Frankie

Frankies First Day At Berkeley High

She walked onto the bus and sat at an empty seat behind the driver. The bus made another two stops then arrived at school. She went through the doors and followed a sign to the school office.

"Hi, I'm the new girl, Frankie Simmons. I've come to pick up my schedule." She said to the woman behind the desk.

"Ok then, let's have a see.....well it hasn't been printed off yet but it should be ready after break so if you come and pick it up at about 10:30 that would be great." The woman answered.

"Oh, ok then, well can you please tell me what my first lesson is and where I can find the classroom?"

"Yes of course, one second....right, you're in world history with Miss Rogers in room 120, which is up the stairs and to your right." Explained the woman.

"Ok, thanks." Answered Frankie walking over to the door.

She walked down the corridor and up the stairs till she came to the next floor. She walked down the corridor to her right looking at the number of each room until she finally came across the right room halfway down the corridor. She stood outside for a few minutes and waited for the bell to ring before going through the door. As she walked in everyone was taking their seats so she sat in an empty one to the right in between a nerd and a preppy girl. As she sat down she felt eyes staring at her so she turned around to find the preppy staring at her with an 'oh my god what the hell is she wearing' look plastered on her fake tanned looking face.

A tall slim woman with auburn hair walked into the room.

"Ok class, settle down." She said as she walked over to her desk. "We have a new student all the way from England, would you like to come up here and introduce yourself Miss Simmons."

Frankie felt her cheeks going red but got up and slowly walked to the front of the class.

"Hi... ermm... my name's Frankie Simmons. I moved here from the north of England coz my Dad got referred to one of the offices over in San Francisco." She said nervously as she scanned the room, spotting some strange looking people in the process. She thought one guy looked really weird but cool at the same time. He had bright green hair and was sat with his leg on the desk drawing some silly cartoon or something on it.

"Ermm....I've been here in Berkeley for just over a day now. We moved into our house yesterday and from what I've seen so far it seems pretty nice here." She continued.

"Ok, thank you Frankie. Any questions class?" asked Miss Rogers. "Yes Samantha."

"Ok, so like, do you live in a big house with like a pool?" asked this Samantha girl.

"Ermm... well, yeah its kinda big and it has a small pool." Frankie answered the question while thinking that this Samantha was a total airhead.

"Anyone else?" Miss Rogers asked again. "Yes Adrienne."

"What was the town like you lived in back in England?" Adrienne asked.

"It was ok, I guess. There wasn't really much to do there besides sit by the canal so it got kinda boring." Frankie answered.

"Ok if everyone's done we will begin the lesson." Said Miss Rogers.

"Oh Miss I have one more question." Exclaimed Adrienne.

"Ok then, go ahead."

"So Frankie, do you play any instruments." Asked Adrienne.

"Yeah, I can play the drums." Answered Frankie. As she did the guy with the green hair shot his head up from his leg drawing.

"Hell yeah, that's awesome, so do I." Said the guy.

"Frank Edwin Wright, calm down and get your leg off the table." Miss Rogers Urged. "You may take your seat now Frankie."

She walked over to her seat and sat down. Miss Rogers had started the lesson but she wasn't paying attention like usual.

"That is so freaky and a bit of a coincidence." She thought to herself. "His name is practically the same as mine and he plays the drums, weird. I like his hair, it's cool. He's kinda cute too. That Adrienne seems really cool too, I love her hair it looks really awesome with the half dreads look."

After the random thoughts stopped rolling around in her head she started doodling in her notebook.

"What year did the USA declare war on Germany, Frankie?" Miss Rogers asked.

"What Miss?" Frankie answered, feeling her cheeks turning a slight shade of pink.

"What year did the USA declare war on Germany?" She asked again.

"Ermmm....I dunno....1923." Answered Frankie with no clue whatsoever.

"Well if you were listening you should have answered 1917, pay attention next time." Stated Miss Rogers.

"Whatever!" Frankie thought to herself as she continued her doodling.

Finally the bell went for the end of the lesson. Frankie got up and walked out of the door. She had no idea where anything was and just happened to need the toilet. She saw that girl, Adrienne, making her way down the corridor so she decided to catch up with her.

"Hi, ermm....Adrienne, right?" she said as she caught up to her.

"Hi, yeah I'm Adrienne but you can call me Adie, everyone else does. You're Frankie, right?"

"Yeah, could you show me around a bit coz I haven't got my schedule or map yet so I have no idea where everything is, and I kinda need the toilet." Frankie asked looking hopeful that she had made a friend.

"Yeah course I can, just follow me."

They went to the toilets and then Adie decided to introduce Frankie to some of her friends. They walked down a corridor and out of a door into the school grounds. There was a large grass banking around a corner. They went around the other side of it and met up with Adie's friends.

"Hey this is a nifty little hiding place." Said Frankie as they walked over to Adie's friends.

"Yeah we hang here so no one bothers us."

"Hey, Adie." Said a shortish guy with dark hair as he walked over and kissed Adie on the cheek. "Who's your friend?"

"Guys this is Frankie Simmons, Frankie this is Billie Joe Armstrong my boyfriend, Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool, you may know him as Frank Edwin Wright from our world history class." She said as she pointed out each friend.

"Oh yeah, how could I forget the loud green haired one that draws on his leg." Frankie answered. "Nice to meet you all."

"Hey cool, you're English." Said Mike.

"How can you tell." She replied sarcastically. "So what do you guys do when you're not in school then?"

"Well we hang out at 924 Gilman Street at the weekend. It's an all ages club. Either that or we hang out in my garage." Answered Billie.

"Cool, so do bands play at this club and what do you do while hanging out in your garage?" asked Frankie curious to know what her new found friends do for fun.

"Yeah some great bands play there like Operation Ivy, Husker Du and Blatz, amongst others. We usually have band practice in my garage, well besides just hanging out and getting stoned." Billie explained.

"Sounds fun. So who's in this band then, is it just you guys?"

"Yeah, I play the drums as you heard in class, Billie is the guitarist and singer and Mike plays bass." Answered Tre.

"What's it called then?" She asked again.

"We were called Sweet Children, but we decided it was kinda lame so we changed it to Green Day." Answered Mike.

"Ok, cool." Replied Frankie.

They sat around and talked a while longer until the bell went for class. Frankie went and got her schedule and map of the school and then went to her next lesson.

The rest of the day seemed to pass by pretty quickly and it helped that either Adie, Billie, Mike or Tre was in each lesson she had as it made it go just that bit faster plus it gave her someone to talk to.