You're a Ghost, So Why Can I See You?

Just A Day

I watched the clock tick down slowly as Marie leaned on the counter, studying her nails, behind me. It was seven o’clock and we were stuck here at Subway until eight. I was exhausted and stressed and was dying for a shower. Today had been a pretty busy day. Apparently the whole freshman class decided to come to Subway for dinner. Why? I have no fucking idea, but it pissed me off.

Well, actually, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I was just stressed out to wits end and the loud, obnoxious kids didn’t help one bit.

Ian was nowhere to be seen Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, and today was Wednesday. I had no idea when he would be back or if he even would come back. What if he found some beautiful ghost girl wherever he was? What if they hit it off and he forgot about me?

My nose started to burn as I thought about it. Ian talked to me about how easy it would be for me to be with another human, so it could be just the same for him. It’d be easier for him to be with another ghost. What if he decided that I wasn’t worth his time? Wow, so many “what if’s?”

“Peyton,” Marie said, scolding me. “Everything will be fine.”

I turned around and frowned at her. “But what if it’s not? Anything could happen, Marie. What if he doesn’t come back?” My heart rate increased at the thought, at the emotions I would feel. I was attached to Ian and I wasn’t ready to let go.

She let out a short laugh. “Oh, he’ll be back, believe me.”

“But how do you know?” I asked worried. There was no possible way she could know for sure.

“Peyton,” Marie said, smiling at me. “You worry too much. I know he’ll come back because how could he not? You’re a beautiful, smart, young woman. Any guy would be an idiot to let you go.”

My shoulders slugged and I looked at the floor. “I was hoping for some hard cold proof,” I mumbled.

“Sweetie.” Marie walked forward and grasped my shoulders in her hands, making me look at her. “How long have you known each other?”

I shrugged. “A few weeks.” Even though it felt like forever.

“And do you know of the magical thing that can happen in that amount of time?” She had a big, knowing smile on her face like she knew something I didn’t. Was there something I was missing?

I blinked. “Um…Should I?”

“Peyton!” Marie laughed at me. She let go of my shoulders and went back to leaning against the counter. “He’s a ghost and you are the only one that can see him. Did I already tell you that that was what happened with Amy and Cale? Amy was the only one who could see Cale, and why? Because she was his soul mate. They were meant to be.”

I rolled my eyes. “That doesn’t mean anything, Marie.”

“It means,” she said in a firm tone, “that Ian is in love with you.”

My jaw dropped. “What?!”

She nodded. “And you love him.”

I closed my mouth and shook my head slowly. “No…No I don’t.”

“Yes you do.”

“No I don’t.”

Yes, Peyton, you do.”

“I don’t love him!” I yelled at her. I knew I had feelings for Ian, strong feelings that I couldn’t ignore, but I didn’t love him. I refused to love him. I didn’t want to fall in love with a ghost.

“Who don’t you love?” an old, hoarse voice asked behind me.

I jumped and turned around to see Old Man Barton. He took off his brown plaid hat, exposing his thin grey hair, and settled it on the counter in front of him. His eyebrows were raised in a very curious manner.

“No one,” I mumbled.

“Oh, please.” Marie walked over next to me and elbowed me in the side. “Peyton here is in love with this guy, but she just doesn’t know it yet. He’s gorgeous, smart, nice, and completely amazing. A real prince charming and I mean that.”

A smile spread across Barton’s face. “Really now?” He looked at me. “So you’re not asexual at all then, huh?”

I huffed and threw my hands up in the air for effect. “Why do you all care about my love life? Mind your own damn business.”

Marie smiled at me. “Peyton, dear, we’re best friends. And in matters such as these, you need a best friend’s point of view. It’s always best to have other opinions. What do you think, Barton?”

“A guy that finally caught Peyton’s attention?” He whistled. “He must be something.”

“Oh, trust me, he is.” Marie put a hand to her forehead dramatically. “But Peyton won’t realize her feelings for him. What a shame.”

I shook my head. “It’s not what you think… Ian and I, we’re just friends.”

“For now,” Barton remarked.

All of a sudden, Marie smacked herself in the forehead. “Oh my god. I’m such an idiot.”

I frowned. “What?”

Her eyes flashed with panic. “Ethan. I was trying to get you two together… Ian must think I’m horrible!”

Oh yeah. I had forgotten about that. “It’s okay, Marie. You didn’t know.”

“I know, but I should have!” Her eyes were screaming apologies at me. “I forgot all about your Subway dude. I didn’t even think about him.”

I shrugged. “Just forget about it. It doesn’t matter now.”

She sighed and gave me a weak smile. “Was he jealous at least? Jealousy is always a good sign.”

I thought back. Was he jealous? There was that cold air… Could that have been him? That cold air always came around when a situation arose that a guy would get jealous. It made sense. “Maybe,” I replied, shrugging. “I don’t think he was really jealous though…”

Barton laughed. “Yeah, right. He was jealous, trust me. Guys won’t show their emotions to the girl they like. We’re afraid it will make us seem wimpy. Or, at least, that’s how I feel when I talk to Barbara and see her with her husband.”

Marie rolled her eyes. “Barton, you’re going to have to get over that. It is her husband after all.”

He scoffed. “That bastard doesn’t deserve someone like her. She deserves someone who would treat her like a queen.”

I smiled at him. “In other words, you?”

“Yes,” he replied with a huge grin on his face. “Someone like me.”

Poor Barton. He was in love with Barbara Grey, but they couldn’t be together because she didn’t want to divorce her husband. She coulddivorce him, but she just didn’t. We all knew she liked Barton, but her husband was the only thing in the way. I felt so bad for Bart.

I laughed mentally in my head. It kind of reminded me of Ian and my relationship. The only difference was Ian was a ghost. That was the obstacle in our way.

Everyone wanted Mrs. Grey to get over her cheating husband, so maybe I should push aside the fact that Ian was a ghost. I mean, it wasn’t that big of a deal right? Plus, something was changing with that fact. I know this might sound absurd, but what if Ian was becoming less…ghost. What if Ian was becoming human somehow?
♠ ♠ ♠
Bear with me people! The chapters are slow getting out there, but they are getting out there. I'm really sorry. You have no idea how hard it is to write about someone's feelings when you're having confusing and emotional feelings of your own.

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, or subscribes! I really appreciate it!!!