To Love Again

New Start

"Renemsee, hurry up. You don't want to be late." I heard her grunt in distaste upstairs.

Ok, ok, I am coming. She told me through her thought's. I heard her light foot steps skip down the stairs with Alice following close behind.

"I hate this jacket Alice." She sighed.

"You look beautiful, sweetie, as always." I told her as I kissed her on the head. "Now come on." I prompted. Rose, Jasper and Emmett had already left. Today we were starting a new school in a new place. Wow, this was going to be painful. Renesmee smiled at me as she opened the door to leave, I followed her down the steps to the car. She was so much like her mother, Bella. Her face just flooded back so many memories for me. Today I was going to have to start again without her by my side, just like I have done for the past twelve years. I think Renesmee is the only thing keeping me alive. Of course she blamed herself for Bella dying but it wasn't hers it was mine. I could have saved her, if I had injected the venom sooner, she would be in this car with me now, driving to a new school with a bright smile on her face. But I can't regret ever meeting her, obviously her life would have been a lot better if I had stayed away but if I had I wouldn't have Renesmee.

We pulled into the parking lot of the new school. It was empty, probably because we were here early. "So much for being late." Renesmee rolled her eye's as she looked around.

"Do you remember everything?" I asked.

"Yes dad, or Edward as I have to call you. You are my brother and all the rest were adopted. I got it. It is going to be really weird calling you my brother." I had to agree with her there but it had to be done. People would probably suspect we were twins because we are both in the same class. Alice agreed to be the odd one with no biological brothers and sisters. I couldn't say she was mine because Renesmee looked more like me and then we would have to say we were triplets. It had been like that ever since Renesmee started going to school five years ago. She had come to full maturity in six years, she wasn't going to mature anymore. She would pass for nineteen but we were going to keep her seventeen. That way, we can stay here longer.

I saw Rose's new blue convertible next to my Volvo, obviously I had to upgrade but I couldn't get rid of a Volvo. We got out and she handed us our class schedules. "I picked them up at the office." She smiled.

"Thanks." We all replied.

"I am in two of your classes dad. Math and History." She said investigating my sheet.

"Great, I can keep an eye on you." I said nudging her playfully.

"Dad, you can read my mind. You will constantly be checking in. Just like you always do when Jake is around." She was right, I couldn't leave them alone for too long. Jake was her boyfriend and her mother's best friend. Up until he saw her he had wanted to kill her but then he imprinted on my little Nessie. There wasn't much I could do to stop it and she could have met worse, there was just times when I wished I couldn't read minds. Especially, the mind of the guy who is dating my daughter. He is moving here in a couple of weeks so at least Renesmee will be happier with him here.

The car park finally started filling and we walked inside. Rose, Emmett and Jasper went to their classes and Alice, Renesmee and I went to math. Great, another lesson I have sat hundreds of times.

"Could you leave me go, please?" I heard a sweet voice whisper. I turned my head to see a girl with pain written in her eye's. Her dark blue eye's were swimming with tears. They were an unusual colour blue, eye's you could very easily get lost in. Her dark brown hair fell loosely down her back and was cut into layers that fell onto her face. Her full lips were trembling with what seemed like fear and pain.

"Oh sorry, I never realized." My head shot to the tall guy standing in front of her. She shivered as he loosened his grip around her waist. She really needs to toughen up. I didn't kick her that hard. I heard a growl erupt in my throat, but it was low, nobody else could have heard it. How could he hurt her like that? Why would anyone hurt something so beautiful. I froze realizing I had just called her beautiful. I shook my head trying to get rid of the images of her face. I can't call her things like that, she is just another girl in another school. She is nothing. "See you at lunch." I heard him say. I couldn't help but look at her. Her face looked like it had turned to stone as she watched him walk away. I needed to know why she was staying with him. I stared at her and concentrated on her thoughts. Blank. That could not be right. I closed my eye's and tried even harder but there was nothing. She turned to wipe her tears. All I could no was stare at her porcelain-like face. There must be something wrong with me.

"Edward, are you ok?" Alice asked watching my expression. I couldn't keep my eye's off of her and she was staring back at me. I just wanted to take away her pain but I couldn't. I could never do that to anyone ever again. It isn't fair on them and I could never do something like that to Bella. She was everything to me and I ruined her. "Edward?" I heard Alice call me. "What is wrong?" I looked at her and saw that she was now following my gaze to where the girl was. It had finally hit me, the full impact of me not being able to read her thought's. I just nodded my head in disbelief.

"Dad, please." Renesmee pleaded. I swallowed hard before I opened my mouth.

"I can't read her mind." I whispered. Then Alice gripped my hand in shock. She knew what that meant too. She knew the only person's mind I could not read was Bella's. If my heart was beating I was sure it would have burst out of my chest. Carlisle's very words replayed in my mind.

"Maybe, when you find someone you are suppose to be with, someone who needs you, you are not suppose to be able to read their mind."

"Oh, God, Edward." She breathed as she stared at me with wide eye's. Then, her face turned blank and I had a feeling that this was one vision I did not want to see.