You're a Ghost, So Why Can I See You?

Farewell

It seemed like hours passed before Ian finally finished talking about Amy, Cale, and how other ghosts killed themselves when the human they loved didn’t love them in return. Apparently, that was what was going on right now. The humans could see the ghosts because they were “soul mates” and meant to be together. But…I’m still having a little trouble believing that. Why would God, if he did exist, make ghosts and humans soul mates?

But I’m sort of glad he did.

Ian was probably one of the best things that had ever happened to me. He made me happy, and that was something that didn’t happen often. He made me laugh and smile, something I desperately needed. Everyone was always saying how I needed to smile more, needed to be more open, and now…I think I’m getting there. Thanks to Ian.

“But this is a little different,” Ian said slowly. “With Cale and the others, other humans could see the ghosts once the human fell completely in love with them.”

I felt the heat rush to my cheeks. I wasn’t in love with Ian. “Ian,” I said in a dry tone, but also perplexed. How could I say this without hurting the guy’s feelings? “I’m not-”

“I know,” he interrupted, not looking me in the eyes. Hurt, sadness, and pain was all mixed into those two tiny words. “And I don’t expect you to either.”

I frowned. “What? Why not?”

What the hell was he saying?! He wasn’t expecting me to fall in love with him? True, I wasn’t in love with him now, but I was starting to. There was no denying that I had feelings for Ian. He was the sweetest, nicest, most amazing guy I’ve ever known. The first time I saw him there was this spark of electricity…There was something there. No, I wasn’t in love with Ian, but I was falling fast.

“You’re too smart, Peyton.” Ian stopped walking and looked away from me and out into the darkness. “You’re too smart to…love a ghost.” He whispered the last part, sending sharp stabs of pain through me.

He didn’t think I could love him! He didn’t think I ever would. Was it because I never pointblank told him my true feelings for him? Was it because I chose to scream in the janitor’s closet instead of kiss him? I wanted to kiss him! Believe me, I really, really did.

“Ian.” I hesitantly reached out and touched his shoulder. It was cold and stiff. I almost felt like crying.

“After all,” Ian continued in a sad voice. “Why would you pick me? Why would you want a cold, lifeless ghost when you could have a warm and comforting human? I’m a fool to think I had a chance.”

“Ian!” I blew quick air out of my nostrils and grasped Ian’s shoulder harder, making him look at me. His eyes were pained and stressed, and it was all my fault. But he had to remember the reason we were out here. “Ian, people didsee you though. Remember? Something’s happening to you.”

The pain disappeared from his eyes. “I know. I’ve never heard of anything like this happening before… But I might be able to figure out what is going on though. It’ll take me a little while, but I know of some people and places where I could get some information. I have a theory, it’s sort of like evolution and adapting, but I have nothing to base it on.” He paused. “No. Never mind. It’d just be a waste of time.”

My eyes were wide open. “What?! Why? It won’t be a waste of time if you figure out what’s going on. It wouldn’t be a waste if you found out a way…if we found out a way to…” I wanted to say “to be together”, but I didn’t. Something was keeping me from saying it.

Ian sighed. “Yeah, but it’d be a waste if I came back and you were with someone, say, Ethan, and you never wanted to see me again. I don’t want to lose you.” Ian lifted his hand and gently cupped the side of my face.

And again, I blushed, trying to look away so he wouldn’t see. “Ian, you won’t lose me,” I mumbled.

He smiled lightly at me and tilted his head to the side, making him look completely adorable. “How can you be so sure? Your Prince Charming may ride up and sweep you off your feet the minute I leave. I don’t think I’m ready to take that chance.”

“That won’t happen.”

“How can you be so sure?”

I held my breath and said the first thing that came to my mind. “Because he’s already found me.”

Ian grinned and leaned down slowly. His other hand found its way to my waist and pulled me into him. I’m sure my face was beat red as I leaned in too, but I didn’t care. Our lips were only inches apart. I could smell his sweet peppermint breath on my lips, and ever so slowly… my eyes closed.

HOOOOONNNNKK!!!!

Ian and I quickly jumped away from each other. My heart was racing from not only the loud car honking at us, but also at the fact that Ian and I almost kissed. AGAIN! I looked smiling at Ian, and the minute our eyes met, we started cracking up laughing. I almost peed my pants that car scared me so bad.

Ian’s POV

I watched as Peyton’s beautiful eyes filled with tears from laughing so hard. I was laughing too, of course, but I didn’t think it was that funny. Hey, even now that I think about it, I was a little bit annoyed by that car. I was so close. AGAIN! My lips yearned to feel hers, and my heart was practically ripping its way out of my chest. I wanted to feel her lips on mine, I wanted to entwine my fingers with hers, I wanted to feel her soft brown hair in my hands, and I wanted to touch her smooth cheeks. I wanted to hold her close to me and never let go. I felt like screaming I wanted it so bad.

But what if I scared her? I’ve placed my feelings pretty much out there in the open, but I wasn’t sure if Peyton had either. I’ve never told her directly how I felt, but she knew, right? She had to know how jealous she made me when she smiled at Ethan, or even when he talked to her. I wouldn’t be able to handle it if she chose me over Ethan…

That’s why I hadto go. I had to go see the council. Perhaps they would have another explanation as to what was happening to me – why people could randomly see me. I needed help as to what to do. There had to be a way for Peyton and me to be together. I know you’re probably thinking “But people could only see Cale once Amy truly loved him.” Well, that’s true, but this wasn’t like that time… There was a strong feeling in my gut that it wasn’t going to be like that.

But if it’s what I think it is, maybe it won’t be that bad… I needed to talk to someone about this. I needed to tell someone about my feelings, about Peyton, about everything! But someone who would understand. Someone who had gone through this before. I needed advice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Five days, I know! I just wasn't in the mood to write, sorry, but I finally squeezed out this chapter. I hope you like that certain part with Ian and Peyton near the end. "Because he's already found me." Lol I was like "Awwwwww!"

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, or subscribes! I really appreciate it!!!