You're a Ghost, So Why Can I See You?

Cramped In a Closet

The whole home side stood up and cheered, including me.

Now, I never really liked football, but this game was certainly something. It was fixing to be half time and our team just scored a touchdown making the score 32-29. The tension was high and everyone was yelling and shouting. I actually liked it. I had a big fortyish guy sitting on one side of me, and Marie on the other along with Adam on her other side.

This wasn’t a planned thing or anything, we just happened to bump into each other. Apparently, Marie and Adam weren’t on a “date” or anything like that. They just happened to “accidentally” bump into each other here also.

“I’m so happy for you, Peyton!” Marie said loudly so I could hear her over the cheering.

I frowned, but still had a big smile on my face from all the excitement. “What? Why?”

She brushed her curly black hair out of her face and grinned at me. “You’re finally letting loose! Don’t you see? All you needed was a guy in your life.”

What was she talking about? Ian wasn’t in my life…

“I mean,” Marie continued, “you turn every guy down that has ever liked you, and now you’re finally opening up. Everyone always knew you and Ethan were destined to be together. I’m glad you’ve finally come to realize that too.”

RING! The buzzer sounded, signaling half-time.

We, including everyone else in the stands, all stood up automatically and proceeded slowly towards the concession/bathroom area.

I wasn’t withany guy. I didn’t have a guy in my life. Ethan was just a friend and that’s all he’d ever be. People just needed to stay out of my love life!

“Hey,” Adam said. “I’m gonna get something from the stand. You guys want anything?”

I shook my head. “No thanks.”

“I’ll go with you,” Marie said with a very friendly tone.

I rolled my eyes as the two lovebirds condensed into the huge crowd. They were perfect for each other. You could tell just by looking at them. Marie’s eyes were always shining bright when she looked at him, and Adam’s grin was always there when he looked at her. True love. That’s what that was. Many search for it, but only a few really find it... Or something like that anyways.

With nothing else to do, I decided to go to the bathroom. There was a huge line that went outside the building and around the corner. There was no way I was going to wait for that. Instead, I went in the building to wash my hands. Hardly anyone ever washed their hands anymore.

“So, did you watch that quarterback?” asked one girl to another. “He’s sooo dreamy.”

I dispensed soap into my hands and turned on the faucet.

“Yeah,” said the other girl. “I swear he looked straight at me and smiled when he scored that last touchdown. Did you see it?”

“No, he was looking at me! Why would he look at you?”

“Because I’m prettier than you, duh.”

“Whatever. You wish!”

“You bitch!”

I exhaled loudly once I was through washing my hands and left the bathroom. I know I may sound like one of those girls in there, but Ethan smiled at me.Even as nice and thoughtful as the gesture was, I felt kind of bad for him. He’s had a thing for me for years, and I made it clear that I wasn’t interested, but he just wouldn’t give up.

It wasn’t like I could safely have a boyfriend anyways. If my dad ever found out…who knew what he’d do to me. Mom wouldn’t really care if I had a boyfriend, but Dad, he would. He wants to be sure that he’s the only guy “with” me. I felt like puking just thinking about it.

“Hey!” someone called behind me. “Peyton!”

I stopped walking and turned around to see who it was. Pushing their way through the cloud was none other than Ethan. God, I didn’t want to see or talk to him right now. I wasn’t in the mood. I turned back around and began pushing my way through the crowd, away from Ethan.

“Whoa!” I shrieked, running into someone’s chest. “I’m really sorry. Excuse me.” I tried to maneuver my way past the person, but they caught my wrist. “Hey, bud-”

“Peyton,” they said in a light voice.

Shock ran through my body at the sound of his voice, and I looked up to see his face. “Ian,” I muttered. “What are you, uh, doing here?”

He grinned, letting go of my wrist, and motioned around him. “The game,” he said, though it sounded more like shouting because it was so loud.

I stood there with my mouth open, not sure what to say. I didn’t expect to see him here at all. In fact, I didn’t really expect to see him again, ever.

“Peyton!” a shout rang out over the crowd.

Ian turned around and looked around. “Who’s that?”

I shook my head. “Uh, no one. Look, I’ll see you later, okay?”

I didn’t want to leave Ian, but I had too. There was no way I was going to get stuck with Ethan, who knew what he wanted. Plus, I didn’t want him to do something like asking me out or mentioning the “date” in front of Ian.

I rushed behind the corner of a building and leaned against the wall in the dark shade. The loudness of the crowd was instantly dimmed.

“Whew,” I said to myself. “That was close.” I watched as a few people walked by the building, talking to their friends or eating some popcorn. Right when I thought it was safe to emerge from behind the building, a tall guy in a football uniform walked past. It was difficult to keep myself from shrieking.

Ethan stopped a little ways away and looked around. If he turned around, I’d be caught.

I decided to make a quick run for it. I slowly crept over to the edge of the building then darted around the corner. But once again, I slammed into someone.

“Peyton?”

Panic exploded into my mind. Ethan probably heard my name. Quickly, I looked around for somewhere to hide. I stopped a nearby door, grabbed Ian’s hand before he could react, and pulled him towards the door. I flung open the door and went inside it, slamming the door behind me.

Complete silence. It was pitch black and all noise from outside was blocked out. The only sound was Ian and mine breathing. I fiddled around for a light switch.

CLICK

The room was instantly illuminated. We were in a tiny, cramped janitor’s closet.

“Peyton?” Ian asked again, this time very confused.

I sighed in relief. “Sorry about that. I was hiding from a guy…”

It was silent for a moment, but then Ian erupted into laughter. Soon, I joined in. I was hiding from one guy in a janitor’s closet with another guy I barely knew. How strange was that?

As our laughter subsided, I stared at Ian. His brown eyes were sparkling and a big grin was plastered on his face. My heart rate increased and I couldn’t get rid of the smile on my face when his eyes met mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, or subscribes! I really appreciate it!