Frankie

Introduction to Frankie

Frankie was a normal 16 year old. There was just one difference between her and the other kids at her school, she was a punk, and proud of it. She didn't really have any friends because everyone thought she was a freak. This didn't bother her at all though, she loved being different and never wanted to be the typical bottle blonde preppy or a chav, which most of the girls in her school aspired to be or already were.

She had short brown hair, which had been dyed a sort of bright purple, blue eyes, which always had a thick ring of eyeliner around them and had about 5 or 6 piercing in each ear as well as a nose piercing. She usually wore jeans, which were cut off just bellow the knee with crazy coloured striped socks, and one of her many band T-shirts. The school she went to had an ugly uniform, it consisted of a navy blue blazer, white shirt, green tie with gold coloured stripes running through it and black pants or a green skirt. She hated it but she had customized her uniform slightly so she didn't feel as ridiculous. Her blazer had a Ramones patch on the pocket and her tie was covered in random badges. She had been repeatedly told to remove them but the teachers had given up on her. She also wore one of her many pairs of converse, usually either the red or the green ones.

She was treated like shit most of the time and got called a Goth on a daily basis. People were always throwing stuff and insults at her but she had learned to put up with it and stick up for herself. Her school records reflected this. She had been suspended so many times for fighting and throwing chairs across the classroom at people that she had lost count. She was surprised she hadn't been thrown out permanently.
Her parents were never home and she was an only child, she used this to her advantage. She skived school a lot just so she didn't have to end the day in a fight, well besides the fact that she couldn't be arsed with the school work that she never did anyway.

Her Mum was a lawyer and worked 2 towns over in Padiham, it was about an hour's drive away, so she usually saw her Mum about 3 to 5 times a week. Whereas her Dad worked in Manchester city centre he was the executive of a worldwide company and she only saw him once a week if she was in. She didn't really bother much about her parents because she never really got on with them so she didn't she the point. She spent most of her time down by the canal just sitting around thinking up songs and stuff or sitting behind her drum kit, it was a great stress reliever and she went on them most days after school.

***

"FRANKIE, GET YOUR ARSE OUTTA BED NOW, THE TAXI WILL BE HERE IN JUST OVER AN HOUR!" Her Mum shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." Frankie moaned to herself as she rolled out of bed and walked into her bathroom.

She jumped in the shower and screamed in shock as she realised she had pressed the cold button instead of the hot.

"Shit, that was freezing!" she thought out loud to herself as she pressed the right button.

She finished her shower and got dressed then she applied her eyeliner, and made sure everything she wanted was packed. She took one last look at her empty room and went downstairs and had a coffee while waiting for the taxi to arrive.

Her Dad had been referred to the offices in San Francisco so they were moving to Berkeley, one of the neighbouring towns. She was looking forward to moving there and leaving the preppy and chav filled shit hole behind. She hoped it would be much nicer living there and hoped she would at least find a few people like her that would want to be her friends.

The Taxi soon arrived and they all climbed in. They were flying out from Leeds airport, which Frankie found strange because they usually went from Manchester if they were going on holiday. Her Dad had told her it was because all the flights from Manchester were taken and the next flight wouldn't be leaving till the morning. He was due to start work in San Francisco in just over a day so they had to take the earliest flight they could get.

The flight lasted about 11 hours, it finally landed in San Francisco international at about 6:20pm (San Francisco time), Frankie had been asleep for half of the flight seeing as she had been woken up at about 6am (England time) plus there was nothing to do but stare out of the window at practically nothing, either that or read, which she found equally just as boring as staring at clouds.

They picked up their bags and headed out to the taxi that was waiting for them. It took just over an hour to get to their new house in Berkeley.

"Wow, this is awesome." Frankie said as she got out of the car. "Its so quiet, this is gonna take some getting used to."

The moving van pulled up about 10 minutes later. Frankie ran over to grab a box of her stuff and to make sure all her stuff was there and in one piece. She started to take her boxes into the house.

"Mum which room is mine?" she asked.

"Which ever room you want, just not the front bedroom to the right, that ones ours." Her mum answered.

"Ok thanks."

Frankie went upstairs with a box labelled CYMBALS, STICKS AND STANDS, DO NOT DROP OR THROW UNLESS YOU WANT A STICK SHOVED WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE! She turned left as she got to the top of the stairs. She wanted to be on the opposite side of the house to her Mum and Dad just because the further away from them she was the louder she could play her music till the early hours of the morning. She stopped at the end of the landing and went in a decent sized room that had a view of the back garden.

"This'll do." She said to herself as she put the box down in the corner where she pictured her drum kit.

She went back downstairs to grab some more stuff and took it back up to her room. The moving guys followed her up with her bed and a chest of drawers.

"Put the bed there under the window," she said pointing to the wall opposite the door. "And the drawers there." She pointed to the space next to the bathroom door.

She went back downstairs to pick up her drums. As she got downstairs one of the moving guys was walking in through the door with her snare.

"ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! WHAT THE HELL, WHO SAID YOU COULD TOUCH THAT, PUT IT DOWN NOW!" She shouted at the guy, he nearly dropped the snare from the shock.

"Sorry, I was only helping." He answered looking slightly scared.

"Sorry, I just don't like people touching my drums that's all, I'll take them upstairs." She told him looking relieved that they were all in one piece.

"Oh, ok I'll leave it to you then." The guy said as he walked back over to the van.

She took each drum upstairs and set them up before she started unpacking all her stuff. Two of the movers came into her room carrying her wardrobe.

"Where do you want this?" asked one of the guys.

"Just put it anywhere, I'll move it after." She answered while sorting out her hi-hats.

She sorted her room out then went downstairs. It was now about 9:15pm so she decided to make herself some coffee and watch a bit of TV. The rest of the house was in a bit of a mess still but all the furniture was in place so the mess didn't bother her. It got to about 11pm and Frankie decided to go to bed. She had to be up early again as tomorrow was her first day at Berkeley high.

***

"BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!"

Her alarm was going off, it was 6am. She pressed the snooze button and turned over falling back asleep almost instantly. 10 minutes later her alarm went off again, she decided that it would be best to get up this time seeing as she had to be at school by about 8am. She rolled out of bed and got her usual uniform out of her wardrobe then went for a shower. 15 minutes later she walked out of the bathroom humming a random tune. She went over to her stereo and put in one of her Bad Religion albums.

"Coz you are the government, you jurisprudence." She sang along.

She turned around to get dressed and realised that she didn't need her shitty uniform anymore. She threw it in a corner and went back over to her wardrobe and got out some light coloured jeans cut off just bellow the knee and a Ramones T-shirt. She then went over to her drawers and took out a pair of purple and black striped socks. She got dressed and put on her green converse.

"Finally I can dress how I want for school," she said to herself as she walked over to her mirror to apply her eyeliner. She combed her hair and sprayed some hairspray onto it to hold it in place. She picked up her empty school bag, went downstairs and got some coffee and toast before the bus came.

"Mum the bus is here see you whenever." She said as she went out of the door.

"Bye Frankie." Her mum replied as the door slammed shut.