warm hands though and I was glad that mine weren’t doing their signature “sweat” move. That would make me die of embarrassment.

I looked at him as I withdrew my hand and he threw me that quick little wink.

I felt myself blushing again and left the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is chapter two, let me know what you think!