You're a Ghost, So Why Can I See You?

Ghost? What?

“Haha,” I said. “Nice try though, you almost had me there for a second.”

Hey, at least he tried to make a joke, a bad one, but it was an attempt. I mean, come on. Ian, a ghost? That’s not even possible. Ghosts are supposed to be invisible, scary, and mean, not attractive, sweet, and charming.

“Peyton,” Ian said more serious than I had ever heard him before, “I’m not lying to you. I told you this because I like you.” He paused. “I like you a lot. And I want to be completely honest with you. I am a ghost.”

My humorous side sizzled away. “Ian, quit it already, I’m not that dumb.”

“I’m telling you the truth!”

I rolled my eyes and stood up. “I came out here for some peace, and I was happy when I saw that you were here, but now not so much. I’ll see you later I guess.” I waved a short “bye” then hastily started walking away. I was in such a good mood earlier too. I suppose that’s the down side of being attractive, sweet, and charming – you’re a nut case.

“Peyton!” Ian yelled after me. “Peyton, please stop and look at me.”

I stopped, groaned, and looked up at the stars. “What?!”

“You don’t believe me?” Surprisingly, it was a question.

I whipped around and glared at him. “No!”

He ran a hand through his hair and looked straight into my eyes. “Then why are you so mad?”

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. “Because!” I shouted. I almost got raped by my father, not for the first time either, have a stinky job, got felt up at my job by some perverted guy, have the Ethan thing to deal with, and oh, yeah, I almost forgot, the double date thing is tomorrow. Bumping into Ian was pretty much the only good thing I looked forward to, and now, he tells me he’s a fucking ghost. Excuse me if I’m a little mad!

“I wouldn’t lie to you…” Ian said softly, walking towards me. His skin glowed in the moonlight and he actually did look somewhat ghostly, and strangely that’s the best way to describe him: ghostly. He always had that odd air about him, like he knew something everyone else didn’t, but he never let that change him into a stuck-up snob. I guess he did know something that everyone else didn’t though…

NO! What am I thinking? Ian is nota ghost! He can’t be!

Involuntary tears sprung to my eyes. I would not fall for a ghost. I refuse!

“Out of all the people this crap could have happened to,” I said surprisingly calm, but crying, “why me? Why me, Ian? Why?!” He shrugged and walked all the way towards me, now only two feet away.

He reached out for me unconsciously, making my heart jump, but then quickly pulled back. “I can’t explain it…” he said unsurely. “You’re so smart, kind, and beautiful. It’s such a rare combination to find.”

My eyes narrowed. “So you like me because I’m a rare object that you can show around to all your friends?” I knew he didn’t mean it like that, but still. I felt like screaming or throwing something across the field.

“No!” he answered quickly. “Peyton, I like you because of who you are. That first time, in Subway, when you glared at me right when I walked through the door, I knew there was something about you. I felt something when I looked at you, like something just clicked. Every bone in my body was, and is, telling me that you are the one, that I want you, and that I need you.”

I never expected this.

How can I not be mad at him?! He just ruined my “supposed to be” peaceful night…but now it doesn’t seem as bad. Ian thinks I’m the one? Ha! I’m no one’s “one”, because no one is my “one”. I’ve never felt that tug for anyone, I’ve never gotten the jitters of just being around someone, and I’ve never felt that spark…

That’s a lie. And I know it.

The tears sprung out of my eyes faster than ever before as I fell the ground on my knees. “Why does it have to be like this?” I asked more to myself than Ian. “Why do you have to be a ghost? Why can’t you just be normal? Like me?”

Ian dropped to his knees in front of me and looked me in the eyes. His brown eyes looked like they were searching my soul, against his tan skin. “This doesn’t have to be complicated,” he said softly.

“But it is!” I practically yelled at him. “You’re a ghost, Ian! I’m a human! We can’t… It’s not even possible for us to be…together. It’s impossible.”

“Nothing is impossible, Peyton. And who says we can’t be together?”

“There doesn’t have to be anyone who says it!” I cried. “It’s like the laws of gravity and stuff.”

Ian reached forward and took my hands in his. “The laws of gravity can be defied.”

I shook my head. He was right though. “Ian, it would never work. I mean, can other people even see you?”

Ian looked down at the grass. “Uh, no, not yet anyways.”

“What?” I asked, frowning.

He looked back up at me. “They…could.”

“How?” Why was he being so slow?

He shook his head. “It doesn’t matter right now. I’ll tell you later. Right now, at hand, what is important is that you and I are here alone under the beautiful stars at night, and you’re crying.”

I wiped away my tears with a hand. “I am not!”

Ian smiled and tightened his grip on my hands, then pulled me into him and we fell back against the grass. I scooted around a little bit until I was comfortable. My head was rested a little above Ian’s heart, and my left arm settled on his stomach. Ian hesitated, but eventually wrapped his arms around me tightly, and I never wanted him to let go. I was almost happy again to the point where I was earlier…

“Ian,” I said quietly. “Why are you so cold all the time?”

He sighed. “It’s a ghost thing.”

I scooted back a little so I could rest my head on his arm, and then stared at him. I had this weird feeling in my stomach, heart, and head. I felt like I wanted to say something to him, something along the lines of “I love you” but I wasn’t in love with him so I couldn’t’ say it.

“Ian,” I whispered.

He raised his eyebrows at me.

I smiled. “I just felt like saying it.”

Then Ian smiled to, making me forget all the coldness from his body and even the fact that he was a ghost. I was warm, happy, and… well, I’m not sure what that other feeling was. But it was something good. Something really good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, or subscribes! I really appreciate it!!!