You're a Ghost, So Why Can I See You?

Alone Under the Stars

“You’re really something, you know that?”

I felt myself blush as Ian smiled softly at me. The room wasn’t big at all, so there was a foot between us at most. I didn’t know what I wanted to happen, and I couldn’t explain it with words, but I wanted to “be” with him. That wasn’t even close to the right word, but that was the best way I could explain the feeling tugging in my chest.

“I’m just like everyone else,” I muttered, looking down at the floor, with a slight smile, trying to show that the compliment didn’t mean as much to me as it really did.

Ian chuckled and surprised me when he cupped my chin and brought my face up.

“You are not like everyone else, Peyton,” he said softly with a feathery type tone.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if he could hear my heart beating as loud as it was. Why was he here? And I don’t mean at the game, I mean here, with me, in this janitor’s closet. Of course it was because I dragged him in here, but he could have left. But he didn’t. Did that mean something?

“You have no idea how special you are,” Ian continued to say softly. “You’re so beautiful…” his voice trailed off as he stared into my eyes and leaned down slightly.

By this time, his smell and just presence in general was too overwhelming for me to think straight. So, naturally, because I wasn’tthinking straight, I leaned in too. My heart was literally fixing to jump out of my chest.

Ever so slowly, our lips got closer and closer until I could feel Ian’s breath on my lips. And just as my eyes were closing and our lips about to touch, I spotted something that made me scream and jump away from Ian, backing against the walls as close as I could.

“What?!” he asked in a panicked voice.

A violent, involuntary shiver ran throughout my body.

“What’s wrong?” Ian asked again.

Gradually, the shiver stopped, but the goose bumps were still there. “Spider,” I mumbled.

Ian’s face instantly went from panicked to amused in an instant. “Spider?”

I lifted my hand and pointed to the wall behind him, right where a HUGE black tarantula was settled on the wall. Now, I’m not really scared of spiders or anything, but like every normal human being, I’m terrifiedof tarantulas.

Ian smiled at me and turned around, facing the spider. He seemed hesitant as if what to do, but then he walked forward and placed his hands in front and behind the spider.

“What are doing?!” I asked. What if he got bit?! “Don’t touch it!”

The tarantula gently stepped onto Ian’s hand and sat there.

“See,” he said. “They’re not bad. They just look scary is all.”

I scrunched up my nose. “It’s still scary. And don’t hold it in front of me. It might jump…”

Ian chuckled and opened the door. “Can we go out now, or do you want to stay in here?”

I looked around and shivered one last time, imagining thousands of little tarantulas hiding, watching me. “Go go go,” I said, pushing his back.

I practically slammed the door behind us. Ah, the power of the mind.

“Say bye,” Ian said lightly, waving at the grass.

I eyed the tarantula that was making its way towards who knew where, and then Ian who was smiling at it. “You’re really weird, you know that?”

He quit waving and turned to me. “So who is it that you were hiding from?” he asked, looking around.

I groaned and ruffled my hair. “No one. Well, actually, he’s a friend. He thinks we’re soul mates or something.”

Ian raised his eyebrows at me. “You don’t believe in soul mates?”

“I don’t know,” I said, shrugging. “I think it’d be great if it did, but I don’t really believe that there’s that one person out there for everyone. I think most people just give up and settle for what they can get.”

“Why don’t you settle with Ethan then?”

“Because I will never lo-” I cut myself off and thought for a second. “How did you know his name? I don’t think I ever mentioned it…” I trailed off thinking about it. I didn’t say his name, did I? I guess it could have slipped somewhere…

Ian froze then rubbed the back of his neck. “You mentioned it.”

I frowned. Huh. “Really? I guess I just don’t remember.”

“Yeah, you said it right when you pulled me into that closet with you.” He took a deep breath and motioned for us to walk. I shrugged it off and started to walk.

The arena was empty now, all except for a few janitors cleaning. We must have stayed in that closet longer than I thought. It was so quiet and peaceful now, almost romantic. The stars were glistened about and the moon was out. And the air was warm and comforting, not cool or crisp.

No one said anything as we walked towards the deserted bleachers. It was a calm, content silent though. Something about this just felt…right. We walked up the big steps and up to the middle of the stands, and then took a seat.

“Ian,” I whispered softly as we looked out across the field. “Tell me about you.”

“What?”

I sighed. “I don’t know anything about you… And I wanna know.”

“Uh, okay,” he ran a hand through his golden hair, “What do you want to know exactly?”

I shrugged. “What do you like to do? Your hobbies.”

Ian turned his head and smiled at me. “I like rugby, and cats, and chocolate cake. My favorite color is purple and drink is tea. I sleep on my stomach at night. I love the rain, and I love the thought that something exists beyond now.” Ian laughed. “What more do you want to know?”

Wow. That was a lot to take it.

But see what I was talking about? Ian’s not like others. He’s…different. Most guys would be afraid to admit some of that stuff, but not him. He’s not afraid to be himself. A natural Prince Charming. He’s real, and, corny as it may sound, he’s my kind of perfect.

“So…” I said, staring ahead. “You’re favorite color is purple?”

“Purple’s the answer to everything, you know,” he answered slyly.

I laughed and looked at him. “You’re okay, Ian. You’re a really great guy.” I looked up into the sparkling sky and smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
1 comment for the last chapter? I'm very, very disappointed. Buuuut oh well.
Fourth of July is Saturday people! Excited about seeing the pretty fireworks? I am!

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, or subscribes! I really appreciate it!